Singapore Expats

Real World National Service Experience?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
daveco23

Real World National Service Experience?

Post by daveco23 » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:08 pm

Hi Everyone,
So, we've been here 3+ years, loving it and want to stay for as long as possible. Giving serious thought to PR, and as we have a 9 year old boy, we are aware of the NS requirements for him when he comes of age.
Now, we don't have a problem with that, and fully intend to follow though on what needs to be done (ie - not scarpering when he hits 18...). We are wondering though, if by doing this we are not covering all bases in terms of what it will mean for him, and if we will be doing right by him by doing this?
Does anyone here have real - world experience of being an Ang Mo in the Military? I'm sure it's tough, but is it tougher for expat kids?
Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Real World National Service Experience?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 2:37 pm

I'm a VN war Vet, and yeah it was tough! Does that count? Didn't think so.

My son did his NS here in the SG Navy. Tougher for expat kids? Nah. Provided you didn't shelter his growing up years and trying to keep him away from locals (a lot do). Hopefully, you put him into the local school system. If you did, then he will have a blast. It's tough but as long as he's a straight shooter, he'll make friends that will remain part of his ever increasing network worldwide in later years. You never know what he will become or the guy who had his back on maneuvers will become. One might work for the other one some time in the future or be able to give a break/info when needed. Bonds are made there between the highest and the lowest members of society as all give up all trappings of society for that 21 to 24 months of BMT. He'll say it's rough, he'll complain, but he'll not rue the time spent after it's over and he'll learn a lot. They all do. My son is a reservist now. Been out about 3 years (he was older than the Drill Sgts in BMT) as he had a deferment when he was in NAFA here so he started at 21 instead of 18. He didn't have any problems at all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Real World National Service Experience?

Post by Pal » Sun, 08 Oct 2017 2:44 am

Just restored this thread
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property