Singapore Expats

Primary School teacher in Singapore - General inquiry

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kensington

Primary School teacher in Singapore - General inquiry

Post by kensington » Tue, 19 Apr 2016 10:31 am

Hi All,

I am looking to find out more information for working as a primary school teacher in Singapore. From the UK, have completed PGCE, and currently teaching as a Primary 2 class teacher.

It would be great if you can share any information on the below areas or provide a link to where I could be directed to get more details:

International Schools - Primary 1 or 2:​

I) Basic queries -
1. School timing - Generally what are the days like, what time do teachers get in and out
2. Teaching Assistant - Is it a common to have TA's
3. Activities/trips - Is it an active environment? Frequency of trips with the children?
4. Homework/marking - Any thoughts to share on the intensity of homeworks/markings
5. No. of Semesters / Duration of breaks - How many semesters? How long are the summer breaks?
6. Resources - Do the schools provide sufficient resources for setting up boards/classroom?
7. Weekend Overtime - A classic question only teachers with experience can tell if you need to work over the weekends in order to complete your work.
8. Student to teacher ratio/class
9. International/local teacher ratios in International Schools
10. Curriculum / Teaching approach / Planning - ie Textbook based / hands on approach. How is the planning time allocated?
11. Training - Do schools provide good training opportunities?

II) Other queries -
1. Benefits as an Expat teacher - Housing / Medical insurance etc.
2. Suggested Int'l schools - Pls name a few good International Schools to work for?
3. Desired qualifications - Are the any specific qualifications that would be good to have?
4. Any mandatory assessment tests for student in Singapore - i.e. SATS (Standard assement tests) are given at the end of year 2, year 6 and year 9 in UK

Thanks a lot for your help! :D

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: Primary School teacher in Singapore - General inquiry

Post by Lisafuller » Sat, 30 Jan 2021 12:12 am

1. Primary school usually runs from 7am-2pm, teachers get in a little after 6 and leave around 4.
2. Teacher’s in local schools do NOT get TA’s
3. School field trips vary in frequency depending on school. At the very least, 5-10 a school year.
4. In lower primary, there is barely any assigned homework, so marking is not too bad.
5. Usually 2 semesters, 4 terms. Summer break is one month long, in June.
6. Yes.
7. Not sure, was never a teacher.
8. Anywhere from 1:25 to 1:35