Singapore Expats Forum
 

Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:37 pm

They are now valid for 5 years. Want to annoy a subcon? Show him the list of countries on the back that you can enter without a visa... (19 on my current one including some hard ones like China and VN).

The good news is that I believe the USA has finally opened up applications for US citizens. Be warned though the paper work is horrendous.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Apr 2016 4:56 pm

piece of cake if you are already on GE (or nexus?).

but the US ABTC is not all that convenient... lots of explaining at passport control about why i am using a card with zero endorsements at the back.

$70 worth of win-some lose-some, IMO, but a better deal now that it's got a 5 year validity.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 07 Apr 2016 9:02 pm

remind me to say something nice to you in a lift again! ... jk! congrats..
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1667
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 6:42 pm
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by ScoobyDoes » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 11:17 am

I was surprised a couple of weeks ago seeing Myanmar is not included, as part of ASEAN......I have my first trip there in a couple of weeks and was hoping to avoid the USD70 visa fee.....ah well, through the years have successfully saved Vietnam, Indonesia and China fees, plus the lost passport page.

It's great whizzing through immigration :) but since I got my new one in the middle of last year, still only three years.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 1:01 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I was surprised a couple of weeks ago seeing Myanmar is not included, as part of ASEAN......I have my first trip there in a couple of weeks and was hoping to avoid the USD70 visa fee.....ah well, through the years have successfully saved Vietnam, Indonesia and China fees, plus the lost passport page.

It's great whizzing through immigration :) but since I got my new one in the middle of last year, still only three years.
Myanmar nationals need visa in advance to visit Singapore.. even though both are in ASEAN. That says something I guess.

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by MikeJones » Sat, 09 Apr 2016 4:06 pm

The A in ABTC is for APEC not ASEAN, Myanmar is not a member of APEC, same goes for Cambodia and Laos who are ASEAN members but not APEC.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 7437
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 9:26 am

MikeJones wrote:The A in ABTC is for APEC not ASEAN, Myanmar is not a member of APEC, same goes for Cambodia and Laos who are ASEAN members but not APEC.
Yes, it's easy to get the two confused and now with ASEAN immigration queues hard to remember that the A is Asean does NOT include Australia (or does it?).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8338
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by nakatago » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 12:53 pm

PNGMK wrote:
MikeJones wrote:The A in ABTC is for APEC not ASEAN, Myanmar is not a member of APEC, same goes for Cambodia and Laos who are ASEAN members but not APEC.
Yes, it's easy to get the two confused and now with ASEAN immigration queues hard to remember that the A is Asean does NOT include Australia (or does it?).
The a's stand for "Association" and "Asia," as in Southeast Asia.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Got my new ABTC card - suck it subconns...

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 1:17 pm

nakatago wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
MikeJones wrote:The A in ABTC is for APEC not ASEAN, Myanmar is not a member of APEC, same goes for Cambodia and Laos who are ASEAN members but not APEC.
Yes, it's easy to get the two confused and now with ASEAN immigration queues hard to remember that the A is Asean does NOT include Australia (or does it?).
The a's stand for "Association" and "Asia," as in Southeast Asia.
Also Ang Moh's in Asia.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron