Singapore Expats Forum

Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:11 pm

Hello - I need some advice. My ex and I decided to have a child but she wanted to go back to her country after she got pregnant. The understanding was that there is no requirement to support her or the child. However once the child is born, she has started harassing for child support, though the original understanding was never that. Now, she's even threatening to sue legally. The question is, can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or a PR? What is the legal standing of such a case in Singapore? Does Singapore entertain paternity claims from a different country for a Singaporean or PR?

User avatar
PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4989
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:26 pm

Rox Everest wrote:Hello - I need some advice. My ex and I decided to have a child but she wanted to go back to her country after she got pregnant. The understanding was that there is no requirement to support her or the child. However once the child is born, she has started harassing for child support, though the original understanding was never that. Now, she's even threatening to sue legally. The question is, can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or a PR? What is the legal standing of such a case in Singapore? Does Singapore entertain paternity claims from a different country for a Singaporean or PR?


If she obtains a court order for child support in her home county Singapore may have reciprocal recognition (which is automatically enforced). Failing that she can launch a child support case in the family court in Singapore where you could be ordered to support the child.

Personally I would negotiate a signed agreement (consent order) where you agree some form of child support.

This is nothing to do with PR or Singaporean - it's called being a responsible adult. Incidentally the right that is being enforced is not the mother's right to support but the right of the child to support (and access) from both parents.

Retard.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:30 pm

PNGMK, Thank you for your response. However, since you aren't aware of the background and the relationship dynamics between the two of us, it is not appropriate to call names. There's no need to get judgmental. Thanks anyway.

User avatar
PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4989
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:34 pm

Rox Everest wrote:PNGMK, Thank you for your response. However, since you aren't aware of the background and the relationship dynamics between the two of us, it is not appropriate to call names. There's no need to get judgmental. Thanks anyway.

Yes there is. You tried to push away the rights of a child, a minor, thinking they were your rights. You truly are a retard and a despicable human being.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:37 pm

Please mind your own business then. Your judgment has no value to me.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby x9200 » Tue, 10 May 2016 1:59 pm

Rox Everest wrote:Hello - I need some advice. My ex and I decided to have a child but she wanted to go back to her country after she got pregnant. The understanding was that there is no requirement to support her or the child. However once the child is born, she has started harassing for child support, though the original understanding was never that. Now, she's even threatening to sue legally. The question is, can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or a PR? What is the legal standing of such a case in Singapore? Does Singapore entertain paternity claims from a different country for a Singaporean or PR?

Rox Everest wrote:PNGMK, Thank you for your response. However, since you aren't aware of the background and the relationship dynamics between the two of us, it is not appropriate to call names. There's no need to get judgmental. Thanks anyway.

You decided together to have this child so regardless the meandres of your relationships you are responsible for this child's well being.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby nakatago » Tue, 10 May 2016 2:10 pm

Rox Everest wrote:Please mind your own business then. Your judgment has no value to me.


quoted.

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 2:12 pm

x9200 - Thank you for the response. However, when you say "regardless the meandres of your relationships you are responsible for this child's well being." - is it legally or morally?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby x9200 » Tue, 10 May 2016 2:57 pm

Rox Everest wrote:x9200 - Thank you for the response. However, when you say "regardless the meandres of your relationships you are responsible for this child's well being." - is it legally or morally?

Legally and morally. More-over, even if you had a written agreement with your ex stating "the understanding" you would still be legally responsible, because as mentioned by PNGMK this is for the kid, for it's well being and maintenance.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby BBCWatcher » Tue, 10 May 2016 3:00 pm

For the legal details, please see this site. It's very straightforward and simple: under Singapore law you're legally responsible for your child's maintenance until he/she reaches age 21, sometimes longer (e.g. if your child has a physical or mental disability).

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 3:05 pm

BBCWatcher - thank you. I referred to that site. However, the point I am unable to see is the jurisdiction of claim - "under Singapore law you're legally responsible for your child's maintenance until he/she reaches age 21" - is that for Singaporean or a PR? I am a PR here and the mother is Philipina, living in The Philippines.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby BBCWatcher » Tue, 10 May 2016 3:31 pm

It's for anybody subject to the jurisdiction of Singapore law. Practically everyone physically present in Singapore is, including PRs. Perhaps the only exceptions are accredited foreign diplomats.

Philippine law relating to child maintenance is substantially similar: fathers are responsible for their children, including children born out of wedlock.

I agree with PNGMK's advice to negotiate an agreement in the best interests of your child. That agreement could include, for example, direct payment of private or parochial school tuition as long as your child attends school, to have some greater assurance that your child directly and tangibly benefits from your maintenance.

Rox Everest
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue, 10 May 2016

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby Rox Everest » Tue, 10 May 2016 3:58 pm

Thank you all for the information and the advice! Cheers.

User avatar
PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4989
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 10 May 2016 4:03 pm

Rox Everest wrote:BBCWatcher - thank you. I referred to that site. However, the point I am unable to see is the jurisdiction of claim - "under Singapore law you're legally responsible for your child's maintenance until he/she reaches age 21" - is that for Singaporean or a PR? I am a PR here and the mother is Philipina, living in The Philippines.


You should settle quickly on a reasonable deal in the PI. If your ex succeeds in winning a support order in Singapore it will be much more, I'd estimate 10% of your income.

There does not appear to be a reciprocal agreement between the PI and Singapore for child support. It appears your ex's best chance would be to sue for child support in the Singapore family court. That is not particularly difficult for her to do and there may be lawyers in Singapore who would do it on a cost basis (i.e. you will pay the costs when she wins). You may want to think this through - the Singapore courts seem to have taken a very dim view recently of father's who attempt to escape or minimize their support obligations. A friend who earns $13,000 was recently levied a judgement of $2000 each per child; he is British and the mother is Indian. Nationality doesn't matter; jurisdiction does. Settle. That's the best. There is no win-win in this situation.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5244
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Can a foreigner sue a Singaporean or PR for illegitimate child born in another country?

Postby the lynx » Tue, 10 May 2016 4:19 pm

Hold on, if the child is born out of wedlock and OP is not registered as the father, can his ex still sue for child support in Singapore family court?

But yes I agree with other forum regulars, to be human is to support offspring, regardless of borders and laws. Best to figure out a compromise for this situation, regardless of specific details in OP's relationships that brought to this situation.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests