Singapore Expats Forum

Waitress job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

KarolinaD

Waitress job

Postby KarolinaD » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 1:46 pm

Hello,
I just arrived in Singapore and I'm looking for a temporary job as a waitress.
Can anyone advise any nice restaurants with a relatively good pay that's worth applying for?
And also, as a European do I have chance to get a job in that field at all?
Any advice would be greately appreciated! :)
Thanks!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Waitress job

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 1:57 pm

KarolinaD wrote:Hello,
I just arrived in Singapore and I'm looking for a temporary job as a waitress.
Can anyone advise any nice restaurants with a relatively good pay that's worth applying for?
And also, as a European do I have chance to get a job in that field at all?
Any advice would be greately appreciated! :)
Thanks!

What is your immigration status?

KarolinaD

Re: Waitress job

Postby KarolinaD » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 2:41 pm

I am on a tourist visa here.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 2:59 pm

Very sorry, you cannot work on a Social Visit Pass (Tourist visa).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 3:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Very sorry, you cannot work on a Social Visit Pass (Tourist visa).

Plus, if she is going to work under a pass, don't expect "good" salaries. The competition is quite powerful, unless OP has special talents that can set her ahead of the cheaper competition.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter

Postby bro75 » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 4:17 pm

There are lots of openings in F&B but most of them are for citizens and PRs (or maybe LOCs) because they have exhausted their SPASS quotas. You will be competing for the few spots with applicants from mostly 3rd world countries. I believe the chances of you getting a job would be small but you can always try while you are here. Try the many high end restaurants to see if they are able to apply for employment passes.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 4:56 pm

Target expensive fine-dining restaurants and bars and ask. I see few Westerner working as the waiters.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 6:33 pm

the lynx wrote:Target expensive fine-dining restaurants and bars and ask. I see few Westerner working as the waiters.

Surely they will be delighted to hire somebody on SVP?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 5:31 pm

x9200, I'm not sure what has gotten into our posters recently. I see answers that take 50 words to give a one line answer if they had but read the original post instead of just scanning it. :roll:

Nobody is going to give you a job on an SVP unless it's illegally, if it is I don't want to see it mentioned here as we don't advise OR suggest that they do something illegal. I'm on a tourist visa (SVP) and I only want a temporary job. The only way that can happen is via WHP and that needs to be done before they get here and only certain criteria can use it. :-|

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 7:04 pm

I've seen a few bule waiters here, I'm not sure how they all managed to get work permits but i assume if they could do it legally, so could OP. Maybe its worth approaching a few high end bars and restaurants maybe and give them your CV, of course do tell them you are on a visitor visa and ask if they can make you a pass.
Chances are you will get a no and its a high probability.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 8:02 pm

I think you'll find that most of them are full time students doing degrees and because they are in an "approved" institution, they are allowed to work up to 16 hours a week.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... n-students

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 23 Apr 2016 8:51 pm

Besides....
I don't know what the Lynx meant by expensive fine-dining restaurants but from my experience I really doubt they would hire some random people students included for any waiting job (regardless the pass they held). Personally I also don't recall seeing many Caucasian waiters in such places. Yes, there are many Caucasian stuff, but they are on low-managerial levels (supervising the waiters for example). Just that they manoeuvre between the tables and pour a glass of champagne from time to time doesn't necessarily mean they are waiters.

QueensG

Postby QueensG » Sun, 24 Apr 2016 12:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nobody is going to give you a job on an SVP unless it's illegally

QFT (and you're still not gonna get a "relatively good" pay). You can easily get a WP and work six days a week for $1200-1500/month, but that's about it, regardless of your qualifications.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:x9200, I'm not sure what has gotten into our posters recently. I see answers that take 50 words to give a one line answer if they had but read the original post instead of just scanning it. :roll:

Nobody is going to give you a job on an SVP unless it's illegally, if it is I don't want to see it mentioned here as we don't advise OR suggest that they do something illegal. I'm on a tourist visa (SVP) and I only want a temporary job. The only way that can happen is via WHP and that needs to be done before they get here and only certain criteria can use it. :-|

I mean, OP can approach to ask for job and for them to apply visa for her to work as waitress.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:21 pm

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:x9200, I'm not sure what has gotten into our posters recently. I see answers that take 50 words to give a one line answer if they had but read the original post instead of just scanning it. :roll:

I mean, OP can approach to ask for job and for them to apply visa for her to work as waitress.

Are you, by any chance, dating BBCW now?