PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Post Reply
User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:24 pm

TropicalExpat wrote:
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 3:30 pm
So if I read this thread right, if one were to leave Singapore and not get the REP renewed, they could still contribute to CPF?
Yes, as a personal contribution I don't see why not.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
malcontent
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 1
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by malcontent » Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:12 pm

Most people don’t like the idea of having their money locked up in CPF until they are closer to retirement... then they start to realize just how valuable it is to have a AAA rated government pension-like vehicle that pays above-market rates of return and is completely protected from creditors.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:53 am

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 14 Dec 2020 10:12 pm
Most people don’t like the idea of having their money locked up in CPF until they are closer to retirement... then they start to realize just how valuable it is to have a AAA rated government pension-like vehicle that pays above-market rates of return and is completely protected from creditors.
To be fair you need a certain mindset to think of "protection from creditors" as being a criteria for investment vehicles....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39244
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 7
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Dec 2020 12:41 pm

Just ask anybody who has ever been bankrupted....... :oops!: :shit: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
malcontent
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 1
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by malcontent » Tue, 15 Dec 2020 1:28 pm

Anyone can be hit with a lawsuit, even a frivolous one. About 10 years ago we had a taxi company sue us. The taxi driver falsely accused us of a hit and run (he wrongly gave our plate number, but it wasn’t even our car).

Over the years we have had a legal dispute with our upstairs neighbor over inter-floor leakage, a legal dispute with our renovation contractor for using shoddy materials, plus several other potential cases that haven’t materialized yet. Maybe we are just lucky?
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

expatsocean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 1:59 am

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by expatsocean » Mon, 19 Apr 2021 2:03 am

EXPAT_SG5377 wrote:
Thu, 25 Apr 2019 3:47 pm
Just to share....

Its been 17 days now, counted as working days. My cpf havent credited to local bank. I call cpf still in process. Though received letter other govt agency they have received my renounced my PR status. Like IRAS...

I didnt count per weeks, but hopefully it will arrive soon. 5 to 7 weeks as they says according to CPF processing time. Its been goin 4 weeks this week. Cheers.
hi there. May I ask if you received your funds?

Also what do you mean by you received letter from other govt agency? Do I need to stay in Singapore to receive those letters or can they send to an overseas address instead?

Appreciate if anyone has answers for this.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 19 Apr 2021 7:54 pm

expatsocean wrote:
Mon, 19 Apr 2021 2:03 am
EXPAT_SG5377 wrote:
Thu, 25 Apr 2019 3:47 pm
Just to share....

Its been 17 days now, counted as working days. My cpf havent credited to local bank. I call cpf still in process. Though received letter other govt agency they have received my renounced my PR status. Like IRAS...

I didnt count per weeks, but hopefully it will arrive soon. 5 to 7 weeks as they says according to CPF processing time. Its been goin 4 weeks this week. Cheers.
hi there. May I ask if you received your funds?

Also what do you mean by you received letter from other govt agency? Do I need to stay in Singapore to receive those letters or can they send to an overseas address instead?

Appreciate if anyone has answers for this.
1. Post is over 2 years old mate!
2. Yes CPF will post oversea but you can use Singpass also to communicate. You need to update ICA with your current address.
3. Don't withdraw your CPF. You'll just waste it or lose it (statistically most people do). Keep it safe in Singapore and consider it part of your long term investment strategy. Move all the OA into the SA account for extra interest.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Baobaotou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:11 am

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by Baobaotou » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 5:47 am

Found it is more appropriate to post my question here. I recently started the process for my SG citizenship renunciation by post as I am living overseas. Was informed the procedure will take at least 12 weeks. After that I plan to do CPF withdrawal but I have a few dumb questions I have asked around to govt agencies so far not being answered. Hence I am posting here...

1) CPF withdrawal process by mail said I need a certify copy of NRIC and SG passport which I have returned to ICA as part of my renunciation pack... called oversea mission and the lady said just to explain to CPF or to provide a certified copy of the ICA approval letter upon my renunciation. I do keep scan copy of my NRIC and SG passport just I won't be able to show the original ones and obtain a certified copy... 2) CPF confirmed to me that once renunciation approved, I will lose my SINGPASS hence can no longer view my account online, but I can still email them requesting for hard copies to be sent to oversea address.. and also contacted OCBC bank was told have to update my foreign PP. however the CPF withdrawal form said if I have local bank maintained under NRIC I don't need to authenticate bank account....

So my question is how should I handle it from overseas? Appreciate if anyone could share experience who had done the procedure remotely from overseas? I just found the CPF withdrawal form/ procedure is pretty disconnected to the real world post renunciation... seems it does not take into account that we would not have any NRIC nor SG PP nor SINGPASS post it...

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 7:29 am

Yeah this is why traditionally people do it in person.

I'm willing to bet a steak dinner that in 5 years you'll have lost most of your CPF anyways.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
malcontent
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:52 am
Answers: 1
Location: Pulau Ujong

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by malcontent » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 9:48 am

It is amazing how any major windfall can seemly evaporate quickly.

You really have to a great deal of discipline and resolve to preserve and grow it.

And therein lies the question, why would anyone withdraw their CPF, especially in this current low rate environment. You are not going to find a higher risk adjusted return.
It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters ~ Epictetus

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3819
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 9:49 am
Answers: 1

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:39 am

Baobaotou wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 5:47 am
Found it is more appropriate to post my question here. I recently started the process for my SG citizenship renunciation by post as I am living overseas. Was informed the procedure will take at least 12 weeks. After that I plan to do CPF withdrawal but I have a few dumb questions I have asked around to govt agencies so far not being answered. Hence I am posting here...

1) CPF withdrawal process by mail said I need a certify copy of NRIC and SG passport which I have returned to ICA as part of my renunciation pack... called oversea mission and the lady said just to explain to CPF or to provide a certified copy of the ICA approval letter upon my renunciation. I do keep scan copy of my NRIC and SG passport just I won't be able to show the original ones and obtain a certified copy... 2) CPF confirmed to me that once renunciation approved, I will lose my SINGPASS hence can no longer view my account online, but I can still email them requesting for hard copies to be sent to oversea address.. and also contacted OCBC bank was told have to update my foreign PP. however the CPF withdrawal form said if I have local bank maintained under NRIC I don't need to authenticate bank account....

So my question is how should I handle it from overseas? Appreciate if anyone could share experience who had done the procedure remotely from overseas? I just found the CPF withdrawal form/ procedure is pretty disconnected to the real world post renunciation... seems it does not take into account that we would not have any NRIC nor SG PP nor SINGPASS post it...
As of what I know, CPF just needs a verified and authenticated proof that the bank account the bank account that they are settling in SG that you claim it to be is yours. So, later update your passport details with OCBC and ask CPF if you show the account statement (certified original) with your name is that good enough.

I remember seeing a option where you can ask for a cheque to be sent to you and you take care of the deposit and encashing part as an alternative. You may check this with CPF board also

They are usually very helpful.

Baobaotou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 12:11 am

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by Baobaotou » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:54 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 10:39 am
Baobaotou wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 5:47 am
Found it is more appropriate to post my question here. I recently started the process for my SG citizenship renunciation by post as I am living overseas. Was informed the procedure will take at least 12 weeks. After that I plan to do CPF withdrawal but I have a few dumb questions I have asked around to govt agencies so far not being answered. Hence I am posting here...

1) CPF withdrawal process by mail said I need a certify copy of NRIC and SG passport which I have returned to ICA as part of my renunciation pack... called oversea mission and the lady said just to explain to CPF or to provide a certified copy of the ICA approval letter upon my renunciation. I do keep scan copy of my NRIC and SG passport just I won't be able to show the original ones and obtain a certified copy... 2) CPF confirmed to me that once renunciation approved, I will lose my SINGPASS hence can no longer view my account online, but I can still email them requesting for hard copies to be sent to oversea address.. and also contacted OCBC bank was told have to update my foreign PP. however the CPF withdrawal form said if I have local bank maintained under NRIC I don't need to authenticate bank account....

So my question is how should I handle it from overseas? Appreciate if anyone could share experience who had done the procedure remotely from overseas? I just found the CPF withdrawal form/ procedure is pretty disconnected to the real world post renunciation... seems it does not take into account that we would not have any NRIC nor SG PP nor SINGPASS post it...
As of what I know, CPF just needs a verified and authenticated proof that the bank account the bank account that they are settling in SG that you claim it to be is yours. So, later update your passport details with OCBC and ask CPF if you show the account statement (certified original) with your name is that good enough.

I remember seeing a option where you can ask for a cheque to be sent to you and you take care of the deposit and encashing part as an alternative. You may check this with CPF board also

They are usually very helpful.
Thank you! Ya I agree, most govt ppl I am dealing with are super nice! I guess I just need to be patient and do one after another...

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 12:05 pm

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 30 Apr 2021 9:48 am
It is amazing how any major windfall can seemly evaporate quickly.

You really have to a great deal of discipline and resolve to preserve and grow it.

And therein lies the question, why would anyone withdraw their CPF, especially in this current low rate environment. You are not going to find a higher risk adjusted return.
Agreed Mal. I just received a massive payout from my employer - first thing I did was top up CPF to the max VC (as I doubt I'll have another CPF paying job this year) and I plan to top up SRS the same later this year. The rest I've got in a long term account. It takes real discipline though.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8498
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Apr 2021 9:38 pm

Adding to this Mal - I looked at the account I put my big payout in today and was reminded of my lesson learned a few decades ago when my sister and I both received an insurance payout for my father's untimely death. She spent hers in about 6 months and I locked mine into a fixed deposit that paid (at the time ) well over 10%. That money today is the foundation of my wealth (small as it is).

I guess I've learned to put large sums into places I can't get at quickly or without some thought and I need to do that with the current sum.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

e1coli
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat, 01 May 2021 1:58 am

Re: PR surrender and CPF withdrawal

Post by e1coli » Sat, 01 May 2021 2:09 am

I submitted renunciation in Oct 2020 and approval was received via embassy in March 2021 (though letter was dated Feb), total processing time was 5 months. Embassy says 5 months is the norm!

For CPF withdrawal, supporting docs only requires a copy of old passport, current passport and ica letter. They say processing time via bank transfer to SG banks is 5 to 7 weeks, it's been 5 weeks and I haven't received.

You may need to make a trip back to change your identity at the bank since you do not have IC anymore (it needs to be changed to your new passport number). I do not use singpass to view CPF statements, I downloaded an app called Singpass which have all the govt agencies and uses password not singpass.

Hope this helps!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests