Singapore Expats

ECP - Good Area for 26M Single guy?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Hatem

ECP - Good Area for 26M Single guy?

Post by Hatem » Sun, 29 May 2016 6:51 pm

Hello Guys,
As I mentioned during a previous post, I found what looks like a good flat on Nestia.

The flat is 1000 square meters, two bedrooms (one is a master bedroom with a private bathroom), one common bathroom, a kitchen with gas fires, big fridge, and a nice living room plus balcony.

It is located about 7 minutes bus from Bedok, basically between Bedok and East Coast Park.
5 minutes to Siglap center, many busses goes around in the morning and 10e/14e brings me to where I work in approximately 28 minutes (otherwise it might take around 40 or 30 if I take 7 min bus to Bedok plus metro to Raffles Place).

The price looks extremely appealing: 2500SGD a month.
The building has bbq pits, a very tiny gym (which is better than nothing, but are just two, three machines) and a nice pool - so it has the facilities I was looking for.

Now the question is: what do you think about the area?
I gave a look to Street View and it looks very nice, a lot of green, no big buildings around, very quite, not far from the beach and many eateries around.

I am 26, Male, Single.
I do like to go out on the weekend (no issues in going back with Taxi), clubbing, drinks and restaurant.
For the rest nothing much, I play basketball and football and I will work downtown.
No plan to buy a car, no plan to rent a car, I might allocate few thousands for a little scooter probably in a near future.

What do you think?
Would bedok fits me or do you think it is too far?

Currently I live at approximately 25-30 minutes commute time from my work.
(But very uncomfortable - Huge long stairs to take the metro, and a lot of walk involved).

Thanks a lot!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: ECP - Good Area for 26M Single guy?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 May 2016 7:37 pm

'Nestia' which is a SGn property portal rather than the Nestia condo which is on the west coast - I'm assuming.
1000ft 2-bed condo for $2500. On the face of it that sounds good. Hard to comment further without knowing which condo. But you can go to ura.gov.sg and see what the Q1-16 rental prices recorded on the building were, which should give you a feel for it you're in the ball-park.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Hatem

Post by Hatem » Sun, 29 May 2016 7:44 pm

Eastbay condominium.
Nestia I meant the website :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 May 2016 8:20 pm

URA records two rentals in that building this past year, but it's not a big complex. Both took place in April 15. Size 1200-1300. So similar to your option. One at $3200, the other at $3350.
Don't know how well the link might or might not work if I copy and paste it... https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action

Hatem

Post by Hatem » Sun, 29 May 2016 8:22 pm

I gave a look to that and that is why I think pricewise it is very good.
What do you think about the area considering my age etc..?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 29 May 2016 8:50 pm

Did you look at the 'Where should I live' FAQ/template? It's a Sticky topic in this sub part of the forum. It's just as it is you're enquiring about one building, and asking if it fits well vs your wishes, many of which are unstated.
It's often better to start by, via the FAQ, outlining your circumstances and needs, then asking for suggestions. That can yield one or more candidate neighbourhoods and possibly several buildings to then compare vs each other.

I've never lived out on the East Coast, but been over that way now and again esp for the East Coast Park, and watersports. The seafood centres on the coast. And the F+B scene, pubs etc around Joo Chiat. All of those aspects I thoroughly enjoy; but that's about the depth of my knowledge of that side of the island. There are some other East Coast residents here though, so hopefully they can give you their thoughts. [The forum can get quiet over the w/e... so, 'patience is a virtue' as they say ;)]

Hatem

Post by Hatem » Sun, 29 May 2016 11:12 pm

Here the template:

Priorities:
- your budget: 3000SGD
- your workplace/s: Raffles Place
- the size and/or type of property that you are seeking: 2 bedroom flat, condo with swimming pool and gym facilities
- will you have a car here? No
- proximity to transport required: No more than 5 minutes to a bus or a MRT stop by walk. No more than 5 minutes bus to MRT.

Nice to have:
- will you need to be able to say walk to the local shops, a library, your doctor, a market, and so on?
Yes - I would need to be able to walk to eateries/etc... since I rarely cook.
- access to any specific sport, social, and recreation facilities? Jogging and eventually football/basketball court.

Your current home and commute:
- are you already a city dweller? I live close to the city center of my city, 10 minutes tram from it.
- what is the size and type (apartment, house+garden etc) of your current home? Apartment, 42 square meters.
- what are any current commute times like? Approximately 35 minutes door to door.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 31 May 2016 11:20 am

If I'm looking at the right place then you're in a good spot. But you are just around the corner from the Dog & Bone. I could never walk past that place without getting dragged in for a few hours.

Siglap has a few eateries and bars. Further down the road you have Joo Chiat and Katong. Plenty to keep you occupied if you don't feel like going all the way into town. You also have a Fair Price and Cold Storage within walking distance.

Transport links are good, plenty of buses on both East Coast Rd and Marine Parade.

Having lived in the area and worked at Raffles Place, it's a good choice.