Singapore Expats

Bringing over relative to live long term in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
georgebenice

Bringing over relative to live long term in Singapore

Post by georgebenice » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:18 am

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience bringing over a parent to live in Singapore? My mother lives alone overseas and as she gets older I would like to take more care of her. Not only that but the benefit of a live in helper here would reduce a lot of my anxieties as compared to her living unassisted overseas. I am a Permanent Resident here and in the longer term if there were a way for her to stay here (other than the Long term visitor pass) then it reduces my need to consider moving back home to look after her.
Is there a scheme, immigration pass or program for this? A few of my expat friends have left the country to return to look after aging parents and I know they looked into this too and I doubt I'll get any different options, but fingers crossed if anyone has been able to do so.
TIA

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Bringing over relative to live long term in Singapore

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 1:30 pm

georgebenice wrote:Hi,
Does anyone have any experience bringing over a parent to live in Singapore? My mother lives alone overseas and as she gets older I would like to take more care of her. Not only that but the benefit of a live in helper here would reduce a lot of my anxieties as compared to her living unassisted overseas. I am a Permanent Resident here and in the longer term if there were a way for her to stay here (other than the Long term visitor pass) then it reduces my need to consider moving back home to look after her.
Is there a scheme, immigration pass or program for this? A few of my expat friends have left the country to return to look after aging parents and I know they looked into this too and I doubt I'll get any different options, but fingers crossed if anyone has been able to do so.
TIA
George - Be - Nice :)

Well, as a PR your options now are limited to LTVP. What ails the LTVP ?

Gone are those days where parents of PRs too get PR very easily.

There is no 'program' for this need of yours.

x9200

Re: Bringing over relative to live long term in Singapore

Post by x9200 » Thu, 25 Feb 2016 1:37 pm

I am not aware of any other way than an LTVP where your mother is a grandmother of a kid studying in Singapore and the mother of the kid does not live in Singapore.