Singapore Expats Forum

Inappropriate behaviour by DBS employee?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ptherbst

Inappropriate behaviour by DBS employee?

Postby ptherbst » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 11:27 am

A few months ago I opened up a Vickers account at MBFS and started to use the DBS trading options . Yesterday I went back to ask a few questions about the account and the customer service lady asked me if I wanted to speak with my dealer directly. I thought that that was a nice touch and had a a quick 10 minute meeting with him to speak about investing into US and EU markets etc, and I also spoke briefly about my job.

At the end when I was about to leave he asked for my private number so "we can meet up" and when I declined and said I have his card he insisted on the private number and I declined again.

I thought this was strange already and when I got back to the office the dealer actually had whatsapped me on my work phone to invite me to go out . When asked where he got the number from he said he got it from the system.

I called Vickers to ask whether it is appropriate for dealers to use confidential information for private matters and they apologised but also said "he didn't mean it that way". I personally am appalled that neither the dealer nor DBS seem to care about this as a privacy violation nor seem to see this as unwanted approaching. I spoke to a few Singaporean female colleagues and they are also appalled at this behaviour. I already complained to DBS and asked for a different dealer in charge of my account but feel that this seems to be brushed off too lightly? Can employees just get your numbers and approach you privately like this?

Any bankers who have an idea?

PNGMK
Director
Director

Re: Inappropriate behaviour by DBS employee?

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:01 pm

It's BS. The relatively new data protection act (or whatever it is called now) should have protected you from harassment I believe. If you're really pissed I'd write a letter to the 'Ethics Committee" of the board... do some googling. Most boards have one. Outline the facts; not the suspicions.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Postby brian_singapore » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 3:10 pm

I would also check if their is an ombudsman or similar you can take complaints to when the regular customer service route doesn't work.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 3:41 pm

ptherbst wrote:A few months ago I opened up a Vickers account at MBFS and started to use the DBS trading options . Yesterday I went back to ask a few questions about the account and the customer service lady asked me if I wanted to speak with my dealer directly. I thought that that was a nice touch and had a a quick 10 minute meeting with him to speak about investing into US and EU markets etc, and I also spoke briefly about my job.

At the end when I was about to leave he asked for my private number so "we can meet up" and when I declined and said I have his card he insisted on the private number and I declined again.

I thought this was strange already and when I got back to the office the dealer actually had whatsapped me on my work phone to invite me to go out . When asked where he got the number from he said he got it from the system.

I called Vickers to ask whether it is appropriate for dealers to use confidential information for private matters and they apologised but also said "he didn't mean it that way". I personally am appalled that neither the dealer nor DBS seem to care about this as a privacy violation nor seem to see this as unwanted approaching. I spoke to a few Singaporean female colleagues and they are also appalled at this behaviour. I already complained to DBS and asked for a different dealer in charge of my account but feel that this seems to be brushed off too lightly? Can employees just get your numbers and approach you privately like this?

Any bankers who have an idea?

What actually you would like to achieve? Going via formal route regardless effective or not will probably end up with what you already achieved - the bank will apology and say it's was an exception and promise to comply in future. The fact they didn't react to your ethical expectations will be pretty much irrelevant.

If you are looking for some higher impact action perhaps try to contact some media?

tammytan85

Postby tammytan85 » Thu, 26 May 2016 12:38 pm

This is horrible... abusing of personal information. I had a friend recount to me that he, a male, faced a similar situation when getting his visa/passport matters done at ICA!

The person got his number from the records, whatsapped him and actually lied to him that there were issues with his application in order to get him down to see him in person.

Luckily for me, I never experienced such issues 30 years living here!

tammytan85

Postby tammytan85 » Thu, 26 May 2016 12:38 pm

Oh and P.S. the immigration officer was a male.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Inappropriate behaviour by DBS employee?

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 26 May 2016 1:37 pm

tammytan85 wrote:This is horrible... abusing of personal information. I had a friend recount to me that he, a male, faced a similar situation when getting his visa/passport matters done at ICA!

The person got his number from the records, whatsapped him and actually lied to him that there were issues with his application in order to get him down to see him in person.

Luckily for me, I never experienced such issues 30 years living here!

That's not ICA, that was a common scam. Even ICA warned the public about it .... And the whatsapp attempt is so obvious ..... so did your friend report the issue to police ?