Singapore Expats

MALE Dependent Pass Holder wants to work independently

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tanmayb

MALE Dependent Pass Holder wants to work independently

Post by tanmayb » Wed, 11 May 2016 4:03 am

Hello all,
My family and I are soon going to move to Singapore from New York (we are citizens of India). The unusual thing in our case is that my wife is the EP holder, while I am coming on a DP. I do not want to get a job in Singapore and would prefer to work independently.

After going through several chat forums I understand that in usual cases (dependent wives), the DP holder may register a company (proprietorship or pte ltd) and apply for a work permit/EP through it. I read somewhere that in cases other way round (male DP holder) this gets difficult due to cultural factors (males are not supposed to be dependent, eh!). Is this true?

My story: Here in NYC, I am in the profession of social venture capital, wherein I make investments in socially-positive startups and growth businesses. I have very strong credentials and work experience. I am trying to go independent and raise a new VC fund to invest in India and will be flying in and out frequently. I am still in planning and fundraising phase, so don't have substantial capital to be able to get an EntrePass or set up an LP fund (and sponsor myself). However, I do have some consulting contracts from the US that will provide me with an income during my startup phase.

Is there a way I could legally work in Singapore by getting a work permit OR an EP through an entity that I set up?

PS: Our original plan was to end up in India but wifey couldn't get a relevant and rewarding job there. She found one in Singapore and I consented to the move.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: MALE Dependent Pass Holder wants to work independently

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 May 2016 7:09 am

Have you read the threads in the Careers forum regarding DP and the LOC?

nzmarkj

Post by nzmarkj » Wed, 11 May 2016 9:51 am

Especially this one: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... le#p747171 No problem getting Dependent Pass/LOC just because you are male. You may be an object of curiousity though: "What, the women works, you do not?" And also will discover that you cannot be the main account owner for a bank account: You get a supplementary card, and can only see your spending. Your wife has to sign off things like tv and cable and such like. Depending on your outlook your experience can range from hilarious to debilitating.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 11 May 2016 12:20 pm

There's a big problem with a LoC, though: it's for subordinate employment, not for working independently, as Tanmayb requested.

When in doubt, ask the Ministry of Manpower. They routinely answer their e-mail and postal mail, eventually anyway. However, if you can tolerate at least the veneer of subordinate employment -- if there is an employer in Singapore you're willing to work for -- then the LoC path should work. Otherwise, your options are more limited, particularly since you've already eliminated the EntrePass from consideration. Have you looked into the Global Investor Programme?

nzmarkj

Post by nzmarkj » Wed, 11 May 2016 2:51 pm

"There's a big problem with a LoC, though: it's for subordinate employment, not for working independently, as Tanmayb requested."

Not if you set up a Sole Proprietorship, as per the information on the thread.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 11 May 2016 4:38 pm

That's that "veneer" part. Possibly more veneer required nowadays, and no guarantees.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 11 May 2016 9:16 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:That's that "veneer" part. Possibly more veneer required nowadays, and no guarantees.
That "veneer" happens to be the way that all of the freelancers in the LOC threads started their businesses.

tanmayb

Post by tanmayb » Wed, 11 May 2016 11:46 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Have you read the threads in the Careers forum regarding DP and the LOC?
Not before but i'm going through them now. Thanks

tanmayb

Post by tanmayb » Wed, 11 May 2016 11:51 pm

nzmarkj wrote:Especially this one: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... le#p747171 No problem getting Dependent Pass/LOC just because you are male. You may be an object of curiousity though: "What, the women works, you do not?" And also will discover that you cannot be the main account owner for a bank account: You get a supplementary card, and can only see your spending. Your wife has to sign off things like tv and cable and such like. Depending on your outlook your experience can range from hilarious to debilitating.
Debilitating yes, but it will also be relieving to some extent as wifey will have to worry about paying off bills! Jokes apart, I would definitely want an independent bank account of my own.

tanmayb

Post by tanmayb » Thu, 12 May 2016 12:02 am

Thanks everyone. I'll try the usual sole proprietorship route without the veneering with the hopes that MOM will play along.

So if I were to 'veneer', I would find a Singaporean employer to get me a LOC and then leave it to work independently?

tanmayb

Post by tanmayb » Thu, 12 May 2016 12:05 am

BBCWatcher wrote: Have you looked into the Global Investor Programme?
GIP, as I understand from reading, is for more established investors willing to invest in Singapore. I do not wish to invest in Singapore companies but will surely be setting up a Singapore LP fund in near future. Irrespective, I don't think it applies to my case as of now.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 12 May 2016 2:02 am

tanmayb wrote:Thanks everyone. I'll try the usual sole proprietorship route without the veneering with the hopes that MOM will play along.

So if I were to 'veneer', I would find a Singaporean employer to get me a LOC and then leave it to work independently?
BBCWatcher made his comment under the assumption that when you get a LOC you are working for someone else, ie, not an independent freelancer.

However, quite a few people on DP have formed a SP, then applied for their own LOC via the SP. I must admit that it seems rather circular to me... how can you work for the SP and apply for a LOC when you have no work permit or LOC to work for the SP in the first place. However, quite a few have done exactly that.

You may also be able to form a Pte Ltd and apply for an employment pass. This is kicking your game up to another level. EP's have to earn a minimum wage in order to qualify and more than a few people in the aforementioned career threads have failed to show how they will be able to pay themselves, ie, they get a rejection letter stating that "revenues do not seem sufficient to cover EP salaries".

However, if you have consulting contracts, a good business plan, and good pro forma financials, your chances are greatly improved. You're not one of the thousands of unwashed minions who think forming a business is just the ticket to get into Singapore. It's really about your ability to convince MoM of your "gravitas" and ability to run a realistic business.

When the Entrepass requirements became so onerous that it became essentially impossible for any self employed professional to start a company in Singapore, I wrote MoM about the situation of creating a Pte Ltd, then applying for an EP. They responded that they review each on a case by case basis, so that's another route to take.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Thu, 12 May 2016 3:39 pm

Can I do a thread derailment by expressing my desire just to be a "MALE Dependent Pass Holder" who doesn't want to work anymore ....