Singapore Expats

Spouse PR need to serve NS?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
angieexs

Spouse PR need to serve NS?

Post by angieexs » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 2:44 pm

Hi all,

Here is a quick profile, we applied 2 months ago where I sponsored my husband's PR and receive IPA mail over the weekend.

Here are my questions and if anyone had this situation before please let me know what was your experience as this might impact if my husband takes up Singapore PR or not.

Profile:

Me: 6.5k finance job, age 27, Singapore citizen
Husband: 8k finance job, age 32, Canadian citizen

Does anyone know if he needs to serve NS? If he does serve, 2-2.5 years is too much. Should we reapply under PTS scheme?

If anyone sponsored her spouse (husband) recent years and was approved, did your husband had to serve NS? How old was your husband at the time he picked up PR?

Tried calling both ICA and MINDEF etc, they said he potentially could be liable but would not give a straight answer.

All inputs help really.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Spouse PR need to serve NS?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 3:15 pm

angieexs wrote: Tried calling both ICA and MINDEF etc, they said he potentially could be liable but would not give a straight answer.

All inputs help really.

Thanks!
Exactly correct. He will have to register but as he is over 30 I've never heard of someone having to do NS. Once registered, they will normally give him a waiver (in writing). This especially if he is/was qualified to apply on the PTS Scheme on his own.

However, always bear in mind that Mindef always reserves the right under the constitution to conscript him should it be required.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

tanwll

Post by tanwll » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 4:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
angieexs wrote: Tried calling both ICA and MINDEF etc, they said he potentially could be liable but would not give a straight answer.

All inputs help really.

Thanks!
Exactly correct. He will have to register but as he is over 30 I've never heard of someone having to do NS. Once registered, they will normally give him a waiver (in writing). This especially if he is/was qualified to apply on the PTS Scheme on his own.

However, always bear in mind that Mindef always reserves the right under the constitution to conscript him should it be required.
Out of curiosity, is it okay for a young husband to apply under PTS instead even though he is eligible for family ties if he's afraid that he might get called up for NS because he has to support his Singaporean wife and kid. being away for 2 years might be tough on the family in terms of financial

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 4:47 pm

Sure, he can, but then he might get rejected and then how? Oh, ye of little faith.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

angieexs

Post by angieexs » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 4:56 pm

All inputs help really.

Thanks!

I truly hope this is true. I really cant afford to have him go on NS for 2-2.5 years. Were you PR under spousal scheme as well?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 6:14 pm

Yes. But that was a long, long time ago.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:45 pm

How the hell.... I sometimes thing PR should be given on probation so ICA can check these idiotic questions.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Apr 2016 9:10 am

PNGMK, I'm having the same thoughts about http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110987
What to do?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 19 Apr 2016 9:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:PNGMK, I'm having the same thoughts about http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110987
What to do?
Yeh , but they gave the guy PR...

Maybe the Govt is trying to build a solid level of idiots who can be easily controlled :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

PermanentRisk

Post by PermanentRisk » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:18 pm

Barnsley wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:PNGMK, I'm having the same thoughts about http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110987
What to do?
Yeh , but they gave the guy PR...

Maybe the Govt is trying to build a solid level of idiots who can be easily controlled :D
You mean Kchang21081982? He received approval for his S Pass only if I understand his English correctly.

Yup reading his posts and English gave me cancer, despite the fact that we both hail from the same country.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:35 pm

Barnsley wrote:
I think they breed enough of their own without having to import more. :cool:

tanwll

Post by tanwll » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 9:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sure, he can, but then he might get rejected and then how? Oh, ye of little faith.
thank you SMS. just wondering for PTS scheme, if the wife applies as the main applicant (her credentials are better) while the husband applies as the dependent in the application form, will he be liable for NS?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:03 pm

tanwll wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sure, he can, but then he might get rejected and then how? Oh, ye of little faith.
thank you SMS. just wondering for PTS scheme, if the wife applies as the main applicant (her credentials are better) while the husband applies as the dependent in the application form, will he be liable for NS?
I don't advise doing that. There is a good possibility he could be called up for NS (but again as he's over 30 I doubt it). So based on my reading from ICA's site and appended below, I think it might not be the wisest way to go about it. Better chance if you apply using Family Ties and listing his credentials as well, then ICA will grant PR based on the better of the routes. See my highlighted point below....
NATIONAL SERVICE LIABILITY

17) Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are liable ot register for National Service (NS) upon reaching 161/2 years old. They are required to serve 2 years of full-time NS at 18 years old, followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).

18) Main applicants who are granted PR status under the first generation Professionals, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workesr Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. Male children, who are granted PR status under their parents' sponsorship, are liable for NS upon reaching 161/2 years old.

The trouble here is that the Family Ties route is conspicuously missing. Through my research, nowhere is there any hard and fast rulings regarding NS & Family Ties PR males. In all cases I've been able to find, ALL must register for NS but all have been sent letters notifying they that they need not do NS. But by making you register, apparently they retain the rights to make you do NS. I've seen reported cases of waivers of NS for as low as 28 years old. I don't think that it would be a problem, but at the same time, if your criteria/income is better than his, and he's young enough......Let's just say you buys yer ticket and takes yer chances.

19) NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS. Should they renounce or lose their PR status without serving or completing full-time NS, this would have an adverse impact on any application by them in the future to work or study in Singapore.

20) Male ex-Singapore Citizens and ex-Singapore Permanent Residents who are granted Singapore PR status are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of PR status they are granted. For further enquiries, please write to :-
Central Manpower Base
3 Depot Road, #03-07
Singapore 109680
Contact no(s): 1800-367-6767(local) or 65-6567-6767 (overseas)
Email : [email protected]

dustfall

Post by dustfall » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:08 am

Hi, my husband is 26. Will he be asked for ns? He is required to do medical check in cmpb.
tanwll wrote:
I don't advise doing that. There is a good possibility he could be called up for NS (but again as he's over 30 I doubt it). So based on my reading from ICA's site and appended below, I think it might not be the wisest way to go about it. Better chance if you apply using Family Ties and listing his credentials as well, then ICA will grant PR based on the better of the routes. See my highlighted point below....
NATIONAL SERVICE LIABILITY

17) Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are liable ot register for National Service (NS) upon reaching 161/2 years old. They are required to serve 2 years of full-time NS at 18 years old, followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready National Service per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for other ranks).

18) Main applicants who are granted PR status under the first generation Professionals, Technical Personnel and Skilled Workesr Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. Male children, who are granted PR status under their parents' sponsorship, are liable for NS upon reaching 161/2 years old.

The trouble here is that the Family Ties route is conspicuously missing. Through my research, nowhere is there any hard and fast rulings regarding NS & Family Ties PR males. In all cases I've been able to find, ALL must register for NS but all have been sent letters notifying they that they need not do NS. But by making you register, apparently they retain the rights to make you do NS. I've seen reported cases of waivers of NS for as low as 28 years old. I don't think that it would be a problem, but at the same time, if your criteria/income is better than his, and he's young enough......Let's just say you buys yer ticket and takes yer chances.

19) NS-liable PRs are expected to serve NS. Should they renounce or lose their PR status without serving or completing full-time NS, this would have an adverse impact on any application by them in the future to work or study in Singapore.

20) Male ex-Singapore Citizens and ex-Singapore Permanent Residents who are granted Singapore PR status are liable to be called up for NS regardless of the type of PR status they are granted. For further enquiries, please write to :-
Central Manpower Base
3 Depot Road, #03-07
Singapore 109680
Contact no(s): 1800-367-6767(local) or 65-6567-6767 (overseas)
Email : [email protected]