Singapore Expats

S-pass application: no record found

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
MsSy

Re: S-pass application: no record found

Post by MsSy » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 3:17 pm

Hi!

I would like to ask if my previous unpaid tax in Singapore will affect my pending SPass application? I received my tax assessment letter stating "no further payment is required from you" before I left Singapore. But just now, I find out that my previous employer did not settle it from IRAS. Please help! What should I do? Thanks a lot in advance!
Last edited by MsSy on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: S-pass application: no record found

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 3:34 pm

MsSy wrote:Hi!

I would like to ask if my previous unpaid tax in Singapore will affect my pending SPass application (applied on 15th Sept 2016)? I received my tax assessment letter stating "no further payment is required from you" before I left Singapore on 30th May 2016. But just now, I find out that my previous employer did not settle it from IRAS. Please help! What should I do? Thanks a lot in advance!
Email / approach IRAS.

If it said no payment required and your employer didn't hold your salary, then it's employers fault.

On the other hand if there really was no tax due, nothing to fear !

How much was your total pay for 2016 ? Assuming you paid for 2015.

MsSy

Post by MsSy » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 3:45 pm

Appreciate your quick response, ecureilx! Thank you so much!

The amount $1950.75.

My worry now is that, will i get rejected by MoM in this case?
Last edited by MsSy on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 4:53 pm

And you were on an S Pass? What year is that for? 2015 or Jan~May 2016?

You must be making well into EP salaries if you have a tax bill that high, OR you worked less than 183 days and were hit for straight 15% tax bill. Help us out here. Not enough data.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MsSy

Post by MsSy » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 5:06 pm

Hi! That is for income 2015.

I currently have my SPass application pending. My worry is that, will this unpaid tax affects my current application? Thank you!
Last edited by MsSy on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Sep 2016 6:01 pm

You may have a problem. I'd suggest you hotfoot it down to IRAS and settle the bill before is DOES become an issue.

At the end of the day, while the employer is supposed to pay on your behalf and withhold it from your final salary, it is still YOUR obligation to ensure your taxes are paid.

If you got your final salary without any deductions for income taxes and you knew there were taxes do, you should have contacted IRAS (in fact, if the employer DID file an IR-21 and just didn't withhold or pay your taxes, you would have known about it as you would have gotten a duplicate notice from IRAS as to the tax amount due. When your received your last cheque, and with no taxes withhold by the employer, you should have gone directly to IRAS to settle your tax liability.

The only penalty for the employer is a $1000 fine per incident. So, if you ignored the tax notice and you knew they employer didn't pay it, then there is a good possibility that this will crop up in the investigation and, yes, it could impact your approval. To what extent I don't know.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

MsSy

Re: RE: Re: S-pass application: no record found

Post by MsSy » Mon, 19 Sep 2016 9:56 am

Thank you very much for the informations, SMS!