Singapore Expats

Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Whiteknigh666

Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by Whiteknigh666 » Sun, 01 May 2016 8:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't know, this 'merikan saw the punch coming 30+ year ago. Been here 34 & counting! ;-)

30-+ years back makes you a very far sighted man. In the 1980s Singapore was lagging way behind when compared to Merika.

I grew up in the 80s and I that era, the Merikan culture from TV and magazines.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 May 2016 12:15 am

Whiteknigh666, I was nearing 40 when I came to Singapore. My two kids, both born here, took Mandarin as their second language, (much to my relatives dismay - thought I was mean). But my kids have thanked me for that farsightedness a 1000x if they've thanked me once. I didn't "grow up" during that period (the first time I came to Singapore was as a 20 year old in 1967). I've already passed retirement age, but haven't retired yet. Singapore was NOT lagging far behind. IN fact their Math and Science scores were already beating anything US Public schools were putting out when my daughter was born in '83. It was only a half a dozen years later when the MRT trains started running and you must have been in short pants in the 80's, as you don't look to be over 36. Oh and congratulations. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by Brah » Mon, 02 May 2016 10:33 am

scottialex wrote:. I'm optimistic by nature and looking at my options, the US is in a really bad shape and this is only the beginning, it's going to get heck of a lot worse and Asia is the new future; I'm not the type to stay still while I see a punch coming my way...
Interesting comment, we have threads on this forum to suggest things are other than that. That is, that Singapore is ramping down in some areas and the US more stable.

Having said that, it is shaping up to be a challenging 1-2-3 years globally, not unlike 2008-2009.

As one personally invested in this view, would be good to hear you elaborate more on this scottialex, in this forum, which would benefit you to read as well: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110387
Last edited by Brah on Tue, 03 May 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

scottialex

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by scottialex » Mon, 02 May 2016 11:51 pm

Brah wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
scottialex wrote:. I'm optimistic by nature and looking at my options, the US is in a really bad shape and this is only the beginning, it's going to get heck of a lot worse and Asia is the new future; I'm not the type to stay still while I see a punch coming my way...
The Merikans aren't gonna be happy about that quote of yours.Image
Interesting comment, we have threads on this forum to suggest things are other than that. That is, that Singapore is ramping down in some areas and the US more stable.

Having said that, it is shaping up to be a challenging 1-2-3 years globally, not unlike 2008-2009.

As one personally invested in this view, would be good to hear you elaborate more on this scottialex, in this forum, which would benefit you to read as well: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewtopic.php?t=110387

I checked that topic about "Everyone I know is leaving" but I find it to be all general talk without any specificity. Everyone's case is different.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 03 May 2016 9:46 am

scottialex wrote: I checked that topic about "Everyone I know is leaving" but I find it to be all general talk without any specificity. Everyone's case is different.
Perhaps you should read it again, it is far from general.

Some specific areas are Banking and other IT roles - they are leaving or have already left, as are many other banking and technology jobs.

Everyone's case is indeed different.

Your information could well be stale - it has changed in the past 10-12 years. Also depends on your definition of Asia, and if you are talking specifically about Singapore.

Asia was a growth area, and in some cases and industries, still is. Some of us on this forum been here a long time and are intimately associated with this.

You said:
scottialex wrote:the US is in a really bad shape and this is only the beginning...
...and were asked to elaborate.

Some of us are seeing jobs leave Singapore and other places in Asia, and them moving or returning to the US.

Your perspective on this could prove valuable to the people on this forum and those responding to you.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.