Singapore Expats

Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
scottialex

Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 9:04 am

Hi everyone, I'm planning on moving to Singapore, initially just for a month for the first time then hopefully permanently. I have some clients here in NYC that will require me to do daily join.me online meetings where web developers take control over each other's computers including mouse and keyboard control and we work on developing code on each other's computers.

My only concern is that even though Singapore offers 2Gbps internet, here in NYC the standard is about 300Mbps and only Verizon FIOS offers 1Gbps internet but it is not available everywhere in NYC plus the long physical distance makes me wonder if any connection speed would be fast enough to allow a smooth control of another person's computer/mouse.

So all that being said, I'm looking for volunteers that currently have at least 1Gbps internet connection that will be willing to do an online session with me where we both will gain control of the other person's keyboard and mouse and test if it's possible to work smoothly.

I use join.me app and we'll be sharing the screen and talking through the app (no web cam needed).

I totally understand that many of you will find this too risky but if you've used join.me before then you know there's no risk involved, it's like using Webex or Skype. We can also first do a Skype session so we get to know each other better before sharing the screen/mouse/keyboard.

Also, if you already use any other app for this type of online sessions then I am willing to try your app as well.

This is a very important issue for me and the only issue standing before I get on a plane to SG :-) I really, really appreciate your help!!

Thank you very much in advance!

My FB profile is: https://www.facebook.com/scottialejandro

Alejandro Scotti
Phone # 347.624.2110

x9200

Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 9:32 am

Alejandro, I can not help you with your main problem, but I wonder, what is the base of your hopes to move to Singapore permanently. Are you married to a Singaporean or Singapore PR?

scottialex

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 9:45 am

My immediate plan is to open my own business and bring to Singapore about U$D 80,000 yr in sales and give myself a work visa... does this make sense? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:08 am

Just my 2 cents,

I've tried 16,000 km with Windows (7 and Server 2012) Remote Desktop though admittedly not gigabit connections. It's slow but things are passable. You can type at a comfortable (not glacial, but not also not insanely fast) pace and you won't use your mouse like a South Korean StarCraft champion would.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:21 am

scottialex wrote:My immediate plan is to open my own business and bring to Singapore about U$D 80,000 yr in sales and give myself a work visa... does this make sense? Thank you.
In principle yes, but I would have some worries as of the nature of your business. It's simply something relatively common. If you were looking for an employment just based on your background, even with substantial experience, for a web developer, I reckon the chances may not be high enough to grant you a pass. If you create a business to apply for yourself for an EP, I don't know. If I were the gov, I would see it as a way to circumvent the Entrepass scheme, but I could be wrong.

scottialex

Re: RE: Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:25 am

x9200 wrote:
scottialex wrote:My immediate plan is to open my own business and bring to Singapore about U$D 80,000 yr in sales and give myself a work visa... does this make sense? Thank you.
In principle yes, but I would have some worries as of the nature of your business. It's simply something relatively common. If you were looking for an employment just based on your background, even with substantial experience, for a web developer, I reckon the chances may not be high enough to grant you a pass. If you create a business to apply for yourself for an EP, I don't know. If I were the gov, I would see it as a way to circumvent the Entrepass scheme, but I could be wrong.
This was the advice of a friend who's followed the same path. If I'm bringing investment to the country then wouldn't that be a good thing for Singapore?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:34 am

scottialex wrote:
x9200 wrote:
This was the advice of a friend who's followed the same path. If I'm bringing investment to the country then wouldn't that be a good thing for Singapore?
Singapore isn't really friendly to small businesses, at least foreign tech "startups."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:37 am

scottialex wrote:This was the advice of a friend who's followed the same path. If I'm bringing investment to the country then wouldn't that be a good thing for Singapore?
Depends. 80k are peanuts and you will be competing against some local guy who may earn even higher annual wage from an MNC for example. Entrepass on the other hand aims not only at the capital transfer but also at creation of new jobs. When did it happen with your friend? Recently? Same job area?

scottialex

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:46 am

He clearly has more money but as far as know he only hired 1 person. You make sense and I will do some more research on that area. I'm also considering looking for a job at a company there but that is also not an easy task. Nothing wi be easy for me but it's not the first time I'm migrating and at the end of the day I'm sure I'll find a legal way to stay in Singapore if I'm happy there...

scottialex

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:48 am

He's in the investment business, some type of hedge fund management and his on his own, not part of a corporation

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:53 am

Just to clarify: I am not trying to discourage you but just manage a bit your expectations. Some few years back it was relatively easy even for the Entrepass scheme but since, everything got very tightened. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but don't have too high hopes and have a plan B. Don't burn any bridges behind before you have it all secured.

scottialex

Post by scottialex » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 1:18 pm

x9200 wrote:Just to clarify: I am not trying to discourage you but just manage a bit your expectations. Some few years back it was relatively easy even for the Entrepass scheme but since, everything got very tightened. It doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but don't have too high hopes and have a plan B. Don't burn any bridges behind before you have it all secured.
I definitely don't take your advice as negativity, on the contrary, it's not the first time I'm dealing with immigration and I'm fully aware that's always harder and it takes longer than initially planned. I'm optimistic by nature and looking at my options, the US is in a really bad shape and this is only the beginning, it's going to get heck of a lot worse and Asia is the new future; I'm not the type to stay still while I see a punch coming my way...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Need a volunteer in Singapore for a NYC/Singapore join.me test

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 4:24 pm

scottialex wrote:. I'm optimistic by nature and looking at my options, the US is in a really bad shape and this is only the beginning, it's going to get heck of a lot worse and Asia is the new future; I'm not the type to stay still while I see a punch coming my way...
The Merikans aren't gonna be happy about that quote of yours.Image

:o

Back to bandwidth, we do multi party con calls in our SOHO office, never had any lags. In fact our Aussie counterpart was the one with the slowest net.

So, unless you plan to remotely do key hole surgery or operate a reaper drone via the net you will so good here.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 5:13 pm

I don't know, this 'merikan saw the punch coming 30+ year ago. Been here 34 & counting! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 5:18 pm

Last Sept, I did our whole company payroll run using TeamViewer (the free version), from MD and FL in the US, linked to my office PC and on to the Payroll Server. While it wasn't the fastest it was reasonably do-able and didn't have any glitchs at all. Don't know if Team Viewer has the ability to do two way transfers but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, especially if you are running dual monitors like I do on my Office PC. I was using a 15" notebook in the office so I was hampered by not a lot of screen real estate but as I said, it was do-able.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers