Singapore Expats

Did you make photo books for your family? Please advise!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tammytan85

Did you make photo books for your family? Please advise!

Post by tammytan85 » Tue, 24 May 2016 4:28 pm

Hey All!

As my first child has just been born, I've started thinking more about family, and have come to the realization that my parents have become grandparents and they are getting old.

I want to start a little Family Book for my young one to read and see when he grows up. My dad especially isn't in good health, so if the time comes, I want something for Justin (my son) to remember Ah Gong by. My thoughts are to gather photos and write little captions on each photo.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've did a google search and found so many online photobook printers, anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind paying more for quality!

Thank you!!!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Did you make photo books for your family? Please advise!

Post by bgd » Tue, 24 May 2016 6:06 pm

I've used Blurb for a couple of photo books. Turned out fine. I have a link from within Adobe Lightroom which makes it easier, but I imagine their web interface is fine.

tammytan85

Post by tammytan85 » Wed, 25 May 2016 2:44 pm

Cool! But given that it's US based, did it take long?

I'm looking at local printers and together with shipping from blurb, prices are very similar.

Btw, did you base the photobooks on any themes? I wanted to do a family book but not sure how I'm going to start it.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 25 May 2016 3:02 pm

A couple of weeks I think, wasn't long. They estimate delivery time when ordering and beat their estimates. I was also able to order and send directly to family copies as presents, which worked well.

Didn't use themes, just chose a layout which suited the content.

tammytan85

Post by tammytan85 » Thu, 26 May 2016 12:31 pm

Great thanks for your feedback bgd, much appreciated! I think I'll give it a go to print my books, turnaround is slower but my husband's buddies have used it too. Blurb it shall be!

I was searching for sites to help me with the story books and I found that some gave you questions to ask, so I could make a mini text to go with the images. Seems more fun then my intended captions, although more work.

storyworth.com
rememorystories.com

Does anyone know of any other similar sites? Or tried something more than a photo book? Would love advice...! I have time now till October so I want to make a nice book :)

Andyski

Post by Andyski » Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:32 pm

Hi,

I have been using Photobook to create my photobooks. The site will let you download a software where you can upload your pictures and layout them. In terms of layout, you may choose the themes from the software or custom-design it. Mine, I usually custom-design it. After everything is set, the software will let you upload the file you designed and pay via credit card. Shipping usually takes 2-3 days in my country. You may try this option.

P.S. The file will let you also to save the design in PDF, so you can produce an e-Book album.
tammytan85 wrote:Great thanks for your feedback bgd, much appreciated! I think I'll give it a go to print my books, turnaround is slower but my husband's buddies have used it too. Blurb it shall be!

I was searching for sites to help me with the story books and I found that some gave you questions to ask, so I could make a mini text to go with the images. Seems more fun then my intended captions, although more work.

storyworth.com
rememorystories.com

Does anyone know of any other similar sites? Or tried something more than a photo book? Would love advice...! I have time now till October so I want to make a nice book :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Did you make photo books for your family? Please advise!

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:30 pm

One of the print shops In Sim Lim B1 (print and scan ?) was offering the same....

Didn't enquire much ....

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Sun, 19 Jun 2016 8:36 pm

tammytan85 wrote:Hey All!

As my first child has just been born, I've started thinking more about family, and have come to the realization that my parents have become grandparents and they are getting old.

I want to start a little Family Book for my young one to read and see when he grows up. My dad especially isn't in good health, so if the time comes, I want something for Justin (my son) to remember Ah Gong by. My thoughts are to gather photos and write little captions on each photo.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I've did a google search and found so many online photobook printers, anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind paying more for quality!

Thank you!!!
I tried photobooksingapore. Pretty decent I must say. Delivery is fast.

I also tried snapfish in the early days. Not as flexible then.