Singapore Expats

Question - Would any of you patronize a shop selling vintage/antique items and furniture?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Question - Would any of you patronize a shop selling vintage/antique items and furniture?

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 5:00 pm

villanova wrote:x9200 - that's right. http://www.secondcharm.net/ there ya go
Ehem, is it that sort of stuff you intend to sell? Kallang is not ulu ulu. I wonder how much you need to pay for what is presented on the webpage. Somehow I doubt the price is reasonable, but please correct me.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Question - Would any of you patronize a shop selling vintage/antique items and furniture?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 5:56 pm

It's a shame that site has not be updated since 2010. I might have to check to see if they still have any of the art-deco cabinets around to match the one I have at home now (made around 1955 here in Singapore - still has the tin plate on the back of one of the doors (mfgr, address and 5 digit phone number). There is one on the site and the matching bed & dressing table as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 9:59 pm

x9200 wrote:
villanova wrote:x9200 - in doing my research i actually visited a place that was selling refurbished and antique furniture from the south east asia region in an industrial area - and it had lots of people there! there is virtually no public transport to get there and yet business was great!
In Singapore?
Somewhere off upper thompson? There's an industiral area up there with a few. OP - do yourself a favour and go to the old Bukit Timah race course. On the far side opposite the stands there has to be an acre of vintage junk shops. They're just picking places. I don't know their name or their phone no. I found them by chance when wondering around the old race track. It's actually on Turf Club Road.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 10:31 pm

Hmm, I've never been that far away over there but yes, google shows something interesting:
https://www.google.com.sg/maps/@1.33802 ... 312!8i6656

PNGMK, you live somewhere near? The other day you mentioned the Riffle Range Rd, so I checked it out. Was also an interesting trip. Thank you. I very much like this off the beaten (expat) track Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:00 pm

I believe the shops referred to are adjacent to the over-flow car-parks for The Grandstand ('farmers market'/f+b etc). The latter does have a transit bus from somewhere downtown. So it'd be simple to go and check out the antique places, and then pop into TG for a browse, shop, and some alternative F+B to the usual SGn offerings.

[There's a great beer shop at TG too, most of the lines I have seen nowhere else in SG]
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 9:17 am

x9200 wrote:Hmm, I've never been that far away over there but yes, google shows something interesting:
https://www.google.com.sg/maps/@1.33802 ... 312!8i6656

PNGMK, you live somewhere near? The other day you mentioned the Riffle Range Rd, so I checked it out. Was also an interesting trip. Thank you. I very much like this off the beaten (expat) track Singapore.
Yes - that's the area on your google map link. The whole of the old race track is interesting. If you go in further away from race track area in towards the old stables there are (or were) a couple interesting F&B places (Picotin II, a Horse club cafe) near the old accomodation for the jockeys... (which is worth a look itself).

No X9200 - I ride a motorbike though and I find that an excellent way to explore off the main path parts of Singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:27 am

Hehehe, I actually do the same, just don't have that much time now for doing it.
I have to go back to the Lim Chu Kang Rd area one day. I visited it ~10y ago and it was like a different country comparing to the rest of SG.

villanova

Post by villanova » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:26 am

x9200 wrote:
Ehem, is it that sort of stuff you intend to sell? Kallang is not ulu ulu. I wonder how much you need to pay for what is presented on the webpage. Somehow I doubt the price is reasonable, but please correct me.
yes, i was and am still thinking about the viability of it. and no, kallang has an industrial area that is indeed ulu mate. via public transport access it is a 1.2km walk from the closest train station. to answer your last question, you are right - it is around 400 for a single bedside table.

villanova

Post by villanova » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:27 am

PNGMK wrote:
x9200 wrote:
villanova wrote:x9200 - in doing my research i actually visited a place that was selling refurbished and antique furniture from the south east asia region in an industrial area - and it had lots of people there! there is virtually no public transport to get there and yet business was great!
In Singapore?
Somewhere off upper thompson? There's an industiral area up there with a few. OP - do yourself a favour and go to the old Bukit Timah race course. On the far side opposite the stands there has to be an acre of vintage junk shops. They're just picking places. I don't know their name or their phone no. I found them by chance when wondering around the old race track. It's actually on Turf Club Road.[/quote

hello mate, good morning. thank you very much, i will do that when i am back in singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:39 am

villanova wrote:
x9200 wrote:
yes, i was and am still thinking about the viability of it. and no, kallang has an industrial area that is indeed ulu mate. via public transport access it is a 1.2km walk from the closest train station. to answer your last question, you are right - it is around 400 for a single bedside table.
Then I completely miss your point. At the time the shops were at the Dempsey Hill I bough two very nice, Chinese style bedside tables for like $100-200 each, now you gave me an example of some shop which you claim is ulu and they still expect to pay higher price, likely because of the rent.

Ulu for me is like Sungei Kadut where you have to travel 30-40min by car from the more downtown areas. Kallang is like 10 min away for many expats. You don't expect the customers to use MRT or bus for this type of shopping, do you? My earlier point was, you may hope for a lower rent in the more remote industrial places what apparently for Kallang is not the case, and if it is not the case, how are you going to compete offering the prices to be more reasonable?

villanova

Post by villanova » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:49 am

x9200 wrote:
villanova wrote:
x9200 wrote: Ehem, is it that sort of stuff you intend to sell? Kallang is not ulu ulu. I wonder how much you need to pay for what is presented on the webpage. Somehow I doubt the price is reasonable, but please correct me.
Then I completely miss your point. At the time the shops were at the Dempsey Hill I bough two very nice, Chinese style bedside tables for like $100-200 each, now you gave me an example of some shop which you claim is ulu and they still expect to pay higher price, likely because of the rent.

Ulu for me is like Sungei Kadut where you have to travel 30-40min by car from the more downtown areas. Kallang is like 10 min away for many expats. You don't expect the customers to use MRT or bus for this type of shopping, do you? My earlier point was, you may hope for a lower rent in the more remote industrial places what apparently for Kallang is not the case, and if it is not the case, how are you going to compete offering the prices to be more reasonable?
haha alright i guess we have different definitions of ulu then buddy. yes, i understand your earlier point. thank you for your input, i'll mos def consider everything you said. have a smashing weekend!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 11:58 am

Check out Tagore Lane Industrial area as well. There were some antique / trash like outlets there a few years ago (that's the one off Upper Thompson that I was thinking of before).

villanova

Post by villanova » Fri, 11 Mar 2016 12:07 pm

PNGMK wrote:Check out Tagore Lane Industrial area as well. There were some antique / trash like outlets there a few years ago (that's the one off Upper Thompson that I was thinking of before).

will do mate! cheers and beers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 12 Mar 2016 7:42 am

@villanova: Nb., if you never been in the said Sungei Kadut this is like a furniture industrial district for Singapore. Majority is brand new stuff, but some antique shops also have there their warehouses.