Singapore Expats Forum

Marital Status for REP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
atchean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 20 Mar 2016

Marital Status for REP

Postby atchean » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 6:37 pm

Hello Everyone

Would like to seek some advice from anyone with the same case or have similar experience to me.

I'm a Malaysian Chinese and my PR Application has been approved last week and I am in the midst of collecting the supporting documents to complete my application.

My problem is, when I applied for it, I applied as a single applicant, however I recently got Married back in Malaysia, So I am wondering if I should declare my change in marital status in my REP?

My wife has also applied for the PR as a Single and awaiting results, would my declaration affect her application?

Thanks very much in advance for any of your help!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Marital Status for REP

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:12 pm

atchean wrote:Thanks very much in advance for any of your help!


You need to notify ICA ... If nothing, at least to get note tax credits as married means, less taxes.

As for your wife's application, it would be proper to inform ICA, but when you notify ICA, you can include her Fin #, so ICA will update the records.

You got married in Singapore or Malaysia?

atchean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 20 Mar 2016

Re: Marital Status for REP

Postby atchean » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks Ecureilx for your quick response..

I got married in Malaysia.

Out of curiosity would there be a chance they could ask me to reapply again as married instead?

Cheers

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Marital Status for REP

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:34 pm

atchean wrote:
Out of curiosity would there be a chance they could ask me to reapply again as married instead?

Cheers


I doubt it. No clue and haven't heard of ICA asking to reapply because marital status changed.

atchean
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun, 20 Mar 2016

Re: Marital Status for REP

Postby atchean » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 7:49 pm

thanks very much for your advice..

Will share my outcome once I have processed everything and hopefully would benefit others who are in the same boat too.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: RE: Marital Status for REP

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 8:42 pm

ecureilx wrote:
atchean wrote:Thanks very much in advance for any of your help!


You need to notify ICA ... If nothing, at least to get note tax credits as married means, less taxes.

As for your wife's application, it would be proper to inform ICA, but when you notify ICA, you can include her Fin #, so ICA will update the records.

You got married in Singapore or Malaysia?


Am I missing something here? How will being married help to get tax credits if she is also working and filing her own tax return? If she was single and also applying for PR as a single person, it pretty much means she has been employed for some time in SG. The tax rates are the same.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Marital Status for REP

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2016 11:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Am I missing something here? How will being married help to get tax credits if she is also working and filing her own tax return? If she was single and also applying for PR as a single person, it pretty much means she has been employed for some time in SG. The tax rates are the same.


The earned income dropped when the status changed to married. Let me look up the fine print tomorrow ;)

By the way, wasn't it compulsory for Ep holders to notify MOM when there is change of status ? That's what OP was asking.

PS, edited : SMS is correct !!!!

o claim this relief, you must satisfy these conditions:

Your spouse is living with or is supported by you; and
Your spouse does not have an annual income* exceeding $4,000 in the previous year. This condition does not apply to handicapped spouses.


As for change of status, from MOM:

You need to inform us of changes in personal particulars, such as marital status and passport details (e.g. passport number, name or date of issue).

To update the details, complete the Request Form for Amendment of Personal Particulars and submit it through iSubmit, along with the supporting documents mentioned in the form.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest