Singapore Expats Forum

2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9250
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:35 am

nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote: It may struggle, terribly, but doubt Singapore will die.


And only because I'm already out, I'd like to see that: how Singapore will fare if all foreigners left. No transition; everyone who's not "true-blue Singaporean"* just packs up their bags and caught flights away.

*includes all naturalized citizens in the last 15 years.


It's whether Singapore will evaporate/cease to exist, or not .. I say NOT.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:37 am

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:
ecureilx wrote: It may struggle, terribly, but doubt Singapore will die.


And only because I'm already out, I'd like to see that: how Singapore will fare if all foreigners left. No transition; everyone who's not "true-blue Singaporean"* just packs up their bags and caught flights away.

*includes all naturalized citizens in the last 15 years.


It's whether Singapore will evaporate/cease to exist, or not .. I say NOT.


I no longer have stakes with the city state so I'm indulging my nihilistic tendencies. :twisted:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 1:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote:this is the best joke today!! eu can survive without all the immigrants. you losers would starv as you can't even cook your own food anymore


We know you have a lot of love for Singapore. But truth be told, a country like Singapore decided to prune 50% of foreigners, and yes, like Singapore, they needed foreign help to even flush the toilets.

Guess what happened ? Nothing - nada, Zilch.

The country stumbled for a five of years or so and is now doing fine.

All Singapore needs is a strong willed leader to do the amputation, and things will get fixed by themselves after that.

That you need all the foreigners here or Singapore will die - is a myth. It may struggle, terribly, but doubt Singapore will die.


Which country was that?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby JR8 » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 3:37 pm

ecureilx wrote:It's whether Singapore will evaporate/cease to exist, or not .. I say NOT.


You also said you 'doubt Singapore will die'.
But no one else (but you) have floated any of these things. :???:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby x9200 » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 9:59 pm

Barnsley wrote:The racist nutcrackers in the UK are considered "of the right" when if you read their "other" policies they are all of the left.

It's a common construct. Take for example NSDAP. You will find this right-left schizophrenia even in the very name.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9157
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby x9200 » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 10:16 pm

ecureilx wrote:All Singapore needs is a strong willed leader to do the amputation, and things will get fixed by themselves after that.

That you need all the foreigners here or Singapore will die - is a myth. It may struggle, terribly, but doubt Singapore will die.

Singapore as you know it now will likely die. I am not saying it is going to perish or disappear, just the status quo will have to change. This strong leader surely realised it already. The problem is, what was possibly justified and undertaken in the past decades is not longer applicable to the current society. You suggest a quick fix. There is not any.

calugaruvaxile
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun, 08 Feb 2015

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby calugaruvaxile » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 11:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
calugaruvaxile wrote:this is the best joke today!! eu can survive without all the immigrants. you losers would starv as you can't even cook your own food anymore


We know you have a lot of love for Singapore. But truth be told, a country like Singapore decided to prune 50% of foreigners, and yes, like Singapore, they needed foreign help to even flush the toilets.

Guess what happened ? Nothing - nada, Zilch.

The country stumbled for a five of years or so and is now doing fine.

All Singapore needs is a strong willed leader to do the amputation, and things will get fixed by themselves after that.

That you need all the foreigners here or Singapore will die - is a myth. It may struggle, terribly, but doubt Singapore will die.


i'm not sure when sg has "decided" to "prune" the foreigners. as far as i can see, sg just can't afford some of them anymore (A-STAR already started to "prune" their foreign employees before bonuses).
the others who left (individuals and businesses) were not "pruned", but rather - left for greener pastures.

and what happened, really? well, let's see. read your beloved paper (the straits) and see that the number of unemployed sg pmets is going up rapidly. also from the same paper, the number of vacuum-filled apartments is following the same trend. and the number of clientless shops in the shiny-new malls. the taxes are going up, the benefits are going down (hey, let's see the bonuses this year!!). ya know how this is called? depression.

the worst problem for sgporeans is that they're trapped in mortgage paying for they are "asset-rich". and they are "trapped" as selling your beloved "snapped-up property" today gives you two options: 1. wait for ages for a buyer willing to pay enough for you not to lose money ('cause it's your pension money in those walls) and 2. sell at loss, declare yourself backrupt and be restricted in traveling. either way, you're trapped.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: 2 explosions in Brussels airport this afternoon

Postby JR8 » Fri, 25 Mar 2016 2:02 am

Reminds me of a book, apparently the 2nd highest selling book in the US after the bible.

'Atlas Shrugged is a 1957 novel by Ayn Rand. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of science fiction,[2] mystery, and romance,[3][4][5] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.
The book depicts a dystopian United States, wherein many of society's most prominent and successful industrialists abandon their fortunes and the nation itself, in response to aggressive new regulations, whereupon most vital industries collapse.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

Seems stopping the Oppos in their tracks with lots of promises for those in the electorate who feel excluded, might have a price attached.

- 'Compare and contrast vs the 'FTs' getting persecuted out of Zimbabwe and the economic situation that that country is now in'...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest