Singapore Expats

ex Singaporean husband w/ Singapore wife

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zegnaangelo

Re: ex Singaporean husband w/ Singapore wife

Post by zegnaangelo » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:39 pm

So what should I do now? LTVP? PR? Or just don't bother! :)

i do want to come back to work sometime (hopefully my daughter can go to school there perhaps)... immigration is ok now with e-IACS which means I can use the automated lanes... but unfortunately can't work or buy an HDB

FWIW, when i renounced, i knew there was no exception / special way back to get PR or Singapore citizenship (unlike most other countries which do give you some form of residency).. thought though it will be assessed under the prevailing policies at the time and considered on the own merits...

zegnaangelo

Post by zegnaangelo » Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:47 pm

anyway, why is everyone fighting here?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 12:43 am

zegnaangelo wrote:anyway, why is everyone fighting here?
I don't know if I'd call it a fight... and... the posters here are trying to ensure that you get accurate information, information that can help you make the right decision, information that doesn't get your hopes up because it is inaccurate.

Those moderators who have been on this board for a long time know the long history of Mad Scientist. When it comes to immigration and national service, this man's experience and understanding is second to none. He knows exactly where there is leeway and where the hammer comes down.

Contrast this to other well meaning people who take the time to research a topic in the hopes of providing you advice. They are perhaps helpful, perhaps not. They can challenge each other's interpretation of the research they have done.

The issue arises when they challenge Mad Scientist in this knowledge domain. Maybe if Mad Scientist is talking about how to prepare the best crepe, it's a free for all. But, those of us who know Mad Scientist also know his posts are spot on, and when other posters continue to insist that their positions are equally worthy... well... it just doesn't sit well.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 12:47 am

zegnaangelo wrote:FWIW, when i renounced, i knew there was no exception / special way back to get PR or Singapore citizenship (unlike most other countries which do give you some form of residency).. thought though it will be assessed under the prevailing policies at the time and considered on the own merits...
I don't think you are going to see much change in this area... maybe if and when Singapore starts talking about dual citizenship, there might be a conversation about regaining Singapore citizenship.

FWIW, the USA is exactly the same way. Once you renounce, you can never get your USA citizenship back. Moreoever, depending upon your reasons for renouncing and your tax status, you can also be permanently barred from entering the USA as a tourist.

zegnaangelo

Post by zegnaangelo » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 9:00 am

ok so let's take a step back now. seems there is some disagreement here and i am confused now...

With the facts of my case, is there any possibility of then going back to Singapore under:
1/ EP
2/ LTVP
3/ PR

if 1+2+3 not possible, that means i could be an exile forever :o

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 9:09 am

zegnaangelo wrote:FWIW, when i renounced, i knew there was no exception / special way back to get PR or Singapore citizenship (unlike most other countries which do give you some form of residency).. thought though it will be assessed under the prevailing policies at the time and considered on the own merits...
Those countries that want former citizens to get privileges or allow others to 'buy' residency, are those which need the $ of the former citizens, though many may beg to differ.

India, Malaysia and Philippines comes to mind.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 9:11 am

zegnaangelo wrote:ok so let's take a step back now. seems there is some disagreement here and i am confused now...

With the facts of my case, is there any possibility of then going back to Singapore under:
1/ EP
2/ LTVP
3/ PR

EP seems possible. If you qualify of course.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 10:10 am

As you have exited Singapore properly, having done your own NS, etc. If you qualify in your own right for an EP like any other person trying to get a job here (you get no benefit from having been a citizen nor are any points taken away as far as I'm aware of). So if you qualify, you have an EP. ( and there ARE documented cases of Ex-Citizens here on EP's, In fact, I actually met one, strangely enough, via eBay. (I bought a NOS Saddleback Leather backpack from him.) He's now a Canadian but was currently here on an EP, having been sent here by his company in Canada.

However, PR is out of the question unless you are so up there that you are actually offered it to return by the government (not the other way around) regardless of what is written in the statutes (it their call, it's not a right/entitlement).

The LTVP, frankly is another kettle of fish due to the changes made in the past two or three years. I could see you possibly getting an LTVP and being allowed to work (if you can get an EP, why not, especially at your income level). However, I believe that would be as far as it would go. (But on hindsight, maybe LTVP might be pushing it as there are some subsidies (little but some) available to LTVP holders that might cross the line with ICA and the provision of benefits to an ex-Singaporean. So, I wouldn't really count on it. But as I said, it's a gray area at this point in time as I doubt that it's been tested as of yet.

In cases like yours, I just say if your want "you buys yer ticket and takes yer chances". My advice, get an EP if possible. If not, try for an LTVP but don't hold your breath waiting. If you get your EP and want to try for an LTVP, go ahead, but remember most LTVPs are renewable annually and they don't have to do so (there is not an real permanence there either but at least it's longer than the 30 days given at the end of an EP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 08 Mar 2016 3:25 pm

zegnaangelo wrote:anyway, why is everyone fighting here?
I have no idea (either). "Here's what the government says, and here's what I think" is quite sufficient and civil.

....Or a Personalised Employment Pass, as I mentioned, if you can pull up to at least S$18K/month where you are now in order to qualify. If you're granted a PEP you can then hunt for a job (even in Singapore, for a time), and you can stay on your PEP for up to 3 years as long as you're at or above S$12K/month (S$144K/calendar year, actually). Before that 3 year period ends you'd need to switch to a LTVP, EP (or other work pass), or PR to stay in Singapore.

Alternatively, if you arrive in Singapore with a EP, you can switch to a PEP if you're at the S$12K/month (S$144K/calendar year) or above level. The income requirement is higher if you're trying to go directly to a PEP from outside Singapore.

zegnaangelo

Post by zegnaangelo » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:31 am

zegnaangelo wrote:
Tue, 08 Mar 2016 9:00 am
ok so let's take a step back now. seems there is some disagreement here and i am confused now...

1/ EP
2/ LTVP
3/ PR

sorry to bump the old thread but I am back (have not actually applied for PR or LTVP yet)

so, life has changed and my wife and children (singaporeans) and myself want to return to singapore.

main facts to summarise again
1. SC spouse does not work still, but my foreign income qualifies me for a PE (ie S$18k+)
2. me still ex singaporean done NS (why did I renounce... stupid decision)
3. three singaporean children (girls though)

given there has been changes to the schemes I see,
should i still go down the LTVP/PLOC or PEP route? tbh i do regret giving up my citizenship if I could i would reapply to get it back but seems I am blacklisted.

has there been any changes on attitudes towards foreigners since the pandemic?

maybe i should apply for both and take my chances?

if my LTVP or PEP is rejected, should i get my wifes MP to write a letter? because sadly a rejection would preclude the entire family coming back

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 26 Mar 2022 7:10 pm

zegnaangelo wrote:
Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:31 am

tbh i do regret giving up my citizenship if I could i would reapply to get it back but seems I am blacklisted.
This should not surprise anyone who has been paying attention. I can’t recall who said before, but “bitter girlfriend” is a probably the best way to describe what to expect after renunciation here. If you did your NS duty and you are serious about reacquiring, I suspect you’ll have a long road ahead to prove it.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Sunjackal
Regular
Regular

Post by Sunjackal » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 2:08 am

I can’t speak for the situation surrounding your citizenship, and whether that would impact your opportunity, but:

I was sponsored by my wife (SC) for a LTVP and that was granted before I had a job - and she was not employed either.

The caveat to that is we did have significant savings and owned a home in SG outright - mitigating most expense factors.

If you really want to come back, given your situation, I would try to get an EP personally. The other routes pose a greater risk of rejection for you, I would guess.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 4:33 pm

MY view is that the door is slightly more open to ex Singaporean's returning. How, I really don't know and unfortunately it is very hard to find good advice on this topic (which is a deliberate ploy by the ICA etc). There really is no harm in applying for an LTVP or finding a job where an EP can be granted. I don't think a PEP is ideal as they time out (after 3 years) and cannot be renewed (it's a weird thing and I think it is related to the old Professional Employment Pass scheme and is not a direct pathway to PR).

Is your current employer able to transfer you here? Could you open a branch for them and apply for an EP under that name?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 4:53 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 4:33 pm
I don't think a PEP is ideal as they time out (after 3 years) and cannot be renewed (it's a weird thing and I think it is related to the old Professional Employment Pass scheme and is not a direct pathway to PR).
Isn’t PEP just an EP with a license to job hop?
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 27 Mar 2022 5:23 pm

malcontent wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 4:53 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 4:33 pm
I don't think a PEP is ideal as they time out (after 3 years) and cannot be renewed (it's a weird thing and I think it is related to the old Professional Employment Pass scheme and is not a direct pathway to PR).
Isn’t PEP just an EP with a license to job hop?
Actually more like "temporary PR" but you have to have the income to prove it.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!