Singapore Expats

Tenant rights?

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
bigblue

Tenant rights?

Post by bigblue » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 8:00 pm

Lost my Job , losing my EP pass, need to leave the country. Landlord say's i need to keep paying my rental till i can find someone else. Is this Legal?

if so does anyone have any suggestions to where i can post the apt. ?

Search By

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Tenant rights?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 8:33 pm

bigblue wrote:Lost my Job , losing my EP pass, need to leave the country. Landlord say's i need to keep paying my rental till i can find someone else. Is this Legal?

if so does anyone have any suggestions to where i can post the apt. ?
Read the contract terms for early termination..

What does that say ?

bigblue

Re: Tenant rights?

Post by bigblue » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 9:17 pm

It say's I need to find a new tenant.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 9:30 pm

bigblue wrote:It say's I need to find a new tenant.
Three words: "You are scxxxd"

But read up on the diplomatic clause. I am not sure, but one of the experts here will have to explain how that would pan.

I been in your boat, with a landlord demanding I pay, though I was jobless. And since the market was crashing he wanted me to pay the existing rent amount, even when I said I will advertise and find a replacement.

That didn't go well, is all I will say.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 10:27 pm

Per ^ do you have a diplomatic clause in your TA?
What is the term of your TA and how far are you into it?
(Did you relo to SG yourself, or get transferred over by your employer?)
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 6:54 am

OP; if there is no diplomatic clause then just leave the country - ASAP without paying more rent. Technically you're running from a debt (which is not a criminal act) but most LL don't follow the debt up. You'll lose the deposit but that's what the deposit is for. IF you don't have an EP it's no longer reasonable (or even legal) for you to be party to a rental agreement that requires you to be a resident here and if your LL won't work with you then too bad for him.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Tenant rights?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 7:24 am

PNGMK wrote:OP; if there is no diplomatic clause then just leave the country - ASAP without paying more rent. Technically you're running from a debt (which is not a criminal act) but most LL don't follow the debt up. You'll lose the deposit but that's what the deposit is for. IF you don't have an EP it's no longer reasonable (or even legal) for you to be party to a rental agreement that requires you to be a resident here and if your LL won't work with you then too bad for him.
You spoke my mind !!!! +1

bigblue

Post by bigblue » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:09 am

My diplomatic clause says after 12 months with two months notice. But this is an extreme case as I lost my job and will not be allowed to work in the country and tech are required to leave.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:18 am

OP, why don't you try to find a replacement tenant? You signed a contract where you agreed to do this. Such requirement is perfectly legal (as much as I could tell) so be a responsible adult and at least try to fulfil your legal obligation.

What the other poster said, I don't think it is illegal to be in a contract if you lost the residential status. What is illegal is to continue living in the place. True, leaving the country and not paying won't be a criminal offence, but assuming the LL doesn't like you too much, and will like you even less after you left the proposed way, then you would need some extra precautions to be completely safe.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 8:49 am

bigblue wrote:My diplomatic clause says after 12 months with two months notice. But this is an extreme case as I lost my job and will not be allowed to work in the country and tech are required to leave.
It's not an "extreme case" in terms of your rental agreement. The diplomatic clause anticipated this case.

If the diplomatic clause applies then give your landlord written notice now (if you haven't already), invoking the diplomatic clause. (Something like, "Per Section XX of our rental agreement dated YYY, I am providing you with two months notice....") That starts the two month clock provided in your rental agreement. You will probably need to leave Singapore before that two month clock ends, but that's how it goes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 9:18 am

How long (months) have you been in your current lease? If say 10 months, if you invoke the Dip Clause, you will need to pony up 4 months rent and hope that he returns your deposit (or see if he will offset the last month's rent with the deposit (which would still mean ponying up 3 months rent. Assuming that you have to leave in the next week or two. For every month closer to the end of the 1st year contract, it's less you will have to fork out to get out. e.g., if you stay 12 months, then you only need to pay two months rental (assuming that you have given timely notice.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bigblue

Post by bigblue » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:34 am

does anyone have any suggestions to where i can post ie websites, etc the apt to find a new tenant?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 2:57 pm

PNGMK wrote:OP; if there is no diplomatic clause then just leave the country - ASAP without paying more rent. Technically you're running from a debt (which is not a criminal act) but most LL don't follow the debt up. You'll lose the deposit but that's what the deposit is for. IF you don't have an EP it's no longer reasonable (or even legal) for you to be party to a rental agreement that requires you to be a resident here and if your LL won't work with you then too bad for him.
The deposit is vs damages beyond fair wear and tear. It's has no relation to you walking out on your contractual obligations. Walking out on a functional TA is no more moral than doing a runner on an unpaid bill from a restaurant.

'Losing your EP cancels your obligations under a TA' - yeah, I look forward to seeing that test case get heard :-D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 3:04 pm

bigblue wrote:My diplomatic clause says after 12 months with two months notice. But this is an extreme case as I lost my job and will not be allowed to work in the country and tech are required to leave.
More info needed. Besides this situation is precisely what a diplomatic clause is for!

'What is the term of your TA and how far are you into it?
(Did you relo to SG yourself, or get transferred over by your employer?)'

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 3:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How long (months) have you been in your current lease? If say 10 months, if you invoke the Dip Clause, you will need to pony up 4 months rent...

.... having difficulty computing the maths behind this ...
I'd have thought the Notice clause carried on 'as per usual'
The Dip clause just gave you Grounds to serve Notice