Singapore Expats Forum

Student pass for LTVP holders

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

K_khan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 13 Oct 2015

Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby K_khan » Tue, 03 May 2016 11:13 pm

hi,

i am an LTVP holder and got admitted to kaplan mba program. however, ICA demands that I will need a student pass to pursue studies in singapore.
my question is what will become of my LTVP after i apply for a student pass? will it get cancelled? I wish to apply for jobs while I do my mba . getting a job seems impossible if I am on a student pass. :cry: :cry: :cry:

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 04 May 2016 1:02 am

K_khan wrote:hi,

i am an LTVP holder and got admitted to kaplan mba program. however, ICA demands that I will need a student pass to pursue studies in singapore.
my question is what will become of my LTVP after i apply for a student pass? will it get cancelled? I wish to apply for jobs while I do my mba . getting a job seems impossible if I am on a student pass. :cry: :cry: :cry:


One Pass at a time in Singapore.

If you are worth an employment pass then an employer can apply I expect , however upon gaining employment you will lose your student pass.

Also , there is no guarantee you will get a student pass.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby bro75 » Wed, 04 May 2016 6:34 am

LTVP holders can get a student pass LOC but you have to ask ICA if you are eligible for this.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35183
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2016 10:35 am

bro75, please post either the ICA or MOM link for your claim re: LOC from ICA for studies. The only LoC I can find is the one issued by the MOM and that is for employment. In fact it's the first time I've heard such a claim in my 20+ years of HR. (Not saying you are wrong, but I want to see the link from the relevant government agency).

- Moderator

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby bro75 » Wed, 04 May 2016 11:20 am

I cannot find the LOC for LTVP link only LOC for DP for studying in higher institutions. My daughter is now on LTVP with a student pass LOC for studying in preschool. The OP may need to ask ICA if LOC for him is even possible.

The link to LOC for DP is below.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=325

SMS, as an HR, you would not necessarily hear about this. This more on LTVP holders who are dependents of SCs/PRs.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 04 May 2016 11:48 am

bro75 wrote:I cannot find the LOC for LTVP link only LOC for DP for studying in higher institutions. My daughter is now on LTVP with a student pass LOC for studying in preschool. The OP may need to ask ICA if LOC for him is even possible.

The link to LOC for DP is below.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=325

SMS, as an HR, you would not necessarily hear about this. This more on LTVP holders who are dependents of SCs/PRs.



The Link that you have provided is for Student's Pass and not for LOC

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 326
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby bro75 » Wed, 04 May 2016 11:51 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
bro75 wrote:I cannot find the LOC for LTVP link only LOC for DP for studying in higher institutions. My daughter is now on LTVP with a student pass LOC for studying in preschool. The OP may need to ask ICA if LOC for him is even possible.

The link to LOC for DP is below.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=325

SMS, as an HR, you would not necessarily hear about this. This more on LTVP holders who are dependents of SCs/PRs.



The Link that you have provided is for Student's Pass and not for LOC


From somewhere near the bottom of the link

Dependant’s Pass holder who wishes to study in an IHL is also required to apply for a Student’s Pass (application must be made through SOLAR). However, if the duration of the course is shorter than the duration of the Dependant's Pass, the student may opt to be issued with a Letter of Consent (LOC) to study in the institute.

I know this is for DP and not for LTVP, so may not apply to OP.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35183
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Student pass for LTVP holders

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2016 1:34 pm

bro75 wrote:I cannot find the LOC for LTVP link only LOC for DP for studying in higher institutions. My daughter is now on LTVP with a student pass LOC for studying in preschool. The OP may need to ask ICA if LOC for him is even possible.

The link to LOC for DP is below.
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=325

SMS, as an HR, you would not necessarily hear about this. This more on LTVP holders who are dependents of SCs/PRs.


bro75,

Thanks for that. You are right, I wouldn't have normally known about that and you are correct up to and including the link recommending those who want to work as well, to consider the relevant exemption from the MOM. However, in the OP's case, OP is going to have a problem as all that (is specific to the IHL as defined by the ICA, of which Kaplan does not qualify nor is it listed. So OP will have to go with the Student Pass. OP will have to surrender the LTVP and will not be able to work unless MOM gives an exemption as it's not one of the gazetted IHL's. - moderator


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest