Singapore Expats

Aircon servicing every 3 months - Tenant Pay?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sokkorn.cheav

Aircon servicing every 3 months - Tenant Pay?

Post by sokkorn.cheav » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 9:33 pm

Hi Reader,

Sorry if I post wrong location.

Can anyone verify attached pic and let me know your thought who will pay aircon service? tenant or landlord?

Regards,
Sokkorn

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Aircon servicing every 3 months - Tenant Pay?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 9:40 pm

You will probably have to pay as the picture is broken and we cannot see anything.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 7:04 am

I find it funny that airconditioners in Singapore are "required" to be serviced every three months. That's more often than cars (6 months) in countries where they're expected to be driven longer distances and more often. And cars have airconditioners too.

I did a quick google search and one (most probably US based) website recommends once a year.

Izzit (see what I did there?) the humidity? The particulate matter from Indonesia? Or AC filters for tropical countries break down sooner?

:-k :? :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 7:34 am

AC in tropical countries is used more often than the world average. Most of the "Western" expats I know use the aircon at least overnight and if this is the case, servicing it every 3 months is perfectly right. Now, as there is no usage counter on the AC units nor any reliable method to determine whether the maintenance service should be done, how would you ensure it is serviced as required? I don't like paying for it neither because I use AC maybe a few hours a month, but I sort of understand why it is this way.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 7:38 am

x9200 wrote:I don't like paying for it neither because I use AC maybe a few hours a month, but I sort of understand why it is this way.
What we did in when we rented was tell the agent that we don't use the AC everyday (honest!) and request to decrease the interval. Most landlords are amenable to that.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sokkorn.cheav

Post by sokkorn.cheav » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 10:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will probably have to pay as the picture is broken and we cannot see anything.
Hi sundaymorningstaple,

Here is pic https://goo.gl/photos/aAfCbRHiPRz7zHYg9
Can you check and suggest?

Regards,
Sokkorn

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 11:31 am

sokkorn.cheav wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will probably have to pay as the picture is broken and we cannot see anything.
Hi sundaymorningstaple,

Here is pic https://goo.gl/photos/aAfCbRHiPRz7zHYg9
Can you check and suggest?

Regards,
Sokkorn
That was a tough question.

You (tenant) must pay for the service.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 12:07 pm

Yep, I concur. You have to pay for the service. No doubts.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 12:52 pm

It's the world's biggest ripoff. Here in sunny Houston, where the aircon runs 18 hours a day from June until October, a yearly check and a bi-annual cleaning of the outdoor coil is about all that is ever done. That, and a twice a year cleaning of the condenser coil drain hose... mold builds up.

It's one more silly aspect of the landlord requirements... money wasted... chalk it up as more rent.

sokkorn.cheav

Post by sokkorn.cheav » Wed, 02 Mar 2016 2:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, I concur. You have to pay for the service. No doubts.
Thank you :)

Regards,
Sokkorn

lilith

Post by lilith » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 8:14 pm

Hope it's not too late to warn you about all those damn aircon-cons out there. Just don't let them take your unit apart to 'inspect'. If you decide not to use them, say goodbye to some important spark plug looking thingy that will disappear from right under your nose

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 6:59 am

I think its a big rip off considering the way the servicing is done, I also think there is a nexus between agents and air con service companies, the agent recommends certain companies and gets a payout on the side.
The servicing itself is as useless as a nuns cunt. Also I think its important to service the air con based on its operating environment than on a suggestion.
I only service air cons every once in a while that depends on me, my landlord doesn't give a fck just as long as I do it, I don't even have a contract anymore ( I used to when when I got here first )
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 7:53 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I think its a big rip off considering the way the servicing is done,
I pay 240 a year for 3 units to be serviced 4x a year, this gives $60 per trip. Fair transportation costs would be ~$20 leaving $40 for a 20min of work done by 2 people. Sounds to me pretty fair. An electrician just to hang one lamp from the ceiling cashes $40. Don't confuse fair with reasonable.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I also think there is a nexus between agents and air con service companies, the agent recommends certain companies and gets a payout on the side.
Never happened to me.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 8:37 am

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I think its a big rip off considering the way the servicing is done,
I pay 240 a year for 3 units to be serviced 4x a year, this gives $60 per trip. Fair transportation costs would be ~$20 leaving $40 for a 20min of work done by 2 people. Sounds to me pretty fair. An electrician just to hang one lamp from the ceiling cashes $40. Don't confuse fair with reasonable.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I also think there is a nexus between agents and air con service companies, the agent recommends certain companies and gets a payout on the side.
Never happened to me.
The point is that no aircon unit needs to be serviced that frequently.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 9:11 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:
Never happened to me.
The point is that no aircon unit needs to be serviced that frequently.
Even if it runs 16/24/7?