Singapore Expats

Job Abandonment is it a criminal offence?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
libero2016

Job Abandonment is it a criminal offence?

Post by libero2016 » Fri, 06 May 2016 3:04 pm

Back in 2006 I worked for a marketing company and I wasn’t happy after 5 months of stay. I filed a leave request which was approved and hurriedly went back to my home country. Then I filed my resignation remotely (via email) and did not observe the notice period. My employer emailed me with instructions to report and observe my notice period but I just ignored it. I don’t have enough money to pay for my trip to Singapore and much more to pay for rent for another 45 days. I was too young back then and didn’t realize the potential risk of my actions.
I am planning to go back to Singapore for a visit and wanted to know if I can still come without any issues in the immigration.

These are my questions:
1. I left Singapore without notice period, my Employment Pass was not cancelled not until its expiration. Can my employer sue me for job abandonment? I heard from that they can involve the police force as part of process and I will be considered a criminal in the end. Is it true?

2. Will MOM charge or file a case against me for not cancelling my EP?

3. I have reached out to IRAS to settle my tax. They told me that if my employment period is less than 183 days I have no tax dues. I have no debt with my employer as I was only paid up to the day I filed a leave. My employment period was only 134 days and less than $21,000 of total income, they asked me to provide bank statement or payslip to prove my income. I am responding to them with all those information and while we are sorting this out, am I considered an undesirable person to visit Singapore?

3. I am being considered for a senior role in a global bank (location not in Singapore). I know that banks have stringent background check. Is my job abandonment back in 2006 will appear in Background Check - Global Sanction Check even I didn’t declare my stay and employment in Singapore?

4. Now that I have no tax dues but still pending tax clearance and IR21 from employer, can I still visit Singapore with no issues? Or am I considered as tax evasion or runner?

Should I worry about having a criminal record given these circumstances?

nakatago

Re: Job Abandonment is it a criminal offence?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 May 2016 3:51 pm

libero2016 wrote:Back in 2006 I worked for a marketing company and I wasn’t happy after 5 months of stay. I filed a leave request which was approved and hurriedly went back to my home country. Then I filed my resignation remotely (via email) and did not observe the notice period. My employer emailed me with instructions to report and observe my notice period but I just ignored it. I don’t have enough money to pay for my trip to Singapore and much more to pay for rent for another 45 days. I was too young back then and didn’t realize the potential risk of my actions.
I am planning to go back to Singapore for a visit and wanted to know if I can still come without any issues in the immigration.

These are my questions:
1. I left Singapore without notice period, my Employment Pass was not cancelled not until its expiration. Can my employer sue me for job abandonment? I heard from that they can involve the police force as part of process and I will be considered a criminal in the end. Is it true?

2. Will MOM charge or file a case against me for not cancelling my EP?

3. I have reached out to IRAS to settle my tax. They told me that if my employment period is less than 183 days I have no tax dues. I have no debt with my employer as I was only paid up to the day I filed a leave. My employment period was only 134 days and less than $21,000 of total income, they asked me to provide bank statement or payslip to prove my income. I am responding to them with all those information and while we are sorting this out, am I considered an undesirable person to visit Singapore?

3. I am being considered for a senior role in a global bank (location not in Singapore). I know that banks have stringent background check. Is my job abandonment back in 2006 will appear in Background Check - Global Sanction Check even I didn’t declare my stay and employment in Singapore?

4. Now that I have no tax dues but still pending tax clearance and IR21 from employer, can I still visit Singapore with no issues? Or am I considered as tax evasion or runner?

Should I worry about having a criminal record given these circumstances?
quoted for posterity
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 May 2016 4:57 pm

^^^^ :devil: =D>
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

libero2016

Post by libero2016 » Fri, 06 May 2016 5:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^^ :devil: =D>
hello sundaymorningstaple... what was that all about? does it mean im in trouble?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 May 2016 5:43 pm

That was for Nakatago.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 06 May 2016 5:58 pm

A timely post, as some here can attest.

I am very interested to see answers to most of the OP's questions.

To add - do background checks from overseas for time and work in Singapore include checking with a country's IRAS equivalent?

Er, good move on the quote bit.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

libero2016

Post by libero2016 » Fri, 06 May 2016 7:38 pm

I have read this somewhere and i think it is legit? what's your view?

In Singapore, although a company can typically ask the candidate to apply for a certificate of clearance
from the Singapore Police Force, the Singapore Police Force requires an individual to produce
documentary proof from a relevant consulate, government authority or educational institution stating
that the production of the certificate of clearance is required for a specific purpose. It is unlikely that the
Singapore Police Force will grant such a certificate for the purposes of satisfying an employer's
background checks.

http://www.bakermckenzie.com/files/Uplo ... _sep15.pdf

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 May 2016 10:05 pm

It's extremely unlikely. You didn't commit fraud or any other criminal offence I can think of.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!