Singapore Expats Forum

When people label ladies as SPGs, what label do you give to men?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
amui
Regular
Regular

When people label ladies as SPGs, what label do you give to men?

Postby amui » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 3:42 pm

Me and my friends have a very interesting chat not long ago.

Topic was, how people label or recognize SPG. For example, she is a SPG because she has fake accent or hanging out with white people, or only date white people, and so on.

In my opinion, someone can pick up the accent when they live oversea for certain period of time, doesn't mean the person is showing off or faking it. Or hanging with white people who can be her colleagues or friends. Only date white people? it's a matter of preference or choice (for whatever reason). Nothing wrong with that.

How to recognize SPG, I am still working on that because till now, I don't see any SPG.

Somehow, new topic on the table. :-k

Do men have label too? example, men who only date Asian, do they have label/nickname? or men with fake accent?

None of us can figure that out.

Perhaps people out there can enlighten us on this? is there label for men?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: When people label ladies as SPGs, what label do you give to men?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 4:21 pm

amui wrote:Me and my friends have a very interesting chat not long ago.

Topic was, how people label or recognize SPG. For example, she is a SPG because she has fake accent or hanging out with white people, or only date white people, and so on.

Hanging out with or faking accents do not an SPG make. There is a lot more that goes into it than that.

In my opinion, someone can pick up the accent when they live oversea for certain period of time, doesn't mean the person is showing off or faking it.

I'm calling BullS**T on that one. Going overseas for a couple of years while at uni will only make you sound like a Singaporean with a faked accent. Full Stop. I've been here 34 years and I still don't sound like a Singaporean nor do I speak Singlish. (thank doG for that!)

Or hanging with white people who can be her colleagues or friends. Only date white people? it's a matter of preference or choice (for whatever reason). Nothing wrong with that. True

How to recognize SPG, I am still working on that because till now, I don't see any SPG.

I've not really seen any for the last 20 years, truth be known.

Somehow, new topic on the table. :-k

Do men have label too? example, men who only date Asian, do they have label/nickname? or men with fake accent?

Normally they are referred to as having 'yellow fever' if they are western expats. Men with fake local accents? I've never heard any, at least here in Singapore - doG knows why a western expat would want to sound like a local!!! Except to make fun of the poor level of English here (or singlish if you will) when they get one too many brewskis under their belt. Now Asian males copying a western accent, yeah, that's understandable as they are also probably using proper English as well. Acceptable. In fact a lot may be ABC's, BBCs or CBCs.

None of us can figure that out.

Perhaps people out there can enlighten us on this? is there label for men?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 4:29 pm

Oh, and I haven't been sequestered in an expat enclave here like Holland Village, I've been married to a Singaporean (I had Yellow Fever and still do, albeit she's dark brown) for 33 years this year and own my own HDB Flat and am a member of our local RC for the past 7 years. But I still don't speak singlish or sound like a Singaporean.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 4:58 pm

The book series referred to here applies -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong_party_girl
I remember when the first book came out c95, the guys in the office were rolling in the aisles for days as it nailed it so squarely, incl how to id them, and where to observe them (from memory: back then it was Boat Quay on Friday nights, and loitering hopefully around the cheese counter at Jason's in HV)*. Maybe 20 years on the equivalent is Equinox and the Tanjong Beach Club?
A label for men? What the ang mo's hanging out with SPGs? Well, a good part of it is necessity, and novelty of course. There are not many single eligible available ang mo girls in SG, so what to do ah? ;) Maybe an element of sexism comes into it, the SPGs are stereotyped as cheap gold-diggers looking for fun and maybe a ticket out. The guys predictably are kinder in their opinion of themselves and perhaps simply consider themselves 'players'...?

- Men with fake accents? Not sure who they are, do you mean SGn men? There's the lingering effect of code-switching you mention, esp amongst those who have studied or worked abroad. These days also the young in SG are exposed to a lot more western media, and so hearing a SGn teen speaking with an American accent, courtesy of Disney/MTV etc, is not uncommon.

* I remember the first day the original book was on sale, there was a queue in Raffles Place to buy copies. Not only was the book hilarious we were surprised that it had been allowed to be published. The media was ultra-controlled back then, effectively no internet, and other media all controlled via the govt. Then that book came out and we were like :o - how did that slip through the controls!? That was part of the reason it was so funny, it felt subversive.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

amui
Regular
Regular

Postby amui » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:01 pm

A friend of mine was being labeled as SPG (she is local) by another local girl just because she speak proper English in public. Funny comment that came out from her was "oh she is also a SPG with fake accent". :-&

I for once, had similar experience, but not being labeled as SPG. There was a gossip in the office that said I was showing off by using proper English. So I tried to adapt by trying to speak singlish but end up I made my own English. Then new gossip was born. It said I didn't go to college and failed my English. OMG ](*,)

By the way, thanks for the info. I will share this "yellow fever" info with my friends.

amui
Regular
Regular

Postby amui » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:12 pm

[quote="JR8"]The book series referred to here applies -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarong_party_girl
I remember when the first book came out c95, the guys in the office were rolling in the aisles for days as it nailed it so squarely, incl how to id them, and where to observe them (from memory: back then it was Boat Quay on Friday nights, and loitering hopefully around the cheese counter at Jason's in HV)*. Maybe 20 years on the equivalent is Equinox and the Tanjong Beach Club?
A label for men? What the ang mo's hanging out with SPGs? Well, a good part of it is necessity, and novelty of course. There are not many single eligible available ang mo girls in SG, so what to do ah? ;) Maybe an element of sexism comes into it, the SPGs are stereotyped as cheap gold-diggers looking for fun and maybe a ticket out. The guys predictably are kinder in their opinion of themselves and perhaps simply consider themselves 'players'...?

1. You do have a point here. what to do when demand is exceeding the supply

- Men with fake accents? Not sure who they are, do you mean SGn men? There's the lingering effect of code-switching you mention, esp amongst those who have studied or worked abroad. These days also the young in SG are exposed to a lot more western media, and so hearing a SGn teen speaking with an American accent, courtesy of Disney/MTV etc, is not uncommon.

2. Yes I am referring to local / Asian men who accent. I think it is pretty much common for people to pick up the accent or code-switching thing, which I think it is good thing.

* I remember the first day the original book was on sale, there was a queue in Raffles Place to buy copies. Not only was the book hilarious we were surprised that it had been allowed to be published. The media was ultra-controlled back then, effectively no internet, and other media all controlled via the govt. Then that book came out and we were like :o - how did that slip through the controls!? That was part of the reason it was so funny, it felt subversive.[/quote]

3. Gosh, I suppose I have to go and get myself a book. I just don't see any SPG around me, even when I am hanging out with friends at Boat Q, CQ or club street, etc. I have live here for more than 10 years now and just don't see or notice SPGs at all.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:19 pm

amui wrote: How to recognize SPG, I am still working on that because till now, I don't see any SPG.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've not really seen any for the last 20 years, truth be known.

This is an interesting observation. Something similar was going through my mind too, but then I was thinking that I no longer hang out in places where SPGs might so maybe it's just me.
Boat Quay on Friday nights used to be stalked by packs of wannabe-SPGs on the hunt. The ones who'd had their 'first blood' tended to be savvier and stalk the more embedded FTs in places like the pubs on Sultan Mohammed Rd and nearby Zouk/Velvet Undergound.

These days the Quays seem much more for tourists, so, many less SPGs cruising about down there.

amui
Regular
Regular

Postby amui » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:25 pm

[
There is wannabe SPGs?

Gosh I suppose I am sooo outdated on this. I haven't manage to figure out which one is SPG and now there's wannabe SPGs? :???:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:54 pm

For me it is about gold digging among the White males where the girls/women use primarily their sexual attributes and popular drinking places to attract the males. The stereotype has the fake accent component, but I don't see it any relevant.

I don't think the male analogue exists. The yellow fever is IMHO something very different.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 5:57 pm

Jim Aitchison & Theseus Chan wrote three books (Booklets - they were softcover but around A5 size) and were written in the 1990's I have at least two of them and maybe all three. They are almost cartoon like and funny as hell if you are a western man, but a Local Girl might take offense at some of it but if they have a sense of humour, then you'll be okay. You used be be able to find them at Top 10, The Giniviy, Brannigans, Xanadu and others clubs of that ilk back then. The average SPG was not the brightest bulb in the chandelier but knew how to attract the western male with all the vixen vices. Education of females kind of killed off the SPG I think. I'm sure there are still some out there, but I wouldn't know where to look, frankly. Most of the women you find in the clubs today can more than pay for their own way and only take what 'they' want and not whatever they can get (looking for a ticket out of Singapore basically).

http://www.amazon.com/Sarong-Party-Girl ... 9813056363

Code switching is not the usage of different accents, but the switching from Singlish to English and back depending on the listener. Using different accents is just being pretentious.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 6:02 pm

amui wrote:3. Gosh, I suppose I have to go and get myself a book. I just don't see any SPG around me, even when I am hanging out with friends at Boat Q, CQ or club street, etc. I have live here for more than 10 years now and just don't see or notice SPGs at all.

They used to be easy to spot. On a Friday night we'd often leave work (Raffles Place) and go for a few beers at the Penny Black, or Harry's. We'd often be there at a table or two just unwinding after the week, watching the crowds go by. You'd notice the SPGs* arriving, they'd appear at the UOB Plaza end, and cruise the strip, eyes everywhere. Big hair, stilettos, spandex micro tube dresses, hunting in a pack of 4-6/+. If one got visual 'lock-on' to possible prey they'd pause like a terrier about to leap on a rat, then give you 'that look', together with some gratuitous hair-flicking and sticking out of the boobs. As you can imagine it was amusing to observe, not only them but how others around responded to them... :)

I don't think you see that there any more. Anyone dressed and acting like that now is not going to be in such a blatant foraging pack. Also I reckon these days it's more likely to be off-duty DHs than locals. The locals seem to upped their game, and so are at less transient and more$ locations. They've also upped their game and dress/act far more classy than they used to. Hence, they're far harder to spot.

I don't know if those books are still in print. As you might imagine there was a pretty limited market for them even despite the novelty.
I still have all three editions somewhere on the wall of bookshelves behind me. If they happen to be out of print and you can't find them on-line, then maybe I'm at liberty to post up a few representative pages to give you an idea? :)

* Curious the Wiki entry is to 'Sarong Party Girl', and suggests that that's a historic expression. At the time the books came out it was a given that SPG = Singapore Party Girl, but the authors would have known using that title wouldn't definitely have got them banned, hence they changed Singapore to Sarong... hmm, don't know.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 6:10 pm

amui wrote:There is wannabe SPGs?

That's the ones who are fresh to the hunt, yet to get first blood. Innocent looking despite the contrary signals given off by the outfit. Once they've gotten into their stride they behaved more boldly - no time to mess about, there's a goal to be hit tonight. Those were the one's that were amusing to observe, as their behaviour was such a contrast to the usually demure and reserved locals.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 6:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Code switching is not the usage of different accents, but the switching from Singlish to English and back depending on the listener. Using different accents is just being pretentious.

It's been discussed here before, though IIRC it was a long time ago. If you imagine going to live in a new place an element of one's success comes down to fitting into society, having things in common with those you live amongst; being part of their tribe. Code-switching can be part of that. It is subconscious, and quite a natural phenomenon, but it's also temporary. When removed from that foreign environment you quickly or immediately lose the 'switch'.

Some people adopt accents 'to be cool', but that's a very different thing. Others, like perhaps students who travel abroad to study in UK, US, Aus etc, come back home and maintain their switched accents. Perhaps in such cases it's more about 'Look at me, I've been living abroad, I'm different'. More about consciously showing off a difference, than subconsciously seeking affinity.

amui
Regular
Regular

Postby amui » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 7:11 pm

This is funny. "that look", hair flicking, boobs up..hahahaha...this is hilarious and definitely interesting to watch.

Please do post few so at least I have some idea and have something to laugh about (tough day at work)

1 of my colleagues told me that SPG (Sarong Party Girl) started from SQ stewardess, who only hang out at VIP clubs and only with white people or pilot captain, etc. I suppose there are few backgrounds about SPG.

This indeed a very interesting topic. Very colorful. :mrgreen:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2016 7:43 pm

I don't know when this article was written -> http://goldsea.com/Asiagate/Entertainme ... apore.html but The Front Page is somewhere that the more embedded and long-term FTs used to hang out. They had pool tables at the back which were regularly in use by groups of off-duty SQ girls together with FT friends. The SQers were usually there on w/e's and part of that crowd and scene, so it was only newbie FTs who went and tried hitting on them :)

I'll have to try and determine where those books are located amongst the wall of books; I'm sure I'll dig them out in due course.

I'm not sure about a connection between SQ girls and SPGs. IME the SQ girls already had a social circle incl FTs, in fact quite a lot of them dated FTs, and they were well above cruising the Quays for action. And of course they'd travelled a hell of a lot and so relatively had a broad foreign perspective... i.e. they could relate well to FTs as they'd insight into the FTs home cultures. You could suggest SQ girls due to their travels grew away from the typical SGn stereotype. Whereas SPGs tended to embody the worst of the SGn stereotype, and their experience of foreign places was often limited.