Singapore Expats

ROM application query

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Panda24

ROM application query

Post by Panda24 » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 6:12 pm

Hello,
I have been doing some research into an application for ROM and wondered if anyone could help me clarify the guidelines please.

A bit of background - 26 y/o male UK citizen, was planning on moving to Singapore summer '17 to live with my gf _ 25y/o SC and apply for ROM. However circumstances have changed in that I lost my job 2 months ago so am now considering moving to Singapore sooner and looking for a job there rather than looking for a short term job here. So my questions are:

Is ROM approval tied to employment status? I've read that it's not but have seen on the form you have to put tax contributions so would 2 months of no work be considered a reason for rejection?

I'm worried it will be more likely be considered a marriage of convenience due to the circumstances now, would I be better getting another job in the UK first before considering put in an application in Singapore?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: ROM application query

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 7:57 pm

Panda24 wrote: I'm worried it will be more likely be considered a marriage of convenience due to the circumstances now, would I be better getting another job in the UK first before considering put in an application in Singapore?.
Short answer, no it won't be seen as a marriage of convenience.

Long answer , wait for it.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: ROM application query

Post by the lynx » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:54 am

ROM will not ask for your salary or employment details. And your wife-to-be is SC so you don't have to fulfill that 15-day rule for ROM. Congratulations, by the way.

But if it concerns your residency status in Singapore, that's ICA's problem, not ROM so it will be a separate topic.

Panda24

Post by Panda24 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 9:29 pm

Thank you for your help.

Residency is decided through pre-marriage assessment for LTVP, is this correct? Is that where I'm likely to experience problems with submitting employment details? Will my application be more likely to be rejected if I was to apply now?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 9:44 pm

Panda24 wrote:Thank you for your help.

Residency is decided through pre-marriage assessment for LTVP, is this correct? Is that where I'm likely to experience problems with submitting employment details? Will my application be more likely to be rejected if I was to apply now?
Ok, don't shoot me for saying this, but the pre-marriage assessment is that- an assessment. It's not like Singapore government will the citizen to find another partner if the assessment fails.

Now on a serious note, if the assessment doesn't come out favorably, what will you do ? Dump the girl ?

Panda24

Post by Panda24 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 10:35 pm

No, I just wanted advice as to whether it would be more beneficial to the application to get another job here in the UK or if having a two month employment break would raise problems. If the government decided I haven't paid enough tax for example and rejected my application, would this rejection impact on any future applications? In which case I'd be best of working here for another year first?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:29 pm

Panda24 wrote:No, I just wanted advice as to whether it would be more beneficial to the application to get another job here in the UK or if having a two month employment break would raise problems. If the government decided I haven't paid enough tax for example and rejected my application, would this rejection impact on any future applications? In which case I'd be best of working here for another year first?
For argument sake, if ICA asks why you need any residency here when you are working in UK ? :)

And for tax etc. since the last few years, The Government has been taking note of the citizens welfare, unlike before when meritocracy was all that mattered. Since your spouse is a Citizen, you will get a one-up.

And I never heard of ICA asking you why you had a 2 months break in employment. You are not going for a job interview with ICA right ? :-k

Wise men will say wait and apply later, the question is how long is the wait supposed to be. Nobody knows for sure. But as long as you are marrying a Citizen, you got most of the boxes ticked.

Good luck.

If you are referring the first post of yours, what made you think ROM wants to know your employment status etc ?
Panda24 wrote:Is ROM approval tied to employment status? I've read that it's not but have seen on the form you have to put tax contributions so would 2 months of no work be considered a reason for rejection?
PS, when an Asian marries a British Citizen - with the intention of the former moving to UK, those things do matter, but when a British guy marries a Singaporean with the plan of moving to Singapore, nope, it won't be even asked. I don't even remember ROM asking what the guy and girls' jobs are.

Panda24

Post by Panda24 » Wed, 27 Apr 2016 12:38 am

Thank you. I thought it might be an issue since you have to give employment/income details for the pre-marriage assessment and that might have reflected on ROM approval, but I must have got mixed up with what was required. Thank you for taking the time to explain.