Singapore Expats

Map of most expensive MRT stations to live next to

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
tsmgrace

Map of most expensive MRT stations to live next to

Post by tsmgrace » Sat, 14 May 2016 7:03 pm

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Map of most expensive MRT stations to live next to

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 May 2016 7:39 pm

Could be interesting but it doesn't seem to convey very clearly. The only scale is '$2, $4, $6' - what does that mean? Sounds more like MRT fares than rents.
Perhaps there could also be some form of link there, going to the methodology of how the data was extracted and interpreted.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 14 May 2016 8:41 pm

JR8 wrote:Could be interesting but it doesn't seem to convey very clearly. The only scale is '$2, $4, $6' - what does that mean? Sounds more like MRT fares than rents.
Perhaps there could also be some form of link there, going to the methodology of how the data was extracted and interpreted.
Maybe there should be a "K" after the numerals.

tsmgrace

Post by tsmgrace » Sat, 14 May 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I've added more details

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Sat, 14 May 2016 9:47 pm

With the slowdown in the rental market am surprised to see any areas at $6/sq.ft.

tsmgrace

Post by tsmgrace » Sat, 14 May 2016 10:50 pm

maneo wrote:With the slowdown in the rental market am surprised to see any areas at $6/sq.ft.
Yup, probably driven up by luxury condos near the CBD. Especially the smaller units, which tend to have higher ppsf.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Sat, 14 May 2016 11:00 pm

The colour variations don't work very well to convey the prices, lighter blues seem to be higher price than the darker blue, whiter higher than the yellow. You'd be better using gradations of a single colour light to dark.

Mike

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 May 2016 2:44 am

Oh that's better, and indeed interesting.

I can see it would be useful. Someone with a budget of $x and a space requirement of say Yft could delineate the irregular boundary area within which they might look.
Secondly, it reveals anomalies. For example if I were to be working from home, and my spouse commuting by car to work then precise proximity to an MRT doesn't matter so much, so then maybe say 'blue dots' within otherwise green 'zones' reveal relative value...

If you were to take it to one more level (just thinking aloud) you could scale the size of the dots vs the number of units available for rent per area. That way at a click or two, I'd know say 'Caldecott is say 30% cheaper than Toa Payoh, despite being very close, but there is [say] almost nothing to rent there'. I realise that would be a pretty major change to incorporate - so just a thought.
[How close are those two? I know as I know that area, but not everyone will. Can you get a distance-scale on this map somewhere?]

Good stuff and interesting. I've long loved maps, and how they've more recently morphed into geographic 'infographics'.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

valleyman
Regular
Regular

Post by valleyman » Sun, 15 May 2016 7:50 am

Good one. A few suggestions if you have the time:
1) Expand it by doing seperate ones for HDB and condos, or put a filter.
2) Do one for the resale market as well.
3) You can use the size of the bubble to indicate the number of units in the area.
4) Maybe you can also do one for the resale market near upcoming mrt's. This can help people who are looking to buy undervalued properties(if any) with future potential.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 15 May 2016 10:41 am

Good to have this, reminds of a heatmap I saw this week about taxi activity activity.

http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~josepht/taxi.html

mothership.sg/2016/05/nus-student-who-created-singapore-taxi-heat-map-made-several-other-cool-ones-too/

I like the subsites which break down the data.

Like valleyman's suggestion about the size of the circles, which I have seen on reports done in Tableau to show multiple values* (circle color, circle size), what about showing something that indicates numbers of units available vs. occupied?

Maybe another indicator for level of flux/attrition, as I would imagine some areas have move change than others.

*If I find one I will post it.

I see Amber dots but this color is not in the key - maybe a gradient key would work better.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.