Singapore Expats

Unceremoniously booted out of SingTel

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Unceremoniously booted out of SingTel

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 16 Apr 2016 1:10 pm

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:i've always been prepaid for the last 4 years i've been here, and doing 10$ topups, the bare minimum.
I don't see a point to subscribe to useless shoddy services i don't need.
10$ top ups give me 500MB of data for 15 days, its enough to check emails/whatsapp for 15 d and then i top up 10$ again. (pro tip: better to do a 10$ top up twice a month than doing 20$ once because these asshats give you 500Mb per topup irrespective of the amount)
You have to remember to top it up and I am not too good in this - its a dongle I use under linux or iOS, it doesn't tell me, hey, top me up please, and even if it did I have better things to do then topping it up every 15 days.

I had the same problem with the mobile bb I keep for my mother back at home. I wasted a few $100 over 5-6y just so I could have a break in this idiotic topping up every few months. Finally I convinced her to get a post-paid plan. Huge relief and savings.
i know, its a real PITA to top up every 15days, in my case im usually travelling outside singapore two weeks in a month. it doesn't make any sort of sense for me to go post paid when i'm shuttling back and forth.
Other thing I have my workphone which i can use to call anywhere in the world for free, so i offload all my international calling on that one.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:55 am

From New Republic in my FB feed this morning:
1Gbps fibre broadband with the freedom of no 24-month contract! $60/month includes router and land line.

No idea about New Republic or why it is in my feed.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: RE: Re: Unceremoniously booted out of SingTel

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:09 am

Brah wrote:From New Republic in my FB feed this morning:
1Gbps fibre broadband with the freedom of no 24-month contract! $60/month includes router and land line.

No idea about New Republic or why it is in my feed.
Your search history/web browsing history gets tracked and then you get customized advertisements.

This happens all the time. You do some searches for airline tickets or holidays and you will notice related advertisements in FB as well as this forum advertisements.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 5:49 pm

The kind of tracking that happens is insane. Have you noticed SMS ads from SingTel, when you are traveling by MRT nr tanjong pagar, you get an SMS that there is a 1 for 1 offer at a certain restaurant at tanjong pagar. It just happened to me now. Also last time when I was in Changi airport I got a similar SMS offer dining.

Josepho

Post by Josepho » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 10:07 am

I just received the letter from SingTel informing that they will terminate my 1 Mbps 50 GB dual sim mobile broadband which I have used for more than 10 years! They offered me an "exclusive" deal which costs $150 to replace my current $12 plan. Do I have any contractual rights to refuse Singtel unilateral termination notice?

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 2:25 pm

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 5:52 pm

Josepho wrote:I just received the letter from SingTel informing that they will terminate my 1 Mbps 50 GB dual sim mobile broadband which I have used for more than 10 years! They offered me an "exclusive" deal which costs $150 to replace my current $12 plan. Do I have any contractual rights to refuse Singtel unilateral termination notice?
No.

Like how they forgot my 13 year business to them.

They won't give a hoot

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 01 Oct 2016 7:44 pm

If you are on a month to month plan now, since you original 12 or 24 month plan ran out, you have no options except to accept a new plan or change carriers. Be thankful they have left you alone for 8 years. Sure you can refuse, they will just turn it off, no problem as they have given you all the notice that is needed.

And yes, I got done by with Singtel as well but for a different matter and they finally left me alone after two years when I told them if I hear another word from them I will answer them on social media. I've not heard anything from them in almost two years now. But I'll never be able to get Singtel service, but as bad as it is, who the hell would want them
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:13 am

Unfortunately the concept of legacy pricing last forever doesn't exist here.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 02 Oct 2016 11:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: And yes, I got done by with Singtel as well but for a different matter and they finally left me alone after two years when I told them if I hear another word from them I will answer them on social media. I've not heard anything from them in almost two years now. But I'll never be able to get Singtel service, but as bad as it is, who the hell would want them
Lol. Me too, they will never give me any Singtel service. And I am sure they just don't care.

Btw, I was in Far East Shopping Center, when a Singtel guy came in and asked the shop owner to move to fibre.

The shop owner was like, it's expensive and I am pretty happy with current ADSL. I don't do much other than some MOM site access .... Any installation costs not worth for Fibre. ...

Singtel guys reply ? "Madam, next year we will stop ADSL. Sign up Fibre now, pay less for Fibre now, or pay much more next year to get fibre. Yes. You need to change router etc .. and pay, no choice. "

Welcome to Singtel.

Wd40 wrote:The kind of tracking that happens is insane. Have you noticed SMS ads from SingTel, when you are traveling by MRT nr tanjong pagar, you get an SMS that there is a 1 for 1 offer at a certain restaurant at tanjong pagar. It just happened to me now. Also last time when I was in Changi airport I got a similar SMS offer dining.

Late reply ...
LBS, geo fencing, and the likes of Singtel are selling all data and making $$$$ without your permission.