Singapore Expats Forum

fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Post Reply
Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 2:16 pm

fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 4:18 pm

Musing about "doing the right thing" vis-a-vis an overheard conversation where erroneous information is being passed on. What is the socially acceptable etiquette in this case? It is none of my business, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but its a public place and the subject matter is something i know about, and it's outright wrong, as wrong as describing how similar a mole on the buttocks is to the Eiffel tower.

As much as it is rude to intrude, i do feel in this age where misinformation spreads far quicker than truth that it is everyone's responsibility to arrest this infestation wherever one encounters it.

Say ye yea or nay?

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 392
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 8:06 am
Location: Singapore

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by bro75 » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 4:21 pm

I wouldn't.

But what was the topic anyway?

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 2:16 pm

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 4:26 pm

Its something about software development methodology. They look like they're having an informal interview to me.
bro75 wrote:I wouldn't.

But what was the topic anyway?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 5:22 pm
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 4:34 pm

Get your phone out ... Have a pretend phone call about the subject matter , loud enough so they can hear :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 2:16 pm

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by Sporkin » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 4:38 pm

Lol great idea!
Barnsley wrote:Get your phone out ... Have a pretend phone call about the subject matter , loud enough so they can hear :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9386
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by x9200 » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 5:10 pm

Sporkin wrote:Musing about "doing the right thing" vis-a-vis an overheard conversation where erroneous information is being passed on. What is the socially acceptable etiquette in this case? It is none of my business, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but its a public place and the subject matter is something i know about, and it's outright wrong, as wrong as describing how similar a mole on the buttocks is to the Eiffel tower.

As much as it is rude to intrude, i do feel in this age where misinformation spreads far quicker than truth that it is everyone's responsibility to arrest this infestation wherever one encounters it.

Say ye yea or nay?
IMHO it's up to you. "I am sorry, but I couldn't help and overheard a part of your conversation....". I think this would be polite enough. And than you may hear a response that this is not your *beeeeeeeeep* business and you will learn to stay away for some time. Or your comment will be appreciated and you will like it. Or many shades of responses in between. It's a complex situation and if you don't like to take risk than don't do it.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6361
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 6:33 pm

Just roll your eyes at the passive listener who is being BS'd and see if he/she rolls his/hers back at you in acknowledgement. Like a masonic handshake.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: fighting the urge to correct that which is wrong

Post by JR8 » Fri, 18 Mar 2016 7:46 pm

Sporkin wrote:Its something about software development methodology. They look like they're having an informal interview to me.
Formal conversations are more than just exchanges of base information, they're almost always reinforcements of relative social position. There is an unspoken but mutually recognised script as to how they usually play-out. That clearly applies in the circumstances of a job interview.

So as a by-stander you have no place within that 'game' [x-ref for example the behavioural psychology book: 'Games people play']. If you were to interrupt to correct the dominant party in the conversation, and publicly correct him that would belittle his relative position and hence certainly not be welcome.

[Apols - this is deep to the 3rd-espresso level man lol]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Post Reply


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest