Singapore Expats Forum

bad taxi experience

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

bad taxi experience

Postby nanana » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:37 pm

Ok. My flight landed Changi at 3.15am. Super tired at this hour. Queued up for a cab and was assigned to this particular Chrysler taxi. I had two big luggage. The driver in his 40s, looked tall and fit, commented that my luggage were too heavy and asked me to help him in loading them into the car. Well, I don't mind helping him except that I am still on my cast for the broken finger. Nevertheless, I helped him with my other hand. But when I told him my destination, he gave me a big sigh, cos the place that I was going was about 10-15 mins drive from the airport.

Total cost was about SGD23 for that short distance. Before I got off the cab, he gave me another sigh and commented that he had been waiting for 2 hours but only get to earn this much (in a non-friendly way). WTF! as if that is my problem to let him wait for 2 hours. I really didn't have the energy to argue with him at this hour, so I emptied my coin pouch and gave him all the coins (guessing around SGD 5 -8). I got out from the cab, and he got out too. I thought he would help me to unload the luggage, instead he lit up a cigarette and just watched me to unload the luggage by myself with one hand. What a d***h***!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 8:22 pm

nanana wrote:Ok. My flight landed Changi at 3.15am. Super tired at this hour. Queued up for a cab and was assigned to this particular Chrysler taxi. I had two big luggage. The driver in his 40s, looked tall and fit, commented that my luggage were too heavy and asked me to help him in loading them into the car. Well, I don't mind helping him except that I am still on my cast for the broken finger. Nevertheless, I helped him with my other hand. But when I told him my destination, he gave me a big sigh, cos the place that I was going was about 10-15 mins drive from the airport.

Total cost was about SGD23 for that short distance. Before I got off the cab, he gave me another sigh and commented that he had been waiting for 2 hours but only get to earn this much (in a non-friendly way). WTF! as if that is my problem to let him wait for 2 hours. I really didn't have the energy to argue with him at this hour, so I emptied my coin pouch and gave him all the coins (guessing around SGD 5 -8). I got out from the cab, and he got out too. I thought he would help me to unload the luggage, instead he lit up a cigarette and just watched me to unload the luggage by myself with one hand. What a d***h***!

Report to LTA, 1800CALLLTA

I hope you noted his name and taxi number

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:27 pm

I'm sorry to hear your plight, I had a different experience today, I had really friendly taxi driver. Helped me with the luggage too, it wad one of those newish Hyundai taxis.
I wouldn't touch those Chrysler cabs with a barge pole myself, simple because of its stupid pricing and pretentiousness.
But then again those are the types of cabs which differentiate themselves from others by providing classy,polite chauffeur type services.
Oh and three weeks ago, a taxi guy tried to run me over when I tried to cross the road when the pedestrian light was green for me.. The motherfcker saw me crossing and didn't stop, he had a right turn but he drove right through and I almost fell.backwards avoiding him. It was a really close call.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4849
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 9:04 am

Uber. ?But seriously for short fares from Changi I tend to tip as well.. (i.e. to Loyang).
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:45 am

Sorry to hear that. Let it go, cause I have known some people who received racist comments from taxi Drivers as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:46 pm

gayan1991 wrote:Sorry to hear that. Let it go, cause I have known some people who received racist comments from taxi Drivers as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Racist comments ? Such as ???

You didn't bother to report to LTA ?

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:54 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Racist comments ? Such as ???

You didn't bother to report to LTA ?[/quote]

Some people complained to the police and police took care of it. Others did nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 1:57 pm

gayan1991 wrote:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Racist comments ? Such as ???

You didn't bother to report to LTA ?[/quote]

Some people complained to the police and police took care of it. Others did nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Why didn't they call LTA ?

Calling police will not get you too far, unless there was physical assault, and you have recorded the insults etc.

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:06 pm

Thanks for the information. Never tried before. How do they proceed the complain?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:13 pm

gayan1991 wrote:Thanks for the information. Never tried before. How do they proceed the complain?


Unless you provoked the driver, you should report the case, by calling 1800-call-lta (1-800–2255-582)

What do you mean how they proceed ? They are not going to pick the driver and beat him to death.

TA welcomes your feedback as a taxi passenger. If you have comments on a recent taxi experience, please share them with us through our online feedback form. Please have on hand the taxi’s plate number, the name of the taxi company, and the date and time of your journey.

Contact us at 1800-CALL-LTA (1800-2255-582). Depending on the nature of the complaint or feedback, LTA will follow up with an investigation or refer it to the taxi company, in accordance with the LTA's disciplinary system for taxi drivers. Details can be found in the Vocational Licensing Points System handbook.


https://www.lta.gov.sg/feedback/

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:16 pm

No what I meant by proceed, reports and stuff cause one time one of my Friend found a wallet and return it to the police. And the next day he was disturbed many times because reports and calls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:32 pm

gayan1991 wrote:No what I meant by proceed, reports and stuff cause one time one of my Friend found a wallet and return it to the police. And the next day he was disturbed many times because reports and calls.


I don't understand what you are saying now.

If you don't want the hassle, don't complain, suck it up.

If you want to see resolution, do what they ask you to do, i.e. attend to their calls, maybe turn up for a face to face interview.

About the wallet, what's your friend's beef ? He regrets returning the wallet ? Where did he find it ? And if you want to be a law abiding resident, what's wrong with assisting the police, unless your friend is not revealing the full story.

Yes, I know, it is always a friend of a friend who was in trouble for being law abiding.

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 2:38 pm

It's not obeying the law and helping people. It's about keep disturbing wherever and whenever, all day all night. But anyway thanks for the earlier information.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 3:48 pm

gayan1991 wrote:It's not obeying the law and helping people. It's about keep disturbing wherever and whenever, all day all night. But anyway thanks for the earlier information.


oh, I get it, you mean police harassed you ? seriously ? Do you have proof or you are just making up based on a friend's friend's tall tale ?

How does it work back home ? Just curious. Do cops treat you courteously like in Singapore ?

Never mind, don't answer

User avatar
gayan1991
Regular
Regular
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun, 14 Feb 2016

Re: bad taxi experience

Postby gayan1991 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 3:58 pm

I do not undermine what the police in Singapore are doing and they are doing fine but what I said for every small things, you are being contacted. Moreover, if you think keep calling is nothing but a harassment, then I don't know what to say. This is a rhetorical question, if your boss calls and ask for every little thing, would you call that a harassment as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest