Singapore Expats Forum

Random thoughts thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 1:49 am

'As ever, however, there is a flip side to the German complaint. Germany’s massive current account surplus has been both a cause of the eurozone’s travails, and an obstacle to any lasting solutions. Before the crisis, it led to an explosion of bad lending to the rest of the Eurozone; German refusal since then to accept that the money is lost has permanently depressed demand in the south thereby worsening debt dynamics even further.

The EU’s Macroeconomic Imbalance Procedure dictates that the European Commission should launch disciplinary proceedings if any nation records a surplus of above 6pc for three years in a row. Germany is now into its sixth year of such surpluses, and far from declining as the crisis hit countries adjust to lower levels of demand, the sums involved have actually got bigger still, swelling to an astonishing 8.5pc of GDP last year.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... n=DM113628


The problem with the EU: Germany.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:07 am

Wd40 wrote:If you link your identity with your job, then it is bound to be devastating when you out of job, especially if it is not by your choice.

this is different from a person who has done just 1 thing all his life and that is his identity and on retirement he doesn't know what to do.



The first was me last December :lol: when they fired me and rehired me within a week for no apparent performance issue but more of a company restructuring exercise, that week was particularly tough.I was almost getting over it and decided to take my payout and lookout for a new job when they called me back and rehired me and gave me a job which was totally new,different and refreshing so it was like a new job and i'm loving it to be honest.


The second part of WD40's post is my father. :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 10:29 am

Brah wrote:Not to derail this thread as I think it should keep moving as it is, like another thread from six or nine months ago, I find it a quite good, communal discussion, what forums can be when they are healthy and not dysfunctional.


I think its largely because most of the people who post here are regulars, have no specific agenda, or need to find an outlet to share thoughts with unconnected strangers on the Internet without any inhibitions.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:04 pm

My father also worked at one job his entire life but it never did define him. I guess it does that only if you let it. His life was full of his hobbies and social life. He was a hobbiest master woodworker and this blossomed after his retirement but on a consignment basis and his gardening. He was active socially as well, being a member of the Elks club, VFW, American Legion and a Mason. So I guess you only get defined by your job if you allow it to govern your life.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby x9200 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 12:25 pm

I am for 15y now with my current company. It has nothing to do with defining me. It is just a result of the balance between how much I like and dislike different things with this particular employer and what are my life/career priorities. In my case as long as I can do what I like, receive salary I am satisfied with and don't hate too much all the rest, I see no reason to change the employer. I am not money focused and career oriented person. Will not hop a job for few dollars pay raise and I prefer technical to purely managerial assignments - the later often comes at a price.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 3:19 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:The first was me last December :lol: when they fired me and rehired me within a week for no apparent performance issue but more of a company restructuring exercise, that week was particularly tough.I was almost getting over it and decided to take my payout and lookout for a new job when they called me back and rehired me and gave me a job which was totally new,different and refreshing so it was like a new job and i'm loving it to be honest.
The second part of WD40's post is my father. :lol:


I think the danger can come when you become complacent and hence come to consider yourself a valued part of the mothership, indispensable. You lose, or never acquire, the cynicism that however much an employer 'values/celebrates/adores' it's employees that's just bull$; you're ultimately just an expense on a spreadsheet.
It's.... er, remarkable you got back for a 2nd bite of the cherry. Good for you, I hope you get your pound of flesh out of them this time :-D
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 9:16 pm

JR8 wrote:You lose, or never acquire, the cynicism that however much an employer 'values/celebrates/adores' it's employees that's just bull$; you're ultimately just an expense on a spreadsheet.


Bingo! And when the time comes for the contract to end and you hear, "We're going to see what we can do to keep you on," you can be just about absolutely sure that no one has a budget or a role for you, nor do they want to fight for one. They just don't want to tell you, "I'm kicking you out of my P&L so that my numbers look better for the boss next quarter."

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9163
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby x9200 » Thu, 28 Apr 2016 9:36 pm

Well, yes. They keep you as long as it serves their goals. If a good replacement just show up one day, not necessary better in doing the actual job, but better in fulfilling the ever changing KPIs feel threatened. Especially if the person is younger and less paid.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 5:20 pm

Thank you in various languages
English thank you
German Danke
Spanish gracias
Hindi danyawad
Russian spaseeba
Australian cheers cunt
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby JR8 » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 5:42 pm

.... and here comes the 'call to prayer'. Time to close the windows before God's beckoning is blasted into my home. Watch the women entirely shrouded head to foot in black passing by with just the lower 1Cm of her feet visible, perhaps her way of expressing individuality - the soles of Converse All-Stars? That is what society limits her to.

And the rich men come and park their fancy cars outside the mosque, and so come all the dispossessed Friday afternoon beggars, awaiting the money. One will provide a perverse satisfaction to the other.

God I loath religion and the whores it makes of people.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sat, 30 Apr 2016 1:21 am

Meanwhile I'm in a prata place , the time is 1:30am I've had plenty if beer in the tanker.
Religion? What's that? As I fanatically dig into my cheese prata. This is heaven! I have arrived!
Last edited by rajagainstthemachine on Sat, 30 Apr 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby JR8 » Sat, 30 Apr 2016 1:40 am

Decent beer, get stuck in my son :-D
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby JR8 » Tue, 03 May 2016 12:05 am

'Must listen: We've found the real Bastard Operator From Hell
Ingenious IT boss banishes hapless callers to on-hold Hades with Extension 666'
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/29 ... hold_hell/

:lol: :devil:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby the lynx » Mon, 09 May 2016 1:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:You lose, or never acquire, the cynicism that however much an employer 'values/celebrates/adores' it's employees that's just bull$; you're ultimately just an expense on a spreadsheet.


Bingo! And when the time comes for the contract to end and you hear, "We're going to see what we can do to keep you on," you can be just about absolutely sure that no one has a budget or a role for you, nor do they want to fight for one. They just don't want to tell you, "I'm kicking you out of my P&L so that my numbers look better for the boss next quarter."


I have grown/learned not to believe any employer when one tries to pull this ruminant manure out in the spirit of "appreciating employees". I can reciprocate with the equal amount of ruminant manure on my loyalty to the company or how much sacrifice I make to the employer - all while hiding a Plan B, and a dagger behind my back. Welcome to the real world - trust no one, especially when it concerns your rice bowl.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: RE: Re: Random thoughts thread

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 09 May 2016 3:01 pm

the lynx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:You lose, or never acquire, the cynicism that however much an employer 'values/celebrates/adores' it's employees that's just bull$; you're ultimately just an expense on a spreadsheet.


Bingo! And when the time comes for the contract to end and you hear, "We're going to see what we can do to keep you on," you can be just about absolutely sure that no one has a budget or a role for you, nor do they want to fight for one. They just don't want to tell you, "I'm kicking you out of my P&L so that my numbers look better for the boss next quarter."


I have grown/learned not to believe any employer when one tries to pull this ruminant manure out in the spirit of "appreciating employees". I can reciprocate with the equal amount of ruminant manure on my loyalty to the company or how much sacrifice I make to the employer - all while hiding a Plan B, and a dagger behind my back. Welcome to the real world - trust no one, especially when it concerns your rice bowl.

Absolutely, very few employers/manager are 100% honest. Most of the time they are fake, whether in a good way or a bad way. Even when they tell me I am doing a good job, I don't trust them. It's rare the manager will ever tell you that you that you are doing a bad a job. And when they tell you that you know that its time to move on anyways.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests