Singapore Expats

FAMILY ISSUES

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
RoxyRider

FAMILY ISSUES

Post by RoxyRider » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 1:36 pm

Mum + 2 children - Singaporean
Dad - American

All in Country X now.
Planning to move from Country X to Singapore.

This is the plan:
Mum currently and future - Housewife
2 children plan to enrol into Singapore public schools
Dad still working in Country X (better pay & stability), comes back and lives in Singapore a couple of weeks a month, >$200K.

(1) In such case, Dad not working in SG but will the Dad get PR since his wife and children are all Singaporeans?
(2) If not PR, in such case will Dad get LTVP?
(3) Assume PR is granted to Dad while whole family is still in Country X, whole family then moves to SG, Mum housewife, children public schools, but Dad continue working in Country X. Can Dad keep his PR successfully and continuously?
(4) Does Dad need a SG job to keep his PR? Or Dad can work overseas as long as he can provide?
(5) Does the children being in public schools increase the Dad's chance of PR?
(6) What is the best way for Dad in such scenario to get SG Citizenship?

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: FAMILY ISSUES

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 2:25 pm

1st step is for Dad to get LTSVP. Then after couple of years PR and then after 10 years citizenship. So go step by step.

RoxyRider

Post by RoxyRider » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 3:57 pm

10 years?!?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 4:55 pm

Wd40, where did you get that from?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: FAMILY ISSUES

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 5:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wd40, where did you get that from?
Based on this forum. Which part is wrong? Okay, it varies from person to person but aren't the timelines reasonable or are they totally off?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

RoxyRider

Post by RoxyRider » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 5:40 pm

Can get SC without working in SG??

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 5:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wd40, where did you get that from?
Based on this forum. Which part is wrong? Okay, it varies from person to person but aren't the timelines reasonable or are they totally off?

Yes and no. For the "based on their own merits" PRs it was generally advised on this board to wait till the first PR renewal. In that sense assuming 5y of PR, 1y of LTVP and cumulative waiting time of a year, we end up with 7y min. But formally:

Eligibility
Spouse of Singapore Citizen with a minimum of 2-year residence as a PR and married for at least 2 years preceding the date of application.

it can probably be as fast as 2-3 years.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 6:00 pm

RoxyRider wrote:Can get SC without working in SG??
Ok, so you are the SC mom :)
Cannot! Unless world class table tennis player or something similar :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 6:11 pm

I just notice one word in what I quoted above: "residence". I am not sure whether a de facto weekend daddy would constitute for this.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 6:49 pm

Unless something has changed it's not likely. I lived here for 11 years, with one SG wife 2 SG children on SVPs. Couldn't get any sort of residency until I took up residency by getting a job in Singapore. However, I stopped at PR but needed to get a job here in order to do so. Whether it can be done via LTVP route today, I don't know. For the record, I worked offshore on a 2 & 1 rotation so was only in SG for 4 weeks out of every quarter.

Sent from the ozone layer - the answer is out there!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 7:51 pm

RoxyRider wrote:Can get SC without working in SG??
To the best of my knowledge, only Via Global Investor scheme.

But that still goes via PR to SC.

I am convinced the Singapore govt doesn't bluff on statistics, and hence need physical presence to add to the resident population number before moving to citizen population number. On that score, regular folks looking to be citizen need to follow the process.

I maybe totally wrong there though ;)

RoxyRider

Post by RoxyRider » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 9:59 pm

Unless something has changed it's not likely. I lived here for 11 years, with one SG wife 2 SG children on SVPs. Couldn't get any sort of residency until I took up residency by getting a job in Singapore. However, I stopped at PR but needed to get a job here in order to do so. Whether it can be done via LTVP route today, I don't know. For the record, I worked offshore on a 2 & 1 rotation so was only in SG for 4 weeks out of every quarter.
Thank you so much SundayMorning! Sounds like my exact family situation soon!
Did you mean while you worked offshore, and even with a SC wife and SC kids, you are only given SVP?
And when you got a SG job, you then got PR on personal merit? Not via PR spouse scheme?
Do you think with your chance, you could get SC easily?

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 10:26 pm

RoxyRider wrote: 1.Did you mean while you worked offshore, and even with a SC wife and SC kids, you are only given SVP?
And when you got a SG job, you then got PR on personal merit? Not via PR spouse scheme?
2.Do you think with your chance, you could get SC easily?

1.SMS got his PR long ago and things have changed largely since then for PR and SC Applications.
2.Since he is working and residing in SG as PR and also has family members as SC, it would be easy for him to get SC.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:03 pm

RoxyRider wrote:
Thank you so much SundayMorning! Sounds like my exact family situation soon!
Did you mean while you worked offshore, and even with a SC wife and SC kids, you are only given SVP?

Correct. As I wasn't here most of the time, but I was working in other countries, I suppose back then the govenment was just being mean. As noted things have changed somewhat, but just how hard it is I'm not too sure. It's easier if it's a foreign female (depending on where she is from as well) and a male SG citizen, not so easy the other way around (where the male is the foreigner).

When I got my first & second jobs here I was on EPs. (there were not any S passes back in those days, there wasn't even EP 1, 2 & 3 nor PEPs - Only EP which caught everything (like it does not but it's geared the same way but just implemented differently). Eventually I applied for PR and after a Try, an appeal and another try, I got PR. Even with a local wife and two local children it was still hard for a male foreigner to get established here using the Family Ties Scheme (which is the way I went along with my employment as a backup).

Do you think with your chance, you could get SC easily?

Today? Hell NO. I'm almost 69 years old now. I've been here 34 years. Now that I'm a spent shell of my former self, why should/would they be so kind as to give me SGC? I'm getting up where I'm going to start incurring a lot of medical expenses (possibly - I've always been health as an ox) My son has already done his NS and my daughter just gave me a grandson (Singaporean cannon fodder). Doesn't make sense to give it to me now when I will probably need the subsidies for medical, and they have gotten their pound of flesh from my son while he still had dual citizenship.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 11:06 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
RoxyRider wrote: 1.Did you mean while you worked offshore, and even with a SC wife and SC kids, you are only given SVP?
2.Do you think with your chance, you could get SC easily?

1.SMS got his PR long ago and things have changed largely since then for PR and SC Applications.
2.Since he is working and residing in SG as PR and also has family members as SC, it would be easy for him to get SC.

I worked offshore for the 1st 11 years here and I could get PR nor LTVP nor EP. Only SVPs. I hand to hang up my fins and take a job flying a desk in Singapore in order to get a residency permit for a couple of years before I could apply for PR. It was no easier then that it will be now, I reckon.