Singapore Expats

Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
BQOI

Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by BQOI » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 6:54 am

We are considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic 'tween and a teen with language-based learning disabilities. Our younger son is low/moderate functioning -- emerging verbal, good daily living skills, seeks interaction. Our older son has OCD and is easily distracted Both boys attend special schools in an urban environment and receive speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy (younger son) and counseling (older son). What sort of offerings would be available in Singapore for our children? The teen could potentially be educated in a mainstream environment with heavy remedial tutoring, but are very concerned about our younger son. Also -- we believe our children should be out in their community -- how would Singaporeans react to an autistic child who sometimes acts our or makes noises? Are there schools available? If so, how realistic is it for someone to actually get into one of those schools (i.e., how long is the waiting list)? Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.

x9200

Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:35 am

BQOI wrote:We are considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic 'tween and a teen with language-based learning disabilities. Our younger son is low/moderate functioning -- emerging verbal, good daily living skills, seeks interaction. Our older son has OCD and is easily distracted Both boys attend special schools in an urban environment and receive speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy (younger son) and counseling (older son). What sort of offerings would be available in Singapore for our children? The teen could potentially be educated in a mainstream environment with heavy remedial tutoring, but are very concerned about our younger son. Also -- we believe our children should be out in their community -- how would Singaporeans react to an autistic child who sometimes acts our or makes noises? Are there schools available? If so, how realistic is it for someone to actually get into one of those schools (i.e., how long is the waiting list)? Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 7&t=105725

Generally: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/search ... mit=Search
and browse some older topics too.

I would STRONGLY discourage you to make the move.

As for the underlined part, they will stare at him or may even act aggressively towards the caregiver.

BQOI

Post by BQOI » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:26 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Could you provide more details as to why you would strongly discourage the move?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:33 pm

BQOI wrote:Are there schools available? If so, how realistic is it for someone to actually get into one of those schools (i.e., how long is the waiting list)? Any guidance you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
One of the local MP is a strong supporter of Autism Research and has been making great headway ...

Google Autism Research Center.

Let me give you more resources later.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:45 pm

BQOI wrote:Thank you for your quick response. Could you provide more details as to why you would strongly discourage the move?
You even didn't bother to read the threads I pointed up to you. Just not bothering to use search engine is relatively common, but failing to read what is literally served for you on a plate is a rare class. Congratulations.

BQOI

Post by BQOI » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 12:50 pm

Actually, I did read the posts. But -- some of them are rather old and I was wondering whether you had new or additional information to share, or whether the situation may have changed. Sorry if my question offended you.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 1:15 pm

This is what I wrote one year ago:
Don't move to Singapore. Seriously. My wife is an ST predominantly working with children on the spectrum and she says there is nothing in Singapore that could compare to the complex and good ASD oriented support system you have in the States.

Nothing has changed since then. In Singapore you can get some support if your kids require for example ABA, but anything more sophisticated like DIR/Floortime, just forget about it. Very few therapeutists trained and generally most of therapists in Singapore are very mechanistic in their approaches. Nothing out of box, squeeze the kid in what they know without any reflection.

BQOI

Post by BQOI » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks. Very helpful (but depressing). You also mentioned in your first post that people might act aggressively toward a caregiver who was managing an autistic child who was acting out -- by aggressive, do you mean intervene or stop the caregiver (or worse)? Also, would we need to be concerned about apartment building management?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 1:42 pm

Sorry, I should have probably explained it a bit further. Nothing will go beyond verbal aggression I believe, with most common being persistent starring or at most some angry looks. This is not really any serious problem just the society is not really tolerant to anything that is somehow different.

It is a matter of last few-years/decade that things slowly started to improve (I mean as the whole not just the society) but it has still some long way to go. A decade ago, the gov acted like they pretended the problem of people with this sort of problems didn't exist. Now, they at least acknowledge it and try to do something.

No, no problems in condos and such.

The main problem in Singapore is a quality support.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 3:27 pm

To give this some context. The founder of modern Singapore had to change the rules to get his challenged grandson into a foreign school here so the poor kid would get some assistance. I have a close friend who has a very autistic son, all they can do is hire a maid to help provide care. Nothing is available for such a severe case.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 9:26 pm

PNGMK wrote: I have a close friend who has a very autistic son, all they can do is hire a maid to help provide care. Nothing is available for such a severe case.
Ma'am Denise Phua has been helping change policies, especially for those who have Autistic children.... things are changing. And more support measures are on the way.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: RE: Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 6:59 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote: I have a close friend who has a very autistic son, all they can do is hire a maid to help provide care. Nothing is available for such a severe case.
Ma'am Denise Phua has been helping change policies, especially for those who have Autistic children.... things are changing. And more support measures are on the way.
The fortunate thing is that the younger generation of parents are not so apt just to shove them in homes or let them 'accidentally' fall out of the HDB windows as the older generation PLUS they're vocal about needing government support AND the rising number of Autistic childen cannot be ignored.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 7:58 am

PNGMK wrote: The fortunate thing is that the younger generation of parents are not so apt just to shove them in homes or let them 'accidentally' fall out of the HDB windows as the older generation PLUS they're vocal about needing government support AND the rising number of Autistic childen cannot be ignored.
Do you think the rise of Autistic kids here is related to the social engineering / selective breeding that was encouraged in the past ? Idle thought ...

nakatago

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Considering a move from the US to Singapore with an autistic child

Post by nakatago » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 8:01 am

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote: The fortunate thing is that the younger generation of parents are not so apt just to shove them in homes or let them 'accidentally' fall out of the HDB windows as the older generation PLUS they're vocal about needing government support AND the rising number of Autistic childen cannot be ignored.
Do you think the rise of Autistic kids here is related to the social engineering / selective breeding that was encouraged in the past ? Idle thought ...
Or simply it's reported more because either people identify it now or admit that it's there.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 8:28 am

Nak, I was thinking the same thing. I thought the incidence of western expats coming here were starting to show higher numbers (3 decades of watching here), but now I wonder if it hasn't always been like that, but was hidden as it didn't have an acknowledged name per se, so they were just 'difficult' children. As far as the local numbers here, I don't really have any idea, but the Kiasu syndrome has to have a large bearing on maybe the severity. Look at what this society does to otherwise rational human beings (maybe I shouldn't use the term 'otherwise rational'?) :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers