Singapore Expats Forum

Used Car Price

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
redredrum

Used Car Price

Postby redredrum » Sun, 15 May 2016 6:40 pm

I am looking to buy a used Sedan car that is around 4-5 years old. Would any know how the selling price of a used car in Singapore is calculated?

Specifically I'm looking at a Kia or Hyundai since they are known to provide good value and reliability.

Thanks!

PNGMK
Director
Director

Re: Used Car Price

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 16 May 2016 6:48 am

It's calculated on the paper value (i.e. remaning CPF and PARF rebate value) plus a number for the value of the body (which typically reduced to almost nothing for those brands as they get older) plus 'coffeee money'. It really helps if you can find out the 'scrap (paper) value' or even estimate it based on the year/month the car was registered. The owner can look up the scrap value online on the onemotoring website.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 16 May 2016 9:39 am

PNGMK wrote:It's calculated on the paper value (i.e. remaning CPF and PARF rebate value) plus a number for the value of the body (which typically reduced to almost nothing for those brands as they get older) plus 'coffeee money'. It really helps if you can find out the 'scrap (paper) value' or even estimate it based on the year/month the car was registered. The owner can look up the scrap value online on the onemotoring website.

Exactly right... and as a practical matter... go to http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/index.php and search around. You'll see what you can realistically buy/sell.

If you're working a private seller, $$ should be less. Use sgcarmart listings to negotiate with dealers. I got quite a bit off my car, including reduced insurance costs.

alexeyy

Postby alexeyy » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:41 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:It's calculated on the paper value (i.e. remaning CPF and PARF rebate value) plus a number for the value of the body (which typically reduced to almost nothing for those brands as they get older) plus 'coffeee money'. It really helps if you can find out the 'scrap (paper) value' or even estimate it based on the year/month the car was registered. The owner can look up the scrap value online on the onemotoring website.

Exactly right... and as a practical matter... go to http://www.sgcarmart.com/main/index.php and search around. You'll see what you can realistically buy/sell.

sgcarmart can now show you the remaining PARF rebate on an used car, valued today or at date of COE expiration.

The value of the car body at time of COE expiration is a function of the car brand/model, and supply of expiring cars around the same time. There is a healthy market of exporters who are happy to take a nice 10-year Singapore and export to another country (as far as Africa). The last time I shopped, I was quoted 3-4K body value for a small luxury 3-series, and close to 10K for a upscale German convertible. Conditions vary, obviously.

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 19 Apr 2017 8:22 am

alexeyy wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

sgcarmart can now show you the remaining PARF rebate on an used car, valued today or at date of COE expiration.

The value of the car body at time of COE expiration is a function of the car brand/model, and supply of expiring cars around the same time. There is a healthy market of exporters who are happy to take a nice 10-year Singapore and export to another country (as far as Africa). The last time I shopped, I was quoted 3-4K body value for a small luxury 3-series, and close to 10K for a upscale German convertible. Conditions vary, obviously.

Yes good point. That new function in sgcarmart is going to give the used car dealers kittens for sure.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.