Singapore Expats

FAMILY ISSUES

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
RoxyRider

Re: FAMILY ISSUES

Post by RoxyRider » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 3:09 pm

Thank you Sunday.
Can I ask, for example the Dad's passport is 90 day visa free in SG.
Can the dad come and "live" with the family in SG for 90 days straight, leave for a couple of days to a week then come back and start the 90 days cycle again? All these while dad is working offshore? I believe this is nothing illegal but would ICA question why the in-and-out of the country so frequently? Do you still need a LTVP or SVP in this case?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 3:15 pm

RoxyRider wrote:Thank you Sunday.
Can I ask, for example the Dad's passport is 90 day visa free in SG.
Can the dad come and "live" with the family in SG for 90 days straight, leave for a couple of days to a week then come back and start the 90 days cycle again? All these while dad is working offshore? I believe this is nothing illegal but would ICA question why the in-and-out of the country so frequently? Do you still need a LTVP or SVP in this case?
This question keeps coming up ... again and again.

If the 'dad's passport allows 90 days, yes, on his visa run, he should get another 90 days. But ICA may suspect he is doing visa runs, and may give him 30 days on his next return. The recommended solution is a) stay more than 4 or 5 days out of Singapore before returning, and b) preferably go back to his country or origin and come back.

Depending on his age, your status etc, they may simply not bother and keep giving 90 day visa, or not.

To avoid headache, get a LTVP.

PS, SVP = Social visit pass = what he gets upon arrival. What passport does he hold, by the way ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 4:31 pm

Should have read the first post, Squirrel. American. But yeah, getting an LTVP would be the most equitable solution (if possible). visa runs for those working offshore got sticky back in the the late '90's and now you are likely to get one on a 4 or 5 day turnaround but you are likely to get 3 day on the next on and you will be told you need to return to your home country. Now if you leave say after 60 or 70 days and go for a holiday for a week you might make it three trips before you get tripped up. LTVP is the best option if you can get it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 4:32 pm

Basically you are limited to around 180 days a year (not in writing but hearsay) so when you burn it out in 7 months, things are going to get rough.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Mar 2016 4:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Should have read the first post, Squirrel. American.
Too late, I Went and re-read the first post :-k :-k

RoxyRider

Post by RoxyRider » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks Sunday for your wise advice and experience.
I was wondering is LTVP would be easy to get, especially is Mum is a housewife and SG kids are still schooling age. The only one with income is American Dad working offshore.

Another question regarding your situation (3 decades ago! :D )
Did you relocate with your SG wife and kids from another country while you were still working offshore? Or did your wife and kids move to SG first before you apply any kind of visa/PR? I assume ICA might be more generous with the PR if they hope the whole family to relocate back in SG vs. SG wife and kids already in SG, trying to bring the dad (you) in.

Lastly, in my case, can the family buy a landed property?
My understanding is only SC or PR can buy a landed property, otherwise a foreigner should apply to the government. If American Dad working offshore wants to buy the landed property with SG Mum and has 2 SG children, would applications work out?

Thanks so much

adeline.35

Post by adeline.35 » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 8:34 pm

Landed property only SC can buy.
PR are subjected to approval

Unless is sentosa cove which allow foreigner buyer.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 10:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
RoxyRider wrote:Do you think with your chance, you could get SC easily?

Today? Hell NO. I'm almost 69 years old now. I've been here 34 years. Now that I'm a spent shell of my former self, why should/would they be so kind as to give me SGC?
I don't think you'd have any problem getting approved for it.
The difference in coverage between SC and PR is really negligible, isn't it?

I think what would be the big problem for you would be the expatriation tax to give up the other citizenship, but that's another story that could take up a whole discussion by itself.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:58 pm

RoxyRider wrote:Thanks Sunday for your wise advice and experience.
I was wondering is LTVP would be easy to get, especially is Mum is a housewife and SG kids are still schooling age. The only one with income is American Dad working offshore.

That one I'm not sure about as it wasn't available back in those days. With Mum being a housewife, it might be difficult, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Another question regarding your situation (3 decades ago! :D )
Did you relocate with your SG wife and kids from another country while you were still working offshore? Or did your wife and kids move to SG first before you apply any kind of visa/PR? I assume ICA might be more generous with the PR if they hope the whole family to relocate back in SG vs. SG wife and kids already in SG, trying to bring the dad (you) in.

I was single when I came to Singapore. I met and married my wife here and we have two children (both born in the old KK hospital). My eldest just turned 32 a week ago and 4 months ago, she made me a grandpa.

Lastly, in my case, can the family buy a landed property?
My understanding is only SC or PR can buy a landed property, otherwise a foreigner should apply to the government. If American Dad working offshore wants to buy the landed property with SG Mum and has 2 SG children, would applications work out?

No reason why not as long a SG mom puts the whole property in her and her children's names and can somehow get a mortgage/loan in her name alone (not sure how you would accomplish that one) Not an ideal setup from the Father's viewpoint, I can tell you that. I also don't think the Gahmen would go for it unless the father has residency here (PR or SC) unless, as noted already, buying a property in Sentosa (but not sure about a landed one).

Thanks so much

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Re: FAMILY ISSUES

Post by Hidy Ho » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 4:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wd40, where did you get that from?
Based on this forum. Which part is wrong? Okay, it varies from person to person but aren't the timelines reasonable or are they totally off?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Generally what's wrong with internet. Someone who has no personal experience or personal knowledge but spends a lot of time in a forum, regurgitate whatever they read on the forum as fact and becomes an "expert".

sundaymorningstaple

Re: RE: Re: FAMILY ISSUES

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2016 7:44 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Wd40, where did you get that from?
Based on this forum. Which part is wrong? Okay, it varies from person to person but aren't the timelines reasonable or are they totally off?

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Generally what's wrong with internet. Someone who has no personal experience or personal knowledge but spends a lot of time in a forum, regurgitate whatever they read on the forum as fact and becomes an "expert".
A good example of which part is wrong would be in the case of 'Bakulii' who arrived in July 2008, got his PR about 16 months later and 5 years later got his SC. Definitely variable. If the candidate is any good, I figure around 8 years. 2 to PR, 5.5~6 more to SC. But it could take 20 years as well.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 24 Mar 2016 9:10 am

RoxyRider wrote:Mum + 2 children - Singaporean
Dad - American

All in Country X now.
Planning to move from Country X to Singapore.

This is the plan:
Mum currently and future - Housewife
2 children plan to enrol into Singapore public schools
Dad still working in Country X (better pay & stability), comes back and lives in Singapore a couple of weeks a month, >$200K.

(1) In such case, Dad not working in SG but will the Dad get PR since his wife and children are all Singaporeans?
(2) If not PR, in such case will Dad get LTVP?
(3) Assume PR is granted to Dad while whole family is still in Country X, whole family then moves to SG, Mum housewife, children public schools, but Dad continue working in Country X. Can Dad keep his PR successfully and continuously?
(4) Does Dad need a SG job to keep his PR? Or Dad can work overseas as long as he can provide?
(5) Does the children being in public schools increase the Dad's chance of PR?
(6) What is the best way for Dad in such scenario to get SG Citizenship?
I see this failing without one party (i.e. father) actually working in Singapore or being posted to Singapore. Also I concur to some extent with WD40's estimate on timing.... 3 years to get 3 payslips for PR; then a year for application and then another year or two for SC. 3+1+2 = 7 but first has to get a job or posting here which could be as long as a string. (Note: a successful self employed person may get around my first objection fairly easily).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!