Singapore Expats

Corporal Punishment in Schools

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
ChrisJB

Corporal Punishment in Schools

Post by ChrisJB » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 3:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I will soon have a newborn son! So, I must think about his future in Singapore. I see that the government encourages caning ("suitable punishment") in schools, but how is it done? Please could someone in the know tell me:
  • What is it done for, and for what age groups? How Often?
  • How severe is it?
  • Do parents have a say?
  • Is it specific to local schools?
  • Is this video realistic?
I'm sure there must be threads on this, but I couldn't find them even with the advanced search options. Sorry if so.
You can probably guess my opinion on the matter, but please don't start a debate here. I'm hoping for the facts.

thank you for your help

Chris

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Corporal Punishment in Schools

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 6:05 pm

The caning in the clip is a put up. usually it's not done in the front of the class and it's usually not enough to break the skin but it will remind them of what will happen if you don't amend your ways and end up in prison, where the caning WILL break the skin and scar you for life, both mentally and physically. My suggestion? Raise your kids correctly and be mindful of them when they get to the age where they start to trying to push their boundries. I was brought up on the wrong end of a razor strap, but by my father, not the school. My school used a paddle that had half inch holes drilled in and it hurt. However, in the US, now a parent can't even touch their child without being thrown into jail. I made my kids go through the local school system here from Kindergarten till they finished their schooling. Never had any problems. As long as you do "your" job as a parent, you shouldn't have to worry about the school caning your child. I'm glad it there as well. As to what garners a caning, I reckon that gangsterism, fighting, that sort of thing.

Oh, for the record, I'm all for caning as it's done in the schools here. It usually whips some sense into the kids so they don't end up in Changi Prison where it will scar you for life. And, I'm an American. I wish it would be implemented there. Maybe the young there would learn some respect.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 01 Jun 2016 10:44 pm

I was confused with how it conflates caning in prison with supposed caning in school. I never attended school in SG (just to be clear to newbies here) but I don't believe when it happens, it happens in this almost penal and brutal way.

I got caned 3 times at school in the UK. Twice when I deserved it, and once where they got the wrong guy. Once one stroke, another two, and another time 'six of the best'. The first was in front of the class immediately after I'd clearly been throwing plants around in a biology class. I forget the reasons (one true, the other alleged) behind the other two, but they were in private in the masters study.

Yes they bl£*dy well hurt, but that was the point. In retrospect I probably was already well off the tracks and they reined me *right* back in. I'd already had 101 warnings re: behaviour previously, detentions, lines, you name it, so I can't claim I didn't deserve it (barring that single instance of 'the wrong guy'. But if you run with that herd that's what happens eh). You as a parent will have had ample warning, esp these days now that communications between parent and school is so much easier.

Despite or perhaps because of my experience I'm actually pro caning in school. The kind I experienced, not the kind pictured which I'm sure is fictitious/exaggerated/dramatised for impact.

ps. In your shoes I think I might be more concerned about the alleged lack of critical thinking ability that is engendered in pupils in SG. That's perhaps far more damaging than a teacher trying to help a pupil from going completely off the rails via [the possible extreme of] corporal punishment.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 11:02 am

It almost never happens now. I too freaked out a bit but I was told that it's really for hardened little wannabe crims, not normal kids. My son certainly was never caned AFAIK.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 11:51 am

Mine was never caned either, but thinking back it might have been warranted if his current problems are any indication. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Thu, 02 Jun 2016 12:20 pm

Rulers on knuckles & flying erasers seemed to have stopped maybe around 10-15 years ago. It seems parents have become more protective of their kids & started complaining like American parents about public discipline. Teachers took notice when some stories got published in the papers.
The times have changed.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 9:46 am

JR8 wrote:
ps. In your shoes I think I might be more concerned about the alleged lack of critical thinking ability that is engendered in pupils in SG. That's perhaps far more damaging than a teacher trying to help a pupil from going completely off the rails via [the possible extreme of] corporal punishment.
Caning is one of the contributors to an overall culture of suppression of the individuals and critical thinking. If you do not toe the line, we will make sure you pay for it. And we gonna use force and coercion until you submit to our demands! It is inherently vengeful in nature.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Jun 2016 7:10 pm

earthfriendly wrote: Caning is one of the contributors to an overall culture of suppression of the individuals and critical thinking. If you do not toe the line, we will make sure you pay for it. And we gonna use force and coercion until you submit to our demands! It is inherently vengeful in nature.
[Squint] :)
Therefore by extension aren't all rules and laws? The idea of boundaries for the good of broader society.
My throwing a plant from my lab bench at the head of another nearby pupil on another bench was very publicly breaking the order required for others in which to best get educated. Hence I got punished in front of the class, in order to show everyone that such disruption would not be tolerated. Seems reasonable to me.

I was about 15 at the time; never thought I'd end up discussing it all these years later :) Anyway it taught me a lesson, and FWIW I went on to get an A in biology O-level, and again later in the A-level. (Back in the days when that an A in anything was pretty stand-point, ie the opposite of today!)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:00 am

Corporal punishment is administered only in government schools for all ages, and only boys may be caned.

They can only be administered by the Principal, or by any staff she designates (normally a VP or the Head of Discipline). The punishment is administered only after the parents are informed, and may be administered privately (in the Principal's office) or publicly (on stage at the school morning assembly). The punishment is administered with a cane (thin enough not to injure bones, thick enough not to split the skin) on either the palm or the buttocks.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Corporal Punishment in Schools

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:03 am

Sensei Michael wrote:Corporal punishment is administered only in government schools for all ages, and only boys may be caned.

They can only be administered by the Principal, or by any staff she designates (normally a VP or the Head of Discipline). The punishment is administered only after the parents are informed, and may be administered privately (in the Principal's office) or publicly (on stage at the school morning assembly). The punishment is administered with a cane (thin enough not to injure bones, thick enough not to split the skin) on either the palm or the buttocks.
????

Source ????

Sensei Michael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sensei Michael » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:05 am

I was formerly the Head of Pastoral Care and Pupil Welfare in a government school.
In the field of education since 1999. Principal: Frankel Tutors Pte Ltd

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 11:58 am

Sensei Michael wrote:I was formerly the Head of Pastoral Care and Pupil Welfare in a government school.
And Sensei endorses caning ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:00 pm

He was giving information. You looking for a fight this morning? Bored at work izzit? ;-)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:He was giving information. You looking for a fight this morning? Bored at work izzit? ;-)
I am trying my best to understand how Ecureilx jr should be handled should he misbehave .. serious question

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:24 pm

I'm in tears of laughter. Tell Ecureilx Jr he will "have to serve NS and daddy will not cancel his PR if you misbehave again!".

ROFLMAO! :lol: :lol:
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!