Singapore Expats

Moisture and piano

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Lophophora

Moisture and piano

Post by Lophophora » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 5:15 am

Hi,
We are going to move to SG (from France) and I am wondering about bringing my piano there. I've heard that high moisture levels will damage books, paintings... would that be powerful enough to damage my piano too? I will miss it a lot if I leave it in France but on the other hand I wouldn't want to ruin it. What do you think?

nakatago

Re: Moisture and piano

Post by nakatago » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 5:21 am

Lophophora wrote:Hi,
We are going to move to SG (from France) and I am wondering about bringing my piano there. I've heard that high moisture levels will damage books, paintings... would that be powerful enough to damage my piano too? I will miss it a lot if I leave it in France but on the other hand I wouldn't want to ruin it. What do you think?
Where are you going to live? Singaporean condos and HDBs are smaller than most (not sure if smaller than France's, though). Moreover, how long will you be in Singapore?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Lophophora

Post by Lophophora » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 5:30 am

Hello,
We are looking at a town house in Clementi. We are coming for 2 years (renewable). There will be room for a piano, my concern is its condition when I will bring it back...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 6:56 am

Most pianos here survive - we have a tube thing fitted to ours which keeps the humidity down and the inside dry (I think it's like a small heater). However if your piano is old - I wouldn't risk it as the glue and wood may also delaminate. FYI it's very possible to buy second hand pianos here from dealers and then sell them when you leave back to the dealer. Tuning and delivery included.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 8:07 am

The climate is absolutely brutal, re: clothes, paintings, antiques etc. Humidity, heat, pests, UV etc. You don't tend to notice before it's already had a negative effect. It's a real challenge deciding what to bring and what to store.
There is stuff I wish I'd never have brought to SEAsia as it's certainly suffered such passive damage. The flipside is I went away for an an expected 2-3 years, and it's currently 8 and counting, and the stuff back home in storage has racked up huge fees. No idea what amongst it I might wish to see again.
I reckon if in doubt don't bring it. Get a keyboard 'in the interim', and enjoy mastering some of it's modern features? And look forward to getting back to your old-reliable, then supplemented with your new '2nd keyboard'?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 8:18 am

Manufacturers produce pianos specifically for that climate / humidity as per PNGMK. I will not use it straight. If there is a way to get it climate-fitted with the manufacturer.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Mar 2016 12:28 pm

Lophophora wrote:Hi,
It really depends upon how much you plan on using air conditioning. If your piano room is open to the elements the majority of the day, then it is not only humidity, which varies with rain, time of day, etc, but also heat, which becomes most pronounced in the afternoon.

If you're willing to spend money for aircon, at least to keep your piano within reasonable limits, all will be good. Otherwise, the humidity and heat will take a toll... over time.

Lophophora

Post by Lophophora » Sun, 13 Mar 2016 4:23 am

Thanks.

I decided not to bring my piano there. I might buy a used piano and sell it before leaving, I guess it won't lose too much value in 2 years...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 8:51 am

Lophophora wrote:Thanks.

I decided not to bring my piano there. I might buy a used piano and sell it before leaving, I guess it won't lose too much value in 2 years...
My wife bought a used but new condition Yamaha upright for $3000 with a buy back guarantee for $2500.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 9:23 am

i hate pianists! sit there and go plunk plunk all day and annoy the shit out of me,freak hdb beethovens!

/rant

sorry its a monday and i need more than freak coffee and asprin to get me through this day
and if someone asks me another annoying question, there freak birds from flying from my finger all day.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 9:24 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:i hate pianists! sit there and go plunk plunk all day and annoy the shit out of me,freak hdb beethovens!

/rant

sorry its a monday and i need more than freak coffee and asprin to get me through this day
and if someone asks me another annoying question, there freak birds from flying from my finger all day.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:12 am

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:i hate pianists! sit there and go plunk plunk all day and annoy the shit out of me,freak hdb beethovens!

/rant

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
what display? :o
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 11:18 am

What's a ludicrous?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers