Singapore Expats

Working in SG Banking with no diploma

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kimura

Working in SG Banking with no diploma

Post by kimura » Wed, 04 May 2016 2:37 pm

So I am in the midst of possibly planning a move to Singapore from Australia. (Very very early stages). Just having a quick look for jobs in my current profession (banking), it seems every banking job requires a "diploma in the required field".

The problem is I never completed a diploma to get to my position. I started my banking career 5 years ago as a Teller, spent the next 2 years moving up to writing Personal Loans, Credit Cards to then writing Housing Loans for a portfolio of customers. Now I am in a project delivery role in the head office. I've performed strongly in all of my positions (When I was in the bank branch I was one of the top salespeople nationally) and am constantly delivering initiatives and managing relationships with senior executives.

So with that being the case would I be OK to land a customer service role in a branch at a minimum? Or does no diploma an immediate deal breaker?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Working in SG Banking with no diploma

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 May 2016 2:51 pm

kimura wrote:So I am in the midst of possibly planning a move to Singapore from Australia. (Very very early stages). Just having a quick look for jobs in my current profession (banking), it seems every banking job requires a "diploma in the required field".

The problem is I never completed a diploma to get to my position. I started my banking career 5 years ago as a Teller, spent the next 2 years moving up to writing Personal Loans, Credit Cards to then writing Housing Loans for a portfolio of customers. Now I am in a project delivery role in the head office. I've performed strongly in all of my positions (When I was in the bank branch I was one of the top salespeople nationally) and am constantly delivering initiatives and managing relationships with senior executives.

So with that being the case would I be OK to land a customer service role in a branch at a minimum? Or does no diploma an immediate deal breaker?
What would you immigration status in Singapore be, when you say you plan to move ?

kimura

Re: Working in SG Banking with no diploma

Post by kimura » Wed, 04 May 2016 2:59 pm

So when I say early stages, I'm just beginning to research the realistic possibility of this working. Starting with employment, haven't got to the immigration/work permits part yet.

But if I was to say I want to stay for 6 - 12 months potentially, with an S Pass visa, is that feasible?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 May 2016 3:11 pm

It's a field that (IMO) is over subscribed.... it will be very hard to compete with a local or subcon without some standout factor. Can you transfer using your current bank job? ANZ/NAB etc are all up here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

kimura

Post by kimura » Wed, 04 May 2016 3:18 pm

PNGMK wrote:It's a field that (IMO) is over subscribed.... it will be very hard to compete with a local or subcon without some standout factor. Can you transfer using your current bank job? ANZ/NAB etc are all up here.
I work for a regional bank (Bankwest) that is owned by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (which has one branch in SG but no vacancies as far as I know).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 04 May 2016 3:42 pm

I would say a transfer is your only option, your skillset and experience won't get you much of a look in to the local banks. And local pay rates for that role will be low, much lower than Australia.

Sg is a very tight market for foreigners, and companies, even large banks, have quota limits on the number of foreigners employed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Working in SG Banking with no diploma

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 04 May 2016 4:14 pm

kimura wrote:So when I say early stages, I'm just beginning to research the realistic possibility of this working. Starting with employment, haven't got to the immigration/work permits part yet.

But if I was to say I want to stay for 6 - 12 months potentially, with an S Pass visa, is that feasible?
As others said, unless you are coming cheap, speak Chinese, your chances are pretty much LOW.

Add to it, you will have to compete with Filipino tellers with masters degree and who can speak passable mandarin.

Transfer it has to be, and something more than S pass pay scale.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 04 May 2016 8:07 pm

kimura wrote:
PNGMK wrote:It's a field that (IMO) is over subscribed.... it will be very hard to compete with a local or subcon without some standout factor. Can you transfer using your current bank job? ANZ/NAB etc are all up here.
I work for a regional bank (Bankwest) that is owned by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (which has one branch in SG but no vacancies as far as I know).
I might add that most of my expat banker contacts in ANZ (and hence presumably other fields) have been transferred home and replaced with Aussie accented Flips... Another avenue _might_ be private/wealth banking. They seem to chase a certain style of person (presentation, panache, acumen) that perhaps you have?

kimura

Post by kimura » Wed, 04 May 2016 9:38 pm

Seems like this isn't as simple or achievable as I first thought, which is disappointing :(

So hypothetically, for an expat with no diploma what are realistic options for employment (if any) ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2016 9:49 pm

Unless you are earning a decent amount above the old P1 EP level (over 10K/mo. and have a decade or more of experience in the level / position you are taking up, you are likely to have a hard time unless your position is rare and very much in demand by the government.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 05 May 2016 6:57 am

kimura wrote:Seems like this isn't as simple or achievable as I first thought, which is disappointing :(

So hypothetically, for an expat with no diploma what are realistic options for employment (if any) ?
Guanxi (connections) maybe the only way....

Lcct333

Post by Lcct333 » Thu, 05 May 2016 11:24 am

There are plenty of people in the bank I work for without tertiary qualifications, but they are invariably 40+ and have worked in the industry for 20 or so years. I think that in your situation, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to land a job in Singapore.