Singapore Expats

SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
nakatago

Re: SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 6:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:...they are not going to overcome that swarm of hornets it is ever came to that...let the bulldog mouth overload their hummingbird arses once too often. It's like the fence sitting game they are always trying to play. eventually they are going to get called out and they will be facing a lose-lose situation then...

I haven't been keeping up with the metaphors... :shock:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: RE: Re: SG citizen by descent; NS defaulter?

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 11:15 am

taxico wrote:none of the above is realistic without knowing what the young man will become.
It's Bliss555's son's chosen reality, so of course it's "realistic." Bliss555's son can lead a full and happy life in the United States. It is possible, even very possible. Singapore is avoidable. Most of the world's airplanes don't even fly close to Singapore. The degree of inconvenience and awkwardness is hard to predict, but a U.S. citizen's NS evasion just isn't at all like a medical diagnosis of pancreatic cancer (for example). His situation is not nearly as limited as the situations Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, and Roman Polanski find themselves in, to pick three examples. For perspective, a majority of U.S. citizens don't even have passports. I'm quite sure they have no problem avoiding Singapore.

Don't get confused here, though. I am certainly not recommending evading NS. But if that's what Bliss555's U.S. citizen son wants to do, then we should be (to borrow your word) realistic about what that means. There are some disadvantages if you're an NS evader, true. He won't be enjoying the excellent in-flight service and cuisine aboard Singapore Airlines too often, for example. But it's certainly not the end of his world.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 1:52 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
taxico wrote:none of the above is realistic without knowing what the young man will become.
It's Bliss555's son's chosen reality, so of course it's "realistic." Bliss555's son can lead a full and happy life in the United States. It is possible, even very possible. Singapore is avoidable.
It's like an unmarked, huge hole in the road pretty near your house. You know is there and have to remember each time you plan to drive. If you forget, the consequences can be catastrophic. Depending on your job and lifestyle it can be a heavy burden.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 2:49 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:There are some disadvantages if you're an NS evader, true. He won't be enjoying the excellent in-flight service and cuisine aboard Singapore Airlines too often, for example. But it's certainly not the end of his world.
I am sure it's not about the in flight service (and bless me, I never figured out how in flight meals can be tops, especially if you eat them on the ground and realise how at altitude, everything seems magically great .. ).

FYI, SG owns assets in a lot of places outside Singapore.

He may end up working for one of them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 3:32 pm

FYI Airline Food.

Singapore airlines has a special pressure chamber in the SATS facility which has a simulated aircraft cabin at their in-flight catering centre at Singapore Changi Airport, where meals are cooked and tested under low-pressure conditions. It enables them to replicate the conditions of a flight at 35,000 feet and they develop many in-flight dishes based on their findings.

Apparently saltiness and sweetness are the first two sensations we lose at altitude and low humidity (normally around 12% in the cabin). Most spices remain the same however. So if you eat airline foods after you have landed it really tastes like crap.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SalehaTeo

Post by SalehaTeo » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 4:47 pm

Just for an update,

My boyfriend received a letter from ICA stating that he would be deferred from NS upon the understanding that he would renounce his Singapore Citizenship when he turns 21!!

Is it okay to travel to SG in the process of renunciation?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 5:19 pm

SalehaTeo wrote:Just for an update,

My boyfriend received a letter from ICA stating that he would be deferred from NS upon the understanding that he would renounce his Singapore Citizenship when he turns 21!!

Is it okay to travel to SG in the process of renunciation?
Don't shoot me for saying this, but I believe he needs to clear that from Mindef too ...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 5:42 pm

Nah, he's good to go. ICA would have already cleared this with Mindef/CMPB before sending the letter.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 6:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, he's good to go. ICA would have already cleared this with Mindef/CMPB before sending the letter.
:) So they do talk to each other more now ? Nice to know that !! (no thumbs up icon yet .. )

So can he travel to Singapore in the meantime ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2016 7:46 pm

I would certainly think so. Did you bother to read the OP of the thread's 1 page plus? He's good to go as well. We weren't sure so I advised him to get back in touch with Mindef/CMPB to confirm. They told him he was good to go, which confirms MOM had been in touch with them. I see no problems.

However, if the poster isn't comfortable, then he should call Mindef and confirm it. If he does, hopefully, like the OP of this thread, come back and let us know so it can be (for your pseudo-local sake "double-confirmed") :devil: :mrgreen:

Salmonella

Post by Salmonella » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 7:12 pm

Hi,

I have a question specifically for the user the Mad Scientist about my son's citizenship by descent situation.

My son is 8 years old, was born overseas and always lived overseas (will do so permanently). I applied for singapore citizenship by descent shortly after he was born. His mother is a foreign national.

My understanding is that if he remains overseas with me and my family until he is 22, never holds a NRIC or SG passport, or visits Singapore at all, then at the age of 22 the ICA will inform him that he is no longer a citizen or needs to renounce ? Once renounced, i assume he will not be considered a NS defaulter ?

There is a lot of misinformation in these threads and from information I am seeking. Does he need to inform Mindef and apply exit permits and all that including smth about a bond ? Any clear instruction to me is appreciated Mad Scientist which i will follow exactly.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 06 Aug 2016 6:55 am

Please my reply

Salmonella wrote:Hi,

I have a question specifically for the user the Mad Scientist about my son's citizenship by descent situation.

My son is 8 years old, was born overseas and always lived overseas (will do so permanently). I applied for singapore citizenship by descent shortly after he was born. His mother is a foreign national.

He is a Singaporean by descent and it supersedes his foreign nationality until the age of 21 where he has to renounce either one citizenship

My understanding is that if he remains overseas with me and my family until he is 22, never holds a NRIC or SG passport, or visits Singapore at all, then at the age of 22 the ICA will inform him that he is no longer a citizen or needs to renounce ?

Incorrect, since he has already acquired SG citizenship by descent he has to follow the protocol of getting exit permit at the turn of 13 so that he is allowed to stay out of SG for a period of less than 2 yrs without having to imposing any bonds on you. then on, contact CMPB/Mindef to inform them your intention to renounce his SG citizenship at 21.
Mindef/ CMPB will sent a set of documents for your to filled up and returned to them
It will take about 2 months for the process once it is received by Mindef
Once accepted and if accepted to renounce at 21, CMPB will provide you another exit permit till 16 then once more till 21 once you registered him for NS as a formality at 16 .
Once at 21 then you can go to any Singapore Mission to renounce within 3 months he turn 21.

Once renounced, i assume he will not be considered a NS defaulter ?

Nope, once you follow this steps you will be good.

There is a lot of misinformation in these threads and from information I am seeking.

Does he need to inform Mindef and apply exit permits and all that including smth about a bond ? Any clear instruction to me is appreciated Mad Scientist which i will follow exactly.
Read above reply. Bonds only required if you want your son to serve NS but wants him to complete his formal education not tertiary. You apply at one application for stay out of SG for a year and 364 days which is less than 2yrs and it will not attracts any bonds.

OK, I am tired now
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!