Singapore Expats

Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
dawalk

Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Post by dawalk » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 12:36 pm

I am a S Pass holder in Singapore and work for the same company since September, 2013. After a while starting the job, I got a DP for my wife and she stayed with me till July, 2015. Later my pass was expired in August, 2015 and the company applied for a new pass which is valid until 2018 but I didn't request to renew my wife's DP at that time.

Later I figured out MOM has reviewed their policy of approving DPs where all Work Permit holders should fulfil a minimum monthly income of 5000. Frankly by now I earn less than that. However, I also read on the MOM site and there they say all the renewal application would be treated under the previous policy meaning, as I understood, renewal of DP applications would approve even the monthly income is less than 5000.

Do anyone have an idea on what happen if I apply a DP for my newly born child? Even though my wife has had a DP, my child hasn't had any before. My understanding is even though there is a chance of getting renewed my wife's DP, my child's would be rejected as it is treated as a new application.

Could anyone tell me whether my understanding is correct and will there be any issue if I apply both together and reject my child's one? If rejected, how long would I need to stay to reapply let say, in case of I get a new job offer fulfilling the new income requirement of 5000?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 1:24 pm

dawalk wrote:I am a S Pass holder in Singapore and work for the same company since September, 2013. After a while starting the job, I got a DP for my wife and she stayed with me till July, 2015. Later my pass was expired in August, 2015 and the company applied for a new pass which is valid until 2018 but I didn't request to renew my wife's DP at that time.

Later I figured out MOM has reviewed their policy of approving DPs where all Work Permit holders should fulfil a minimum monthly income of 5000. Frankly by now I earn less than that. However, I also read on the MOM site and there they say all the renewal application would be treated under the previous policy meaning, as I understood, renewal of DP applications would approve even the monthly income is less than 5000.

Do anyone have an idea on what happen if I apply a DP for my newly born child? Even though my wife has had a DP, my child hasn't had any before. My understanding is even though there is a chance of getting renewed my wife's DP, my child's would be rejected as it is treated as a new application.

Could anyone tell me whether my understanding is correct and will there be any issue if I apply both together and reject my child's one? If rejected, how long would I need to stay to reapply let say, in case of I get a new job offer fulfilling the new income requirement of 5000?
My 2 cents.

If you had renewed your wife's DP continuously, the salary restriction would have been over looked.

Since, if I understand correctly - you let it lapse in the middle, the new pass will be under the new rule, no going back to old policies.

And with the lapse, the new application won't be accepted, simply because you don't qualify. I am 99.9% of that.

Good luck, if MOM has a change of heart in your case.

As for pay revision etc in the same company, MOM is a bit skeptical of sudden pay raise and may ask for 6 months pay slip and / or bank statement / proof.

If you join a new company with 5k++ salary, you can put in the DP at the same time as your pass application.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 1:36 pm

Also, if you haven't already reviewed the MoM's answers to frequently asked questions about the policy change then here they are.

Yes, it looks like bad news in your case. :(

dawalk

Re: Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Post by dawalk » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 2:10 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Also, if you haven't already reviewed the MoM's answers to frequently asked questions about the policy change then here they are.

Yes, it looks like bad news in your case. :(
Yeah it seams so :( , but I confused with the statement "Renewal of DPs/ LTVPs will also be based on pre-1 September 2015 criteria
provided the main pass holder remains with the same employer. "

However now I do understand that there is 99.9% chance of rejecting my child's DP :( . Thanks much for your responses.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Eligibility for Dependant's Pass effective from 1 September 2015

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2016 3:56 pm

dawalk wrote: However now I do understand that there is 99.9% chance of rejecting my child's DP :( . Thanks much for your responses.
For your child, 100% rejection and for your wife who's pass was not renewed, 99.9% rejection.

That's my 2 cents opinion.