Singapore Expats

What is the nightlife like in Singapore for a party animal?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Mul252

What is the nightlife like in Singapore for a party animal?

Post by Mul252 » Sat, 02 Apr 2016 6:21 pm

Hi,

I want to move to Singapore. I have been seeing some really nice job offers in my field.

What really is the nightlife like there? I would consider myself a party animal. I live at the moment in Berlin where we can pretty much party all night at the weekends if we like.

Is the quality of music good in Singapore or is it just commercial stuff?

Is Singapore really so strict? For example, to buy beer in the supermarket at late hours etc.

Thanks in advance :)

x9200

Re: What is the nightlife like in Singapore for a party animal?

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Apr 2016 7:19 pm

Mul252 wrote:Hi,

I want to move to Singapore. I have been seeing some really nice job offers in my field.

What really is the nightlife like there? I would consider myself a party animal. I live at the moment in Berlin where we can pretty much party all night at the weekends if we like.

Is Singapore really so strict? For example, to buy beer in the supermarket at late hours etc.

The nightlife is ok, the music, don't know, non-commercial? I can sing a bit, beer and such, if you can afford it, no problem.

PS. Get an idea here: https://redmart.com/alcohol

Mul252

Post by Mul252 » Sat, 02 Apr 2016 8:36 pm

x9200 wrote:

The nightlife is ok, the music, don't know, non-commercial? I can sing a bit, beer and such, if you can afford it, no problem.

Thanks. Until what time is it possible to buy alcohol from supermarkets for example do you know , and from what time in the morning? Do bars and clubs stay open late?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 02 Apr 2016 9:06 pm

Mul252 wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Thanks. Until what time is it possible to buy alcohol from supermarkets for example do you know , and from what time in the morning? Do bars and clubs stay open late?
Generally you may buy till 10:30pm and after 7am (by law, some areas may have 24/7 prohibition). Bars and such until they decide to, I guess an average is 2-4am. After 10pm you can still drink in bars and in private areas of course. You are only prohibited from doing it in public places (restaurants, bars with streets tables excepted).

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 9:22 pm

I just moved back from Leeds (also a party town!!).
Singapore definitely won't be as cool as berlin but if you like electronic music, clubs like kyo or canvas sometimes have some good DJ bookings, the scene's catching up I guess. Drinks won't be cheap though.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 5:04 pm

AngelJoy wrote:I just moved back from Leeds (also a party town!!).
Singapore definitely won't be as cool as berlin but if you like electronic music, clubs like kyo or canvas sometimes have some good DJ bookings, the scene's catching up I guess. Drinks won't be cheap though.
Hey AngelJoy, it has been a long time! No wonder haven't had you posting here often for a long while.

I agree with Kyo but not quite for Canvas, if I may disagree (unless you're not talking about the one at Riverwalk). Been there four times and haven't been thoroughly impressed with the lineup. Either I was unlucky and missed the really good ones, or I have different opinion on what is considered as good :P

Having said that, I'm no expert either so would love to have recommendations on who are the good ones and where they play so that I can go check them out!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 6:34 pm

Mul252 wrote:Is Singapore really so strict? For example, to buy beer in the supermarket at late hours etc.
Yes it is strict, and certainly vs Berlin which might be the 'anything goes' capital of Europe. I was surprised on a recent visit to Berlin to see an ad for the 'Golden Horn Beefclub', and later google it to find it's not the predictable gay S+M encounter club [mit privat kabinen etc]... it's a damned restaurant... can you believe it, that's outrageous lol :)
You could say Berlin to Germany is like 1920s Shanghai vs mainland China. SG might be the flipside, strict and rules based, with the perceived greater good of 'responsible productive society' put well ahead of individual freedoms.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Sat, 16 Apr 2016 7:55 pm

the lynx wrote:
Hey AngelJoy, it has been a long time! No wonder haven't had you posting here often for a long while.

I agree with Kyo but not quite for Canvas, if I may disagree (unless you're not talking about the one at Riverwalk). Been there four times and haven't been thoroughly impressed with the lineup. Either I was unlucky and missed the really good ones, or I have different opinion on what is considered as good :P

Having said that, I'm no expert either so would love to have recommendations on who are the good ones and where they play so that I can go check them out!
Oh haha, have we met before? sorry for my bad memories.
I in fact got to know canvas while in Leeds when a famous DJ from Leeds told he was gonna play there, i didn't know where it actually was but it turned out to be at the old spot of HOME. So far I've only been there once, for the sake of free booze hahaha. Still need more recommendations too :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:41 pm

AngelJoy wrote:
the lynx wrote:

I in fact got to know canvas while in Leeds when a famous DJ from Leeds told he was gonna play there, i didn't know where it actually was but it turned out to be at the old spot of HOME. So far I've only been there once, for the sake of free booze hahaha. Still need more recommendations too :D
HAHA, of course not in person, but here. I've always looked forward to reading your posts on music and entertainment recommendations in Singapore. Yeah it was previously HOME CLUB and then Canvas took over about 2-3 years ago.

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:29 pm

the lynx wrote:
AngelJoy wrote:
the lynx wrote:

HAHA, of course not in person, but here. I've always looked forward to reading your posts on music and entertainment recommendations in Singapore. Yeah it was previously HOME CLUB and then Canvas took over about 2-3 years ago.
Haha, been really passionate about music and this never changes while in the UK :D
coming back, I'm still exploring the scene here, and it's thriving a bit compared to the past.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:34 pm

@AngelJoy,
I also went to Leeds Uni. Long long ago now, back when beer down in the union bar was 25p/pt! :-O Many happy memories, too many in fact (apparently lol...)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:42 pm

No recreational drugs.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:48 pm

JR8 wrote:@AngelJoy,
I also went to Leeds Uni. Long long ago now, back when beer down in the union bar was 25p/pt! :-O Many happy memories, too many in fact (apparently lol...)
oh i didn't go to leeds uni but studied in sheffield instead. but lived in leeds for a while too, yes, what a party town haha, got some really good buddies there, all the music nerds :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:00 pm

OIC - I'd friends at Sheffield too (Engineering IIRC).
Leeds was pretty legendary for live concerts, I suppose the uni/poly combined was large enough to promise good audiences so it drew in some amazing bands. Talking about 'lived in Leeds', the Who recorded a live album there 'Live in Leeds'.
Used to be maaaasses of curry-houses too. I remember one we used to go to up in Hyde Park was in the front 2 rooms of someone's house!

AngelJoy
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AngelJoy » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 11:48 pm

JR8 wrote:OIC - I'd friends at Sheffield too (Engineering IIRC).
Leeds was pretty legendary for live concerts, I suppose the uni/poly combined was large enough to promise good audiences so it drew in some amazing bands. Talking about 'lived in Leeds', the Who recorded a live album there 'Live in Leeds'.
Used to be maaaasses of curry-houses too. I remember one we used to go to up in Hyde Park was in the front 2 rooms of someone's house!
oh do you know now they have a music fest across various venues now called "live at leeds"?
ah, i lived pretty near hyde park and in fact it was like 5 mins walk to brudenell social club, one of the city's most iconic music venues,and close to hyde park picture house as well!