Singapore Expats

Domestic Helper - Insurance Whilst Overseas

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Domestic Helper - Insurance Whilst Overseas

Post by martincymru » Tue, 03 May 2016 10:16 am

Warning !

I spoke with a broker earlier and they informed me that if your helper takes a trip to say JB on a Sunday with her friend then she is not covered under the standard compulsory Maid Insurance.

This gap could create serious problems for the Employer in the event she has an accident.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Domestic Helper - Insurance Whilst Overseas

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 03 May 2016 1:33 pm

martincymru wrote:Warning !

I spoke with a broker earlier and they informed me that if your helper takes a trip to say JB on a Sunday with her friend then she is not covered under the standard compulsory Maid Insurance.

This gap could create serious problems for the Employer in the event she has an accident.
The broker is correct.

If you are confident her travel will be limited to Malaysia, a cheap annual cover would be sufficient.

And interestingly, Direct Asia helps to cover home leave too, as their requirement simply says "journey should begin and end in Singapore".

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Domestic Helper - Insurance Whilst Overseas

Post by martincymru » Wed, 04 May 2016 8:50 am

Received from Ins Co today
"Based on her policy schedule, she is cover under medical expenses worldwide for up to 70% of total eligible incurred expenses up to the amount of S$10,500.

We will still recommend to purchase a travel insurance for her as the coverage of a travel insurance will be much more comprehensive as compare to her Domestic maid policy.

Hope above clarifies. "