Singapore Expats Forum

Domestic Helpers and driving license

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Domestic Helpers and driving license

Postby the lynx » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 9:39 am

ElizabethG, welcome to Singapore. Hope you and your family get to settle down smoothly.

Regarding maid agency who could help with paperwork, I personally do not know any. But transferring maid from different residential countries are not uncommon so you should be able to get the info you need by calling few agencies you can Google. I think there are few expats who have done it before, probably you can use the Search function on top right.

As for driving, depending on the country you're from, you can just do the BTT (basic theory test) and just convert after you pass the test. JR8 has given you pretty good links. To answer your question above, yes, you can drive on your international DL for 12 months but after which you must drive on converted DL.

Extra note to explain why BBCW and Raj are being cheeky with the driving question. Driving is the second most expensive thing in Singapore after accommodation (perhaps medical) not only to expats, but locals as well (despite of huge subsidy by government). Only those who make a lot of money drive, or those who have cars provided by their companies to drive. It is far far far more common to take public transport, even taxis on regular basis here.

Extra, extra note on driving in Singapore, it is not as dangerous/stressful as driving in Manila, KL, Ho Chi Minh City and Jakarta, but one will be royally pissed by how bad the spatial awareness of the majority of drivers here. Like what SMS said, they drive to aim their car at yours (joke). Common sense flies out of window here. This is where you need to learn defensive driving. At least the drivers in Manila etc are street-smart drivers, despite driving like they are in some crime movie.
But if you have very young kids, driving own car is mighty convenient.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 9:45 am

PNGMK wrote:Actually an FDW cannot legally drive in Singapore. I looked into this. Yes yes I know some do but they are not meant to.

I think you are right, based on my 'exhaustive research' .. (other than the fact her driving deprives a Singaporean the opportunity to earn 1.2K or more per month ) ..

Saw this somewhere:

A foreign domestic worker (FDW) is employed to take care of the domestic household needs of the employer’s family. Driving a motorised vehicle is not an essential component of household work, thus, an FDW should not drive as part of her domestic duties. Doing so would constitute a breach of the Work Permit conditions.

And then this:

– The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will consider, on a case by case basis, where a family has special needs and seeks approval from the Ministry to do so

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 9:51 am

the lynx wrote:Only those who make a lot of money drive, or those who have cars provided by their companies to drive.

Also those with small kids that value the safety of their kids and still can afford a car somehow.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:28 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Actually an FDW cannot legally drive in Singapore. I looked into this. Yes yes I know some do but they are not meant to.

I think you are right, based on my 'exhaustive research' .. (other than the fact her driving deprives a Singaporean the opportunity to earn 1.2K or more per month ) ..

Saw this somewhere:

A foreign domestic worker (FDW) is employed to take care of the domestic household needs of the employer’s family. Driving a motorised vehicle is not an essential component of household work, thus, an FDW should not drive as part of her domestic duties. Doing so would constitute a breach of the Work Permit conditions.

And then this:

– The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) will consider, on a case by case basis, where a family has special needs and seeks approval from the Ministry to do so

My view on this is that if the FDW has a home country licence and can magically get it converted to a Singapore licence she will get away with it even in a random police check (because the SPF are lazy and simply aren't going to dig deeper into a 'valid' D/L being presented). In my case I went in hoping I could pay for my FDW to take driving lessons and then get a Singapore D/L and I was told no way, step off the block Jack, take a step back. Therefore if you want a maid who can drive you need to hire one who has a valid home country licence. I had never seen this happen before until a few years back I noticed my Aussie friends maid dropping their sons off at my place for a party... I was seriously mouth agap and flies flew in.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 10:31 am

the lynx wrote:ElizabethG, welcome to Singapore. Hope you and your family get to settle down smoothly.
Extra note to explain why BBCW and Raj are being cheeky with the driving question. Driving is the But if you have very young kids, driving own car is mighty convenient.

Both twats and I should know being one.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 11:31 am

PNGMK wrote:
the lynx wrote:ElizabethG, welcome to Singapore. Hope you and your family get to settle down smoothly.
Extra note to explain why BBCW and Raj are being cheeky with the driving question. Driving is the But if you have very young kids, driving own car is mighty convenient.

Both twats and I should know being one.

:lol: sorry we always give all newbies a bit of a tease here.. welcome to Singapore.. and soon you'll realize you won't need to drive as much since the public transport is extremely good.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Hidy Ho » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 3:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:What's with the stupid questions, "Why would you want to drive in Singapore?"

They're the cool kids on the block :shock: