Singapore Expats

Professional Driving Instructor: which new occupation in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Lophophora

Professional Driving Instructor: which new occupation in Singapore?

Post by Lophophora » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 2:31 pm

Hi all,

I am currently a happy professional driving instructor in France and we are moving to SG in April, thanks to my wife who signed an expat contract. Though her salary would probably be enough to allow for our 3-kid family to live reasonably, I don't think I can stay without an occupation for long. Her company says they can provide an EP for me.

Obviously there is no chance I can apply for a similar job than my current occupation in SG since there is no race track there. Do you have ideas or tips about what I could do? My current occupation also includes theoretical training for premium car manufacturers sales consultants. Would that be an option?

x9200

Re: Professional Driving Instructor: which new occupation in Singapore?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 3:23 pm

As a professional driving instructor you will likely be preoccupied with taking care of your own mental health watching the local traffic. If you still have time, you may also consider pursuing a degree (MSc or PhD) with the subject related to the local traffic related phenomena. There should be some good topics, for example, why the local drivers can perfectly park their cars reversing while this is perhaps the only skill they managed to master. Another topic could be, the necessity to reach the car in front for the process of making the decision of changing the lane.

More seriously, you may try what you suggested in the last sentence, but if you want to work, your wife's company should provide you with DP, not EP. I believe some of the cars dealers may consider especially if you are a Caucasian.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 3:30 pm

I would look at everything from the F1 event here (which surely needs professional input), the same in Malaysia to exotic high end car dealers looking for an exotic Frenchman to teach the tai-tais (Les Maîtresse) how to drive their new Lambo to buying my friends race car simulation company (PM me for details) to perhaps upgrading your skills. I personally think you're going to have a great time here - Singapore has to be one of the places in the world with the highest % of performance cars per capita multiplied by the highest number of poor drivers.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 4:07 pm

You will definitely need a refillable script for a strong sedative if you are a professional Driving Instructor. Most vehicle owners here never learn how to drive but only how to aim/point the car. Oh, and cars here are not equipped with turn signals. (Purely optional equipment for foreigners). You are in for a treat!!!!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 6:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:. Oh, and cars here are not equipped with turn signals. (Purely optional equipment for foreigners).
You and I might know them as turn signals, to the locals it's a small lever, of no apparent use, which is fun to play with when bored. :wink:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Professional Driving Instructor: which new occupation in Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 7:03 pm

bgd wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:. Oh, and cars here are not equipped with turn signals. (Purely optional equipment for foreigners).
You and I might know them as turn signals, to the locals it's a small lever, of no apparent use, which is fun to play with when bored. :wink:
But the hazard lights are of extreme importance, to chope the parking spot ....

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 7:28 pm

The traffic police uses the turn signals in almost 100% situations were they are required. For the whole rest, it would be highly misleading. Think, would you...do you trust such signals in Singapore? I, for that example, always wait for the actual turn to be at least half way before I do anything dependant.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 8:02 pm

I got behind one of them tonight. She made a series of 5 left>right>left>right>left turns before she could decided which lane she perceived was moving faster. Half into each lane then half into the other lane back and forth. In the end she ended up in the slower lane anyway. Had to chuckle to myself. Oh, and never a turn signal at all. Of course I could understand in her condition, hell, she couldn't figure out where she wanted to go, let alone try to figure out what that little lever was for.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 8:30 pm

Met this kind yesterday morning. Would probably be funny if the last turn was not done abruptly right in front of me. One can get use to it, the only problem I see is that they are also getting more and more aggressive.