Singapore Expats

SC rejection, appeal too. whats the next step?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
arreallia

SC rejection, appeal too. whats the next step?

Post by arreallia » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 4:37 pm

Briefly, Caucasian, living in Singapore for 21+ years, PR for the same number of years, been working for 10 over years.
2 SC by birth boys from previous marriage, one done his NS, second due in a couple of years.
1 baby girl from current marriage, husband PR for 7 years, his SC applications have been rejected 2 times before marriage.
Applied as a family.

Seen the MP, appeal unsuccessful.
What would be the next step?
Thank you
Last edited by arreallia on Sun, 17 Apr 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: SC rejection, appeal too. whats the next step?

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 4:44 pm

Look for a country to migrate or return to. Or keep appealing. I know of some people at my school who applied 6 times. Singapore doesn't seem to like these blended families I think (We are in a similar boat, US wife, Aust husband, 2 x SC kidss - Singapore just wants us gone).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

arreallia

Post by arreallia » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 5:00 pm

Thank you for your response PNGMK. Thats quite sad to know.

I am quite disappointed which i guess is natural, as the future seems uncertain now with my baby being on LTVP :(
We have submitted for her PR recently, so waiting for that for now as well.

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 5:21 pm

Do you mind giving us more info on your profile? Like occupation, salary, etc?
From the info you gave, your 2 boys from your previous marriage was SC, why didnt you apply at that time as a unit?

And during this SC application, was it a sponsored application (your current husband). Also what is your nationality?

yes i have heard anecdotal evidence of foreigners not making the cut recently.. think the government is trying to continue the racial mix

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SC rejection, appeal too. whats the next step?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 6:11 pm

lot286 wrote:Do you mind giving us more info on your profile? Like occupation, salary, etc?
From the info you gave, your 2 boys from your previous marriage was SC, why didnt you apply at that time as a unit?

And during this SC application, was it a sponsored application (your current husband). Also what is your nationality?

yes i have heard anecdotal evidence of foreigners not making the cut recently.. think the government is trying to continue the racial mix
Not sure why you want somebody's profile when they are asking for alternate solution ...

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 6:47 pm

Goes to the chances of appeal. Age is important too

arreallia

Post by arreallia » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 8:15 pm

To be honest, I don't think that info is relevant at the moment. I am looking for perhaps someone who may have gone thru a similar process or is/has been in a similar situation and how to take it forward as I have 3 minor kids and I have been raising the boys from previous marriage on my own for quite a number of years, just want to have some certainty and stability for all of them .
I don't think financial part of it is the cause, age wise I am below 40, Husband early 40's, none of the applications have been sponsored for SC, except for the baby, of course. Each has been submitted and was to be considered on its own merits.

Thanks!

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:13 pm

I have not heard of anyone who has had success after they appealed. However i know of cases where reapplication due to change in circumstances, have been successful. And in the past 1 year or so, rejection rates have been high among my expat friends (from Non-Asian countries). Those who got it, all got it via the first attempt. The rest are still trying. Good luck

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:41 pm

The "others" quota fills up very quickly and is continually oversubscribed.... Others of course is everything from Eskimos to Caucasians to Pacific Islanders... anyone who is not Indian, Chinese or Malay.

arreallia

Post by arreallia » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:49 pm

Thank you! Just a quick question, those people whom you have mentioned had been rejected followed by rejected appeals, have they also had SC in the immediate family?

lot286
Chatter
Chatter

Post by lot286 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:55 pm

Regarding your question - no, none of them had SCs in their familys. Which makes your case a bit 'curious'.

PNGMK is right..the 80-20 rule applies across the board - 80% chinese and 20% 'others'. Someone told me (I may be wrong) but out of 100% only 5% applies to non Malays and Indians. that means for someone outta Europe, Australia and US, there is only a 5% success rate among 100 applicants? One of which was the founder of facebook of course!

arreallia

Post by arreallia » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:06 pm

Thank you lot286, I suppose we will go to the MP again and see what he suggests.
My case is a somewhat complicated, considering there are 2 children involved who only have Singapore citizenship and whose home is here plus there are NS/studies/other reasons and the baby who is on LTVP

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: SC rejection, appeal too. whats the next step?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:13 pm

lot286 wrote:Regarding your question - no, none of them had SCs in their familys. Which makes your case a bit 'curious'.

PNGMK is right..the 80-20 rule applies across the board - 80% chinese and 20% 'others'. Someone told me (I may be wrong) but out of 100% only 5% applies to non Malays and Indians. that means for someone outta Europe, Australia and US, there is only a 5% success rate among 100 applicants? One of which was the founder of facebook of course!
You mean the Facebook fellow went through the quota ?

Damn, I learnt something new today.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:44 pm

arreallia wrote:Thank you lot286, I suppose we will go to the MP again and see what he suggests.
My case is a somewhat complicated, considering there are 2 children involved who only have Singapore citizenship and whose home is here plus there are NS/studies/other reasons and the baby who is on LTVP
It certainly seems unfair. However as I suspect you're stuck because of Quote (other poster was wrong about 20%, it's more like 2% as per the 'other' % of current population) you may luck out by continually re-applying.... I do know of someone who got in after 6 applications... (a caucasian).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:29 pm

Me thinks lot286 has just about the computing power of an old 286 pc. He's spouting so much BS that shows he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about.

First of all, Others only comprises 2% of the total demographic of Singapore. Secondly Chinese only make up somewhere between 75 & 76 per cent with Indian occupying 9+ percent and Malays mostly steady at 14%. Chinese used to make up 78% of the resident population but during the years between 1998 and 2005 during Singapore's push for an IT Hub and the fears of the Y2K scare they ramped up by bringing in Indian IT personnel in droves. (It was a compromise of getting the skills for what they were willing to pay for that expertise)

Sadly, it wasn't until the 2011 GE that they took stock found out the demographic for Indians had moved up 2+ percentage points and dropping the Chinese demographic by 2%. They had to correct that so what has been happening for the past 5 years is the rate of acceptance of Indians has been practically nil, and Most any breathing Malaysian Chinese has been given PR/SC. This will continue until the demographic has been righted. ICA has never made any bones about the fact that they use immigration to maintain the demographic balances where they like them. Therefore all this BS he is going on about is a red herring. Additionally, ICA will go over any so-called quota for Any Race IF there is something that they really want. For the record there is not an annual quota as he seems to think.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers