Singapore Expats

PR cancellation for sponsor category?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ferrerohoney

PR cancellation for sponsor category?

Post by ferrerohoney » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 12:00 am

Hi All,

i have few questions regarding PR cancellation. hopefully you guys could help me with the answer :

1. Me and my wife are holding Singapore PR currently. When my wife got her PR, i applied it under 'sponsor of PR' category. Now my wife is not staying in SG anymore and I'm planning to leave Singapore soon as well.
When i visit ICA to surrender my PR, will her PR automatically cancelled too? does she need to present at ICA to cancel her PR ?

2. Upon PR cancellation, i will be issued with 1 month social visit visa.
assuming my last working day is 31th, is it possible to cancel my PR 14 days before ?

3. I heard that when you declare leaving the country, IRAS will instruct my company to withhold my last month's salary until the Tax Clearance has been computed and the employer has paid same and deducted it from my withheld salary. That means i will received my last month's salary few months later.
Is there anyway to avoid this? perhaps there is something that i can do in advance to prevent my salary being withhold?

Thanks a lot!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: PR cancellation for sponsor category?

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 8:07 am

I would take break after your employment is finished (maybe a week) to cancel PR, clean up IRAS and claim CPF and cancel bank accounts etc. That way you can leave completely clean.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR cancellation for sponsor category?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 8:43 am

I never knew any employer who held back pay of PR. Unless the employer is blur, for PR/SC tax obligations never haunt the employer.

Then again, if the employer is spiteful they can think of a dozen reasons to hold the last month pay.

Btw, if you didn't clear the tax, your CPF maybe held back, all of it.

You do have CPF balance right ?

About the cancellation of PR, if you cancel and switch to SvP, you aren't allowed to work on SvP.

Quite an illegal thing that would be if you work on SVP.

There is no automatic cancellation of your Wife's PR. She has to do it properly, again, if she wants to see her CPF.

Just curious, since you are planning to the last date, where are you from ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR cancellation for sponsor category?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:28 am

By law, if the Employer is aware that the PR is leaving the country for good, it is their responsibility to file the IR-21 for the PR as well unless they have an MOU on file.

https://www.iras.gov.sg/IRASHome/Busine ... Employees/
When Tax Clearance Is Not Required
Tax clearance is not required for the following categories of employees/scenario. If your employees fall under these categories/scenarios, you do not need to complete Form IR21 but you must submit the employee's income details to IRAS using Form IR8A or through the Auto Inclusion Scheme by 1st Mar:

Singapore Citizens
Singapore Permanent Residents (SPR)

If your employee is an SPR who is not leaving Singapore permanently after he or she stops working for you, you may obtain a Letter of Undertaking (LOU) from the employee stating that he or she will not leave Singapore permanently.

With the LOU, you are not required to seek tax clearance for the employee. Please keep the LOU for your record.

This concession, however, does not apply to overseas postings and employment. When an SPR employee leaves Singapore for an overseas posting or employment, you are required to seek tax clearance for the employee.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers