Singapore Expats

Can I reject an offer from an employer (in Singapore) after my IPAL has been approved by MOM

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
newUser@SG

Can I reject an offer from an employer (in Singapore) after my IPAL has been approved by MOM

Post by newUser@SG » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 3:20 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I need your advice:

I am currently working for an CompanyA (permanent but less pay). I have been offered a job in new CompanyB (contract 2 years but better pay).

I was told by CompanyB that i need not resign from my current job untill they apply/get an approval for my new EP. I was told only after EP is approved by MOM they will ask me to sign a contract.

Before accepting the provisional offer on call (not via any contract) I have clearly informed them in e-mail that I am happy to join them only if they are ready to consider below point:

- ONLY if they can complete all formalities in next 3 weeks time. As I have plans of serving my notice with current employer before i go for my wedding in July. Any delay in completing the formalities will ruin my wedding plans...

They have said it is possible and have applied for my EP.

My question is:

1. If it takes more than 3 weeks time to process (i understand it is MOM decission) then can i backout from accepting their offer after IPAL is received ?

What consequences will i face ? Considering that I have not signed any contract with them yet ?

Looking forward for your response.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Can I reject an offer from an employer (in Singapore) after my IPAL has been approved by MOM

Post by the lynx » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 3:30 pm

newUser@SG wrote:Hi All,

I am new to this forum and I need your advice:

I am currently working for an CompanyA (permanent but less pay). I have been offered a job in new CompanyB (contract 2 years but better pay).

I was told by CompanyB that i need not resign from my current job untill they apply/get an approval for my new EP. I was told only after EP is approved by MOM they will ask me to sign a contract.

Before accepting the provisional offer on call (not via any contract) I have clearly informed them in e-mail that I am happy to join them only if they are ready to consider below points:

- I can report to new job only from August and not in July (due to wedding)
- Once my EP is processed they will sponsor for my spouse Dependent Pass
- Most importantly - ONLY if they can complete all formalities in next 3 weeks time. As I have plans of serving my notice with current employer before i go for wedding. Any delay will ruin my wedding plans...

My question is:

1. Once they apply for my EP.. and if it takes more than 3 weeks time to process (i understand its in MOM decission) then can i backout from accepting their offer after IPAL is received ?

What consequences will i face ? Considering that I have not signed any contract with them yet ?

Looking forward for your response.
I don't understand. So do you still want to work for Company B or not eventually?

IPA has validity of 6 months, and with one-time option to extend by another one month, so don't worry if you get IPA now AND you join them in August (provided they agree to that first).

newUser@SG

Re: Can I reject an offer from an employer (in Singapore) after my IPAL has been approved by MOM

Post by newUser@SG » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 4:01 pm

Sorry if i was not clear.

Yes i am interested to join CompanyB as long as I get the IPAL in next three weeks. If i receive IPAL after 3 weeks time then I will have to reject their offer (unavoidable reasons). I understand that this is MOM decission.

But I just want to know assuming I receive IPAL after 3 weeks , in which case i will have no option but to reject their offer.

If i reject their offer after i receive IPAL what will be the consequence ? Will i be liable for anything to CompanyB ?

Please note that I have not yet signed their contract.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 4:27 pm

I can't think of any liability unless you committed fraud of some kind -- some material misrepresentation that Company B relied on in good faith. I'm not suggesting you did, and there's no indication you did.

That said, I'm also confused why you have a self-imposed 3 week deadline. Let's suppose for example the new EP's IPA is issued on May 15, 2016. As The Lynx mentioned, it's good for 6 months, so it won't expire until November 15, 2016 (or thereabouts). Assuming Company B holds the position open, you can give your current employer one month notice on, say, August 31, 2016 -- long after your wedding -- and join Company B on October 1, 2016.

It's up to you of course whether you want to stick to that 3 week deadline you've really imposed on yourself. It seems fine if you want to.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 6:19 pm

I think the IPA will come through in 1 week, if not earlier. 3 weeks is rare. I have plently of experience with applying EPs. This is my 4 job(technically 5th as the 1st job, I got converted from agency payroll to perm) and in between I also had a PEP which I held for 1.5 years. So I can write a book on applying for EPs, lol.

newUser@SG

Post by newUser@SG » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 7:17 pm

Hi lynx/BBCWatcher/Wd40.

Thanks for addressing my query.

The 3 weeks deadline is due to the fact that , CompanyB wants me to join latest by first week of August (URGENT requirement). So the plan is :

1. Apply for EP on 15th April. Get IPA on or before 5th of May (keeping my fingures crossed)
2. Resign from CompanyA and serve notice of 2 months until 5th of July(no buy out or leaves during this time)
3. Go for my wedding (its on 8th July)
4. Return in august and join CompanyB

As you can see things are lined up hence the 3 weeks deadline. This is a good oppurtunity so i don't want to let it go. I have informed this to CompanyB. They will be applying for EP on 15th April.

My only concern is , if for some reason if IPA is issued after 6th of May then I will not be available in SG to resign and serve my 2 months notice period. So I won't sign the contract with CompanyB. In such case after IPA is issued can i reject their offer ? Will this have any impact on my future employment in SG or will this be reported to MOM.

thanks in advance.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:07 am

Ah so it is more of you being concerned that the IPA would be issued too late for your plans to line up well. In other words, if IPA isn't issued in time, you'd rather let go of Company B and use your annual leave in Company A for wedding, right? Understandable. Because trying to go on leave for your wedding/honeymoon within your first month in Company B isn't an ideal thing to show to your new employer anyway (although some companies, if they are desperate enough, they will accommodate that for you once you join them after this has been communicated during interview/negotiation stage).

To be honest, if your employment profile is good (salary commensurable to your experience, qualifications and skills, credible qualifications, you're not taking a job away from locals, not shady SME, etc), IPA can be issued right after 24 hours. It happened to me before.

newUser@SG

Post by newUser@SG » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:27 am

Hi Lynx,

Thanks for responding. Yes you got it right. Thats exactly my concern.

ScenarioA: On the positive side if IPA is issued on time then I will be more than happy to join CompanyB.

ScenarioB: Incase IPA is delayed then I have no options but to let go of CompanyB.

Would like to know your views on ScenarioB. If i let go of CompanyB after MOM issues me a IPA do you think this will affect either my current or future employment in Singapore ?

thanks in advance.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:46 am

Ah my bad, when I was typing my previous post, I meant to address that question but I forgot.

If you decide to let go off company B after MOM issues you IPA, you can theoretically do so. Company B has to cancel IPA via their MOM portal. I am not sure if they have to state the reason for the cancellation (need to ask those are employers themselves to verify this), but if the reason sounds valid and not the negative ones, it shouldn't harm your future opportunities. However repeated cancellations for the same person by same or different companies will definitely gets MOM's interest, if you know what I mean.

newUser@SG

Post by newUser@SG » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:56 am

Hi Lynx/Hi All,

Many thanks for sharing your views and addressing my quiries. This was my first post in the fourm and I am overwhelmed by the way my quiries were promptly addressed.

Hoping for the best :)

thanks one and all....you all are awesome.

gowtham

Post by gowtham » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 3:40 am

Hi,

I've sign and accepted a job offer. The company have applied EP for me but my current employer request me to stay with them (still I’ve valid EP with my current company)

My EP has been processed/New employer got IPA for me, If i refuse to join with new employer it will have any effect on me if I apply or renew current EP in Singapore in the future? Will there be something like blacklist of applicant from MOM?
Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 9:04 am

No. But the courteous thing to do is request the new employer to cancel or withdraw the IPA.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 9:08 am

Think again if you want to stay with the current employer. Once you resign, your employer will know that you can do it again, they will have a backup ready for you and next downturn, you may be the 1st to go.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Nov 2017 10:30 am

^^^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers