Singapore Expats

Frequent visits to Singapore through Social Visit Pass

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
tvishnun

Frequent visits to Singapore through Social Visit Pass

Post by tvishnun » Sun, 08 May 2016 1:02 am

Hi Folks,

I have frequently visited Singapore for 3 times through my Social Visit pass as my employer wanted to me to arrive there for some business meetings. Third time when I went I was informed I cannot stay for more than 7 days and I returned back to my country.

Now after 3-4 days my employer wants me to come again to Singapore for another meeting. I am afraid this time the immigration will not even allow me to go inside SG.

Can anyone please tell me what are the consequences of this. Shall I inform the employer that I cannot travel again?

Thanks.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Frequent visits to Singapore through Social Visit Pass

Post by JR8 » Sun, 08 May 2016 2:20 am

What have been the timing and durations of your stays, and what passport do you hold?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sun, 08 May 2016 6:10 am

You should apply for a business visa from the SG embassy in your country if the frequent trips are business related.

tvishnun

Post by tvishnun » Sun, 08 May 2016 10:13 am

JR8 wrote:What have been the timing and durations of your stays, and what passport do you hold?
Indian passport with Social Visit Pass. The duration of visit was 1 month travelled 3 times with a gap of 4-5 days. So basically it is for 3 months I stayed there.

tvishnun

Post by tvishnun » Sun, 08 May 2016 10:27 am

bro75 wrote:You should apply for a business visa from the SG embassy in your country if the frequent trips are business related.
Our employer has already applied for it. I got 2 years of social visit pass.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 08 May 2016 12:08 pm

tvishnun wrote:
JR8 wrote:What have been the timing and durations of your stays, and what passport do you hold?
Indian passport with Social Visit Pass. The duration of visit was 1 month travelled 3 times with a gap of 4-5 days. So basically it is for 3 months I stayed there.
This is bull. You're essentially working here. No wonder ICA stopped you. Watch out or you'll end up with a 7 year ban. Tell your employer to get his act together and get the correct pass, business visits are meant to be a day or two (there are some one off exceptions but this is abuse) - It sounds like you're coming in and doing a job to me.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sun, 08 May 2016 12:51 pm

I agree with PNGMK. I'm not sure whether the third time you were given 7 days (so, approaching 67 days in Singapore over three back-to-back visits) or the fourth time (approaching 97 days over four back-to-back visits), but either way that pattern of travel is not consistent with a Short Term Visit Pass issued for business meetings.

If you haven't already, please inform your manager that you will be unable to travel to Singapore again on your STVP since ICA has already warned you to stay away, at least clearly enough. If your employer wants you to work...er, attend "business meetings" in Singapore, then your employer will need to obtain an Employment Pass for you. Or find a legal resident of Singapore who can handle the meetings. Or set up a video conference link so you can attend the meeting(s) virtually.

It's not your problem directly, but for your information your employer risks losing its sponsorship privileges for any future STVPs, or worse. That's exactly what happened to Infosys in the United States. Infosys was fined $34 million and lost most of its B-1 (equivalent to STVP) visa sponsorship privileges. That's in addition to the individual sanctions (U.S. travel bans ranging from 3 years to life depending on the severity of the offense).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 08 May 2016 2:05 pm

OP; you won't get a lot of support from people here. Most of us are legally working here; having gone though in some cases many years of planning, applications and appealing to have the privilege of working here. I wish I could punch your HR manager in the face.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 08 May 2016 3:05 pm

If this was only about attending meetings a TC would be the obvious choice instead flying somebody in from India a few times a month. The story just not sound any credible to me.

tvishnun

Post by tvishnun » Sun, 08 May 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks for all your responses.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 08 May 2016 5:52 pm

x9200 wrote:If this was only about attending meetings a TC would be the obvious choice instead flying somebody in from India a few times a month. The story just not sound any credible to me.
In the 80's and 90's and even into the 2000's could get away with this because Videocon and Telecon facilities were expensive and monopolized by large firms. As soon as skype turned on videocon's that excuse disappeared and ICA are no fool. The next interesting customs breach will be people doing work remotely via robotics across fiscal regimes (imagine a surgeon in India operating a robotic device via telemetry in Australia and earning an income for it? - who pays taxes, who gets duties?).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 09 May 2016 5:22 pm

Uh uh, definitely not a good one. A legit business travel doesn't last that long. A week at most. You'll have to tell your employer that this has to stop unless he applies for a visa for you.

tvishnun

Post by tvishnun » Sat, 21 May 2016 11:15 pm

Hi Team,

Thanks for all your suggestions. This time the employer has given all the valid documents, invite letter, email calendar of the meeting with the application of my EP with MOM which has been extended by them.

Now they wanted me to still come as we have all valid proofs with documents necessary.

Please guide if this is a valid thing. My total stay was 50 days I calculated it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 22 May 2016 8:15 am

tvishnun wrote:Hi Team,

Thanks for all your suggestions. This time the employer has given all the valid documents, invite letter, email calendar of the meeting with the application of my EP with MOM which has been extended by them.

Now they wanted me to still come as we have all valid proofs with documents necessary.

Please guide if this is a valid thing. My total stay was 50 days I calculated it.
What is it?

tvishnun

Post by tvishnun » Sun, 22 May 2016 12:10 pm

That is the EP which my employer has applied for me. Initially it was rejected for which they have applied for an appeal. It had already been 3 weeks after the appeal. The MOM has requested some more time to investigate more on our request of visa.