Singapore Expats

Random thoughts thread

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Random thoughts thread

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 3:45 pm

nakatago wrote:And "shifting." I don't know about you guys but to me, shifting is small change or movement in a physical. Shift that chair to the right, you nudge it a bit to the right. The tectonic plates shifted; in a geographical scale, a movement of a meter is a shift.
You go to a Tampines store and you see a sign "We shifted to Jurong oredi."
To me, in my version of English (;)) shift in this way = small move, small task, but not entirely welcome (shift has parallels with schlep ie. hard-work/laborious), done informally/ad hoc task.

'He made me shift the pile of boxes of A4 to the Xerox room'.

If it was done by the photocopier guy, or the paper delivery guy, or as part of an established routine then it would be 'move' instead.

-- Agree with the ref to shifting of tectonic plates = small probably insignificant move.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 4:52 pm

My current favourite, when asking how you want your steak cooked they just say, "doneness"?

Brilliant!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 13 Apr 2016 5:20 pm

bgd wrote:My current favourite, when asking how you want your steak cooked they just say, "doneness"?

Brilliant!
Basically you can only have your steak well done then. I find that in Asia they tend to cook one level higher than what you order. Ordering your steak blue here may not be a water-testing experience after all :-P

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 8:03 pm

What an awesome landlady I have. My contract is ending in Jun and my rent is 2050. She just called me and asked me if I want to renew. I said yes. She asked if I need anything for the house. I said no. She offered to reduce my rent to 1900, without even me trying to bargain. :)

Not just that, she also offered to service my aircons :)

This will be 3rd renewal. It started off in 2014 Jun with rental of 2100 and I had paid the agent fee. Last year the landlady absorbed the agent fee, because the agent was her sister in law, lol and she reduced the rent to 2050.

Now if only my job lasts 1 more year in SG.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 8:15 pm

A pragmatic LL + presumably a good tenant. Shame we don't hear of more such examples.
Good for you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 8:35 pm

good to hear WD40 hopefully my landlord with reduce too... I'm paying 2300.. i think its steep in the current circumstances.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Apr 2016 9:21 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:good to hear WD40 hopefully my landlord with reduce too... I'm paying 2300.. i think its steep in the current circumstances.
It depends on your area, whether it is a hdb/condo, number of bedrooms and also how well it is done up.

For HDB you can check out these links to find the rent in your area:

https://services2.hdb.gov.sg/webapp/BR1 ... Search.jsp

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/reside ... statistics

My house is in Tampines and 1900 seems just right for a 2 bedroom hdb.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 Apr 2016 7:41 pm

Sitting here reading a copy of Jane's Defence Review; like a What Car magazine but for the arms trade.

Laughed out loud to see an ad for an upcoming arms fair in Jakarta 'Indo Defence 2016'. Complete with a '3 for 2 earlybird exclusive' offer on tickets.

Only in Asia....

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 8:47 pm

Just came back from the movie Jungle book at GV in vivocity. The movie Hall was almost 100% Indians. Almost as if it was a Bollywood movie.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:49 am

the lynx wrote:Basically you can only have your steak well done then. I find that in Asia they tend to cook one level higher than what you order. Ordering your steak blue here may not be a water-testing experience after all :-P
Interesting - I've consistently found it be be the opposite.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 7:50 am

I once made the mistake of ordering steak rare, they bought it out almost uncooked! Morons!!!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 1:36 pm

Ah, i must have been "unlucky". In Canada, USA and UK, they always get my steak order right. But here, I have been ordering my steak medium rare because I am preempting it to be medium. Never wrong.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Mon, 18 Apr 2016 6:07 pm

Same goes for chicken - countless times it's been undercooked, sometimes dangerously so.

That includes a certain high-end Thai restaurant in a hotel, which served downright rare chicken and sent it back, still came back rare! Never went back after that.

Elsewhere I usually get Medium Well, which here comes as Medium Rare for burgers, and Medium for steaks which here more often than not also comes as Medium Rare.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Apr 2016 4:56 pm

I had to laugh at some of these...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... age-of-40/
'40 things that every man should know by the age of 40'

And the opening champagne with a sabre, yeah it works :-D Here is another vid demonstrating 'thusly' as Alton Brown is fond of saying. I always enjoy the technical/scientific angle he brings to F+B. Looks like some more informative+entertaining links down the side of this vid too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCp9-tEHa8U
'Champagne Saber Time - Alton Brown'

edit/add: Damn those wolverine style meat-shredders look like fun. Could go rabid on some pulled-pork with those :-D [@1:15mins] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg :lol:

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Apr 2016 9:18 am

JR8 wrote:edit/add: Damn those wolverine style meat-shredders look like fun. Could go rabid on some pulled-pork with those :-D [@1:15mins] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg :lol:
Initially I was drawn by the wolverine claws, and then Rollie won my attention...

:oops: