Singapore Expats

Please Advise

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
arubz32

Please Advise

Post by arubz32 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 7:37 pm

Hi, a quick question as I want to help my friend relax.

Long story short, we were out last night and jokingly when we were leaving the bar my friend took the wrist stamp they use when people pay cover because he was drunk and thought it would be funny to stamp my head with it. He walked out with the stamp and no one said anything and threw it out when he go bored of it.

He woke up this morning and is terrified that he was likely on camera doing this and worried the bar will report this and the police track him down. I'm trying to get him to relax. But, does anyone here work at a bar? Will the bar manager bother trying to report this and fine him over a stamp they likely change nightly? What kind of punishment can he face if they do try to find him? Should he go back to the bar tell them he was being drunk and stupid and offer to pay to replace the stamp?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

nakatago

Re: Please Advise

Post by nakatago » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 7:42 pm

arubz32 wrote:Hi, a quick question as I want to help my friend relax.

Long story short, we were out last night and jokingly when we were leaving the bar my friend took the wrist stamp they use when people pay cover because he was drunk and thought it would be funny to stamp my head with it. He walked out with the stamp and no one said anything and threw it out when he go bored of it.

He woke up this morning and is terrified that he was likely on camera doing this and worried the bar will report this and the police track him down. I'm trying to get him to relax. But, does anyone here work at a bar? Will the bar manager bother trying to report this and fine him over a stamp they likely change nightly? What kind of punishment can he face if they do try to find him? Should he go back to the bar tell them he was being drunk and stupid and offer to pay to replace the stamp?

Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Yeah.....but they're more likely to think that it simply got lost because Saturday is a busy time and lots of people get drunk. It is also just as likely the manager will just think of getting a new stamp (because that's faster and doesn't involve thinking too much) instead of going full police procedural to find out where the stamp went.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Please Advise

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:18 pm

nakatago wrote: Yeah.....but they're more likely to think that it simply got lost because Saturday is a busy time and lots of people get drunk. It is also just as likely the manager will just think of getting a new stamp (because that's faster and doesn't involve thinking too much) instead of going full police procedural to find out where the stamp went.
And some bar managers will fine the person who was supposed to be in charge of the stamp. In which case, it won't be a case of paying back. People in some bars get fired for lesser infractions.

And the stamp man's gonna diligently view the CCTV and print the thief's photo and put it on the ban list. And maybe report to police... Image Image Image

Stealing property as a joke? Well, OP need to learn , it isn't a joke in Singapore
Last edited by ecureilx on Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Please Advise

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:21 pm

arubz32 wrote:Hi, a quick question as I want to help my friend relax.
The stamp generally aren't expensive, less than 5$, but depending on the bar, it maybe one of those expensive custom stamps. Good luck.

Which bar was it ?

You and your friend are locals / residents in Singapore?

arubz32

Post by arubz32 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:34 pm

Yes it is understood that it is stupid. He was drunk and thought it would be funny to stamp someones face and then just didn't register when he walked out with it.

It was some club in Clarke Quay. He is expat from UK. If they report it, would this likely result in a stiff fine? Or would someone go to jail for something like this. Understand it is serious, but working professional with no record to speak of so is it likely just a fine or warning?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:53 pm

arubz32 wrote: It was some club in Clarke Quay. He is expat from UK.
If he has been in Singapore for a while he should know not many locals consider pilfering, even small stuff - as a joke.

Who knows, on his next visit there - he may held by angry security who's job may have been threatened by this joke, cops called .. and after everything, be just let off with a warning ...... nobody gets jailed or caned over a 10$ or cheaper stamp.

Or .......

Simply forgotten, as the bar may be very immune to drunk Brits stealing stuff for fun.

Who knows. He should go to the same bar and find out himself.

This "friend" wasn't you right ? ;)

Just hope he doesn't make it to ASS or STR and such online gossip sites. That maybe career threatening Image Image Image

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 9:54 am

arubz32 wrote:...
So did your friend man up and show he is a man, or decided to be a jerk ?? :D :D

Or even worse, has destroyed the rice bowl of the poor stamp guy ? :-k :-k :-k

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:21 am

To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

singaporeexexpat

Post by singaporeexexpat » Mon, 04 Apr 2016 8:02 pm

BE CAREFUL!!!

Tell your friend NOT to go back to that bar any time soon. I had my visa revoked a few months ago because I took a few plastic forks and a bunch of napkins from the Golden Mile Food Centre (loved that place...) and, after I kept going back there to eat, a woman who owns a stall there reported me, cited CCTV and pressed charges...

As long as he doesn't go back to that bar though he should be fine.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 04 Apr 2016 8:10 pm

singaporeexexpat wrote:BE CAREFUL!!!

Tell your friend NOT to go back to that bar any time soon. I had my visa revoked a few months ago because I took a few plastic forks and a bunch of napkins from the Golden Mile Food Centre (loved that place...) and, after I kept going back there to eat, a woman who owns a stall there reported me, cited CCTV and pressed charges...

Make sure you post an absolutely SCATHING review on tripadviser/hungrygowhere/chope etc....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 04 Apr 2016 8:43 pm

Image Image Image Image Image

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Apr 2016 8:47 pm

You loved that place so much you decided to have a piece of it for your own. Yes, the world is full of stall owners pressing charges for a few plastic forks and a bunch of napkins. We all have to be very careful and your post probably saved few regulars from being jailed or canned.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 05 Apr 2016 7:58 pm

x9200 wrote:You loved that place so much you decided to have a piece of it for your own. Yes, the world is full of stall owners pressing charges for a few plastic forks and a bunch of napkins. We all have to be very careful and your post probably saved few regulars from being jailed or canned.
you didn't hear this from me, but Raffles Hotel is implementing RFID tags in the coasters, as tourists have been seen to swipe the Raffles Hotel Coasters as souveniers .. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: