Singapore Expats

Subletting HDB and the owner decided to sell!

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
duddms0705

Subletting HDB and the owner decided to sell!

Post by duddms0705 » Sun, 15 May 2016 9:10 pm

Hi I need your advice & help here.

I've been subletting a flat, but recently I've heard that it's sold by owner. We including Maintenant have arranged to stay here by 31st July. But the main tenant mentioned that the security deposit will be returned to me after we move out.

However, My concern is that

1. she will return the deposit after we MOVE OUT because she will do it once the owner returns it.
2. she will stay abroad in Aug for study - it might be EMAIL ONLY to contact her #-o
3. i didn't directly contract with the owner, so i don't know the details arrangement.but i have the agent contact information.

I am quite worried if main tenant won't return the deposit just in case and i don't want to feel cheated. i know it sounds naive but i don't know singapore system and she always said it's what we do in singapore then i don't have anything to say cause i've been here only 1.5 year.

so what do i have to do to prevent from being cheated just in case? just don't pay 2months rent or arrange with agent separately or wait for her to return my deposit after we move out?

Appreciate if you give any advices..living in Singapore is very difficult..... :???:

Thanks in advance

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Subletting HDB and the owner decided to sell!

Post by JR8 » Tue, 17 May 2016 3:31 am

Not easy to divine who is who, and who lives where..... but

Your agreement and depo is with the individual you rented from, not anyone else. If your agreement is with the 'main tenant', then the ultimate owner/landlord if not relevant.

If you paid an agent to find this place, then the second half of their job (that you've presumably paid for) is helping navigate you out of this.

Hard to suggest more, because the arrangements you've made are not very clear.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard